REQ: Reverse-steering bicycle

Old May 18th 04, 09:00 PM
Camel

Default REQ: Reverse-steering bicycle

Hi there,

Does anyone know where I can get construction diagrams for a
reverse-steering bicycle? The kind you sometimes see at festivals.

After Googling this to death, I have still come up with nothing.

Many thanks,
Tim
Old May 19th 04, 01:24 AM
Pete

Default Reverse-steering bicycle

"Camel" wrote in message
Hi there,

Does anyone know where I can get construction diagrams for a
reverse-steering bicycle? The kind you sometimes see at festivals.

After Googling this to death, I have still come up with nothing.

Many thanks,
Tim

Construction diagrams? Probably not, as it is generally found to be a bad
idea.
Pics and discussions:
http://home.earthlink.net/~wm.patterson/index.html
http://www.recumbents.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=85

Some 'bent trikes
http://wannee.nl/hpv/abt/e-abd.htm
http://www.sidewindercycle.com/index.htm

How to build a RWS trike:
http://www.ihpva.org/people/tstrike/rws.htm

HTH, and be careful

google for rws bicycke or rws trike

Pete

Old May 19th 04, 03:59 AM
Mitch Haley

Pete wrote:
Construction diagrams? Probably not, as it is generally found to be a bad
idea.

Back in the Carter/Claybrook administration (how did that idiot ever
gain respect as a safety expert, anyway?), the NHTSA built a backwards
steering motorcycle. The idea was that it would be safer if the front
wheel wasn't burdened with doing most of the steering and braking.
Too bad they couldn't find anybody who could ride the thing. A NHSTA
official (maybe Claybrook herself) said that maybe it would work if
they could find somebody who had never ridden a normal bike to ride it.

Mitch.
Old May 19th 04, 04:21 AM
Pete

"Mitch Haley" wrote in message
Pete wrote:
Construction diagrams? Probably not, as it is generally found to be a

bad
idea.

Back in the Carter/Claybrook administration (how did that idiot ever
gain respect as a safety expert, anyway?), the NHTSA built a backwards
steering motorcycle. The idea was that it would be safer if the front
wheel wasn't burdened with doing most of the steering and braking.
Too bad they couldn't find anybody who could ride the thing. A NHSTA
official (maybe Claybrook herself) said that maybe it would work if
they could find somebody who had never ridden a normal bike to ride it.

Mitch.

It ends up being like a forklift. Excellent for precision close quarters but
bad at anything over jogging speed.

The USAF uses a low, big gokart size thing for loading munitions on jets.
Rear wheel steering. Maybe 15mph top speed. Evil handling. Instead of the
front end turning *into* the corner, the back end swings out.

The venerable "Jammer" http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/vfe/vfe9.htm

After a while, some people got very good. Others never quite got it.

It is almost impossible not to overcorrect. Partially because of the
incredible slop in the linkage, but also partly due to RWS. Every once in a
while, a new guy would get thrown off. Slight turn, overcorrect, ocillations
of increasing amplitude as he tried to get it back under control...The 70's
models were 3 speed manual transmission, and it would go in circles at idle
until he could jump back on.

I couldn't imagine it on two wheels.

Pete

Old May 23rd 04, 05:45 AM
J999w

You mean like the rear wheel steers or like you've crossed your hands to the
other side of the handlebars. (try THAT sometime!).

jw