Bicycle speedometer and odometer

Old October 31st 10, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

Default Bicycle speedometer and odometer

Looking for recommendations.

Speed and how far I have gone are the only necessities.

Want something to last longer than 2 weeks that the one from Target
lasted. :-)

Vielen Dank,
Andy
Old October 31st 10, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Andy wrote:
:Looking for recommendations.

:Speed and how far I have gone are the only necessities.

:Want something to last longer than 2 weeks that the one from Target
:lasted. :-)

I've had very good luck with the 10 buck schwinn (or bell) branded
ones from places like Wal-mart. What happened to yours?

--
sig 3
Old October 31st 10, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 30, 6:19*pm, Andy wrote:
Looking for recommendations.

Speed and how far I have gone are the only necessities.

Want something to last longer than 2 weeks that the one from Target
lasted. :-)

Vielen Dank,
* * * * * * * * * * Andy

Try a Sigma BC506. Under twenty bucks, and a really good unit.
Old October 31st 10, 09:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 30, 7:10*pm, landotter wrote:
On Oct 30, 6:19*pm, Andy wrote:

Looking for recommendations.

Speed and how far I have gone are the only necessities.

Want something to last longer than 2 weeks that the one from Target
lasted. :-)

Vielen Dank,
* * * * * * * * * * Andy

Try a Sigma BC506. Under twenty bucks, and a really good unit.

There are several of these on E-bay in the $10 - $20 range.

Lewis.

*****
Old October 31st 10, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Andy:
Speed and how far I have gone are the only necessities.

Want something to last longer than 2 weeks that the one from Target
lasted. :-)

I've been using CatEye Velo2's for years. About twenty
dollars.

No problems.
--
PeteCresswell
Old October 31st 10, 05:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 30, 6:19*pm, Andy wrote:

Looking for recommendations.

Speed and how far I have gone are the only necessities.

Want something to last longer than 2 weeks that the one from Target
lasted. :-)

Vielen Dank,
* * * * * * * * * * Andy

Try a Sigma BC506. Under twenty bucks, and a really good unit.

There are several of these on E-bay in the $10 - $20 range.

Lewis.

*****

Cool thing about the Sigmas that I neglected to mention, is that you
can use the same mount for a headlight at night:

http://www.amazon.com/SIGMA-ILLUX-LE.../dp/B0012HI5ES

It's the Sigma Illux.
Old November 1st 10, 02:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

On Oct 31, 11:34*am, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Andy:

Speed and how far I have gone are the only necessities.

Want something to last longer than 2 weeks that the one from Target
lasted. :-)

I've been using CatEye Velo2's for years. * *About twenty
dollars.

No problems.

I've used the Enduro2 - the same as the Velo but with thicker wires. -
for a decade or more. I think they've been discontinued, however, as
I had to get my last one off eBay after I stupidly left it on the bike
and it got swiped.

Who steals bike computers, anyway? Don't they realize they're useless
without the wiring harness?
Old November 1st 10, 12:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

On 10/31/2010 11:34 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Andy:
Speed and how far I have gone are the only necessities.

Want something to last longer than 2 weeks that the one from Target
lasted. :-)

I've been using CatEye Velo2's for years. About twenty
dollars.

No problems.

For cheap and efficient, CatEye. You can get them on Ebay or Amazon for
pretty cheap.
Old November 1st 10, 02:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Brian Huntley:
Who steals bike computers, anyway? Don't they realize they're useless
without the wiring harness?

I think some people steal "just because it's there".

When I lived in Hawaii, I had prescription sunglasses stolen
while I was changing my clothes.

Also people who steal, by-and-large, are not unemployed rocket
scientists.
--
PeteCresswell
Old November 1st 10, 08:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jim Rogers

I have a related but slightly different question.

Does anyone know of a way to just get an odometer reading for a bike?
I don't care about speed and don't need a mileage display as I ride.

I'd just like to be able to know, say, at the end of the year that I
rode "x" miles on bike "y."

I could just get a cheap computer and mount it where ever and take a
read out when wanted, but if you don't see it regularly you don't know
if the battery is still good.

I guess I'm looking for a modern version of the old odometers that
used a peg in the spokes to actuate a stroke counter mounted on the
fork.

Is there any such thing today as a modern version of that type of
thing that might be actuated by something other than mechanical means
(e.g., a magnet)?

--Jim

FS Stewart Warner bicycle speedometer all metal old school [email protected] Marketplace 0 April 29th 09 12:15 PM
Trike Speedometer [email protected] Recumbent Biking 6 February 11th 07 04:51 PM
Speedometer on bike... footybet.net UK 1 June 13th 05 01:43 PM
Wireless speedometer Gizmo Mountain Biking 11 May 5th 05 10:58 PM
Speedometer cutout at 60 km/h? Dan Australia 6 February 18th 04 11:05 AM