Where can I buy rubber shims?

Old May 12th 10, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joseph Shraibman

Default Where can I buy rubber shims?

Does anyone know where I can buy rubber shims for handlebar mounted
items? I haven't been able to find anything searching the internet.
Old May 12th 10, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Colin Nelson

Joseph Shraibman wrote:
Does anyone know where I can buy rubber shims for handlebar mounted
items? I haven't been able to find anything searching the internet.

Many of us use old innertubes (cut to a suitable size).

--
Colin N.

Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... But the wind is mostly in your face

Old May 13th 10, 12:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Eric Babula

"Colin Nelson" wrote in news:awEGn.30521
:

Joseph Shraibman wrote:
Does anyone know where I can buy rubber shims for handlebar mounted
items? I haven't been able to find anything searching the internet.

Many of us use old innertubes (cut to a suitable size).

Yep, old innertubes - keep 'em - they come in handy!

Reduce. Reuse. Recycle.
Old May 13th 10, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

On 12/05/10 10:02 AM, Joseph Shraibman wrote:
Does anyone know where I can buy rubber shims for handlebar mounted
items? I haven't been able to find anything searching the internet.

Some hardware stores sell rubber, in various thicknesses, by the foot.
the large old-style rubber patches for tires can be purchased from
"http://www.harborfreight.com/56-piece-radial-tire-patch-kit-97215.html"
and has some large enough pieces to cut for shims.

You could also buy a thornproof bicycle tube and get shims thick enough
to be useful. A regular tube is too thin unless you make a long shim and
wrap it around several times.
Old May 13th 10, 03:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Brian Huntley

On May 12, 9:51*pm, SMS wrote:

You could also buy a thornproof bicycle tube and get shims thick enough
to be useful

I always thought a thornproof tube was an imaginary product, like
plaid paint.
Old May 13th 10, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

SMS wrote:

You could also buy a thornproof bicycle tube and get shims thick enough
to be useful. A regular tube is too thin unless you make a long shim and
wrap it around several times.

Which has never been a problem for me, I just start and end with a bit
of electrical tape. Many bike accessories come with more than one shim,
so by this time, I have a bunch of them (and various clamps and
brackets), but frequently none are the thickness I need, multiple wraps
have always worked, even to shim a seat stay for a saddle post bracket.

Seatpost shims Dre[_3_] Australia 17 August 19th 08 02:39 PM
Seatpost shims Dre[_3_] Mountain Biking 8 August 15th 08 01:07 AM
Seatpost shims Dre[_3_] Techniques 15 August 14th 08 03:41 AM
Litespeed Arenberg Headset Shims [email protected] Techniques 0 December 2nd 07 06:54 AM
Will an 06 KH20 fit on a Torker DX hub with shims? Borgschulze Unicycling 12 November 27th 07 08:10 AM