kryptonite locks so far bad

Old December 22nd 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
ilaboo[_2_]

Default kryptonite locks so far bad

1st one--combination lock type of thing $19.00 lasted 2 months before th
flip part to change combo just fell off and lock stopped working.

2nd one a key type lock--same prize--lock lasted 2 months before lock would
not lock

3rd one--lock type $25.oo small protective metal winddows--one windo stuck
open

all locks where cable type

i am not sure there is any quality control on these

fwiw

peter

Old December 22nd 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
nash

"ilaboo" wrote in message
1st one--combination lock type of thing $19.00 lasted 2 months before th
flip part to change combo just fell off and lock stopped working.

2nd one a key type lock--same prize--lock lasted 2 months before lock
would not lock

3rd one--lock type $25.oo small protective metal winddows--one windo stuck
open

all locks where cable type

i am not sure there is any quality control on these

fwiw

peter

Why wouldn't you send it back for a replacement or for money. Online they
might or the store might.
I have had 2. the new Yorker and the evolution both worth upwards of $70
and they are perfect if this is any kind of survey.

Old December 23rd 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
ilaboo[_2_]

peter
Why wouldn't you send it back for a replacement or for money.

place where i baught them just exchanged them

should note that i park my bike on an open pier covered

and i ride no matter what the weather--I really dont think these locks are
made for the type of biking i do--my latest kryptonite lock stuggles to open
in the wet cold days we are having in nyc--i am not looking forward to real
freezing weather and a lock that does not open--a pox on kryptonites house

take care
peter

Old December 23rd 07, 05:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
nash

"ilaboo" wrote in message
peter

Why wouldn't you send it back for a replacement or for money.

place where i baught them just exchanged them

should note that i park my bike on an open pier covered

and i ride no matter what the weather--I really dont think these locks are
made for the type of biking i do--my latest kryptonite lock stuggles to
open in the wet cold days we are having in nyc--i am not looking forward
to real freezing weather and a lock that does not open--a pox on
kryptonites house

take care
peter

Oh, that reminds me, cause I leave a couple bikes outside and I had one for
snow, I took it riding because I had to go out and the damn derailleur
broke off within a mile and got wrapped into the spokes. had to walk it
home another half mile. I figure it was just the cold and cheap parts. My
GT performed fine once I could use the narrow tires again. I think the
kryptonite though (expensive ones) being through hardened steel will not
break and I would use iced lock opener for your lock too in the icy cold.
Bless you for taking on that winter on a bicycle.

Old December 23rd 07, 06:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
ZBicyclist

nash wrote:
"ilaboo" wrote in message
[...]

I've had this happen on the day after I rode through a snowstorm, with the
temperature just below freezing. I figured there was ice in the derailleur,
which made it act unnaturally under pressure to shift to a lower gear. The
cold itself shouldn't have much effect on a derailleur.

--
Mike Kruger
Gravity -- It's not just a good idea. It's the law.

Old December 23rd 07, 10:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dennis P. Harris

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 23:23:57 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, "nash"
wrote:

I have had 2. the new Yorker and the evolution both worth upwards of $70
and they are perfect if this is any kind of survey.

I watched a thief break a Kryptonite on someone's Cannondale in a
few seconds. Guy jumped out of a pickup, jammed an 8 foot 2x4
between the lock & the signpost to which it was locked, twisted
it, snapped the lock, grabbed the bike & jumped into the back of
the waiting pickup, which zipped away.

It all happened in front of several hundred people at Westlake
Plaza in downtown Seattle on a sunny summer Saturday afternoon.

Old December 23rd 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

wrote:
I have had 2. the new Yorker and the evolution both worth upwards of $70
and they are perfect if this is any kind of survey.

I watched a thief break a Kryptonite on someone's Cannondale in a
few seconds. Guy jumped out of a pickup, jammed an 8 foot 2x4
between the lock & the signpost to which it was locked, twisted
it, snapped the lock, grabbed the bike & jumped into the back of
the waiting pickup, which zipped away.

It all happened in front of several hundred people at Westlake
Plaza in downtown Seattle on a sunny summer Saturday afternoon.

That's why a mini-u around the rear wheel is the best bet. Not enough
room for a 2x4.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

I'm surprised the OP still has a bike, using a cable lock in NYC.
Yikes.
Old December 23rd 07, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Dec 23, 5:17 am, (Tom Keats) wrote:

wrote:

I have had 2. the new Yorker and the evolution both worth upwards of $70
and they are perfect if this is any kind of survey.

I watched a thief break a Kryptonite on someone's Cannondale in a
few seconds. Guy jumped out of a pickup, jammed an 8 foot 2x4
between the lock & the signpost to which it was locked, twisted
it, snapped the lock, grabbed the bike & jumped into the back of
the waiting pickup, which zipped away.

It all happened in front of several hundred people at Westlake
Plaza in downtown Seattle on a sunny summer Saturday afternoon.

That's why it's a good idea to supplement/encumber
a U-lock with a cable lock (around the U-lock.)
IOW, lock the lock.

Of course, thieves may have something with which to
cut the cable, as well as to crack the U-lock.

That's why I'd never lock a bike that's "sexy" to thieves outside. I
locked a $800 Nexus bike in sketchy areas of Chicago overnight all the
time--with hand painted fenders, electrical tape, and a plastic bag on
the seat. Never a problem.

If they want your bike, it's easy enough to pop any lock short of the
most heavy and hardened NYC models. Trick is to remove the "want".
When I had a Brodie Energy city bike last year, strangers would ask me
"dude, how much was that" as it had an air of exoticness (this *is*
Tennessee) and they'd drool. Sold it and bought a Redline 925 last
fall and a Kona Dew with fenders/racks/stand this fall. The dudes at
the liquor store keep asking me where my "cool" bike is, meaning the
Brodie. The only person who's commented on the Kona is a Korean native
that said, "well, that looks practical" and she's not a thief. :-P

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2201/...da203cd5_b.jpg

Old December 24th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

landotter wrote:
If they want your bike, it's easy enough to pop any lock short of the
most heavy and hardened NYC models. Trick is to remove the "want".
When I had a Brodie Energy city bike last year, strangers would ask me
"dude, how much was that" as it had an air of exoticness (this *is*
Tennessee) and they'd drool. Sold it and bought a Redline 925 last
fall and a Kona Dew with fenders/racks/stand this fall. The dudes at
the liquor store keep asking me where my "cool" bike is, meaning the
Brodie. The only person who's commented on the Kona is a Korean native
that said, "well, that looks practical" and she's not a thief. :-P

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2201/...da203cd5_b.jpg

Try some bikes like these to remove the "want" factor:
http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/joe/MVC-003S.JPG,
http://www.outsideconnection.com/gallant/hpv/joe/MVC-007S.JPG.

POST FREE OR DIE!

question about kryptonite locks Haakon Studebaker General 11 August 23rd 05 04:10 PM
Kryptonite locks Ian Smith UK 20 January 17th 05 06:46 AM
Kryptonite locks showed up Dan Daniel General 3 November 11th 04 05:37 PM
Kryptonite locks john riley Recumbent Biking 2 September 18th 04 01:23 AM
Kryptonite Locks safe? Thomas Schmidt Mountain Biking 60 July 7th 04 08:00 AM