LED headlights

Old October 31st 04, 06:32 PM
Steve Knight

I use a five LED white flasher on my helmet in addition to the
Halogen front lamp. The helmet lamp can be pointed towards the
oncoming car (usually at a sideroad) to (hopefully) get his attention.
He might not see the halogen lamp but the flashing lights usually do
the job.

my halogen lamp is so bright and covers so much area I don't want to aim it. I
blind enough drivers as it is (G) even a cyclist coming down the cycling path
had to squint (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old November 1st 04, 01:05 AM
Robert Haston

I've used anything from 2 to 20 watts. Like the manufacturers, I consider 5
watts the bottom of a decent commuter headlight, depending on conditions.

I would have to say that 5 watts on your head is worth much more on your
handlebars, because you can point it at the questionable spot in the road
ahead, or at that driver you aren't sure has seen you.

There are already LEDs that compete equally. Look at elektrolumens.com.
I'll be using one of them as a helmet light, and putting my 5 watt halogen
on the handlebars.

"Steve Knight" wrote in message
1. A 3 watt LED is going to be about as bright as a 5 watt halogen -
plenty
bright for commuting.

depends on your speed I like a minimum of 10 watts and prefer more. soon
we
should see LEDS that will replace halogen lights. there are a couple
companies
in the UK that have good units but nothing in the us.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Old November 1st 04, 06:18 AM
Steve Knight

There are already LEDs that compete equally. Look at elektrolumens.com.
I'll be using one of them as a helmet light, and putting my 5 watt halogen
on the handlebars.

but they are not really cycling lights. it take about 3 3 watt LEDS to give some
decent light. so far only a couple places in the UK are making them.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Headlights: candlepower vs. watts Michael Press Techniques 11 August 14th 04 10:38 PM
Cateye LED headlights Horace General 24 October 3rd 03 09:46 AM
High power LED headlights Matthew Myatt UK 2 August 18th 03 05:41 PM