Ride an SUB not an SUV

Old March 10th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
nash

Default THE REVOLUTION WILL

And this IS the last reply directed toward that little world of yours.

My goodness you are having a bad day.
Downhill also puts the rear wheel above the front in the first place.
Not everyone has abrupt stops going downhill only. There are other kinds.
Too bad you can not hear anyone but yourself.
Can"t teach anyone anything that knows it all is the rule I guess.
You have bad manners as well. bye

Old March 10th 07, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
George Conklin

Default Ride an BUS not an SUV

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message

"George Conklin" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Matthew T. Russotto" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
Baxter wrote:

And a lot of them that bought those $350,000 mini mansions 40 miles

from
work are now bankrupt and foreclosed since their property value fell
through the floor over the last year. How much equity in their

house?
About negative $100K.

Strange how the anti-urbanists in this forum just can't understand

that
the
reason the McMansions 30 miles from town are so cheap is that people

really
would rather have something in town - but can't afford it.

Nope, it's more a matter of supply than demand. There's far more space
in
the suburbs than the city.

The old cities are full. Besides, our population in the USA is
concentrating in fewer and fewer places as half of the counties lose
population. This is violent anti-sprawl behavior on the part of the
public.

Picturing the suburbs full of ravening executives...

Is that where you post your ravings from?

Old March 10th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
George Conklin

Default Ride an SUB not an SUV

"nash" wrote in message

"George Conklin" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Matthew T. Russotto" wrote in message
.

It's a failure of urban planning to micromanage every aspect of
everyone's lives so they can keep the buses full, which is a good

thing.

Major cities all have rush hours and off-hours. If anything is to
change, it is the nasty habit of wanting to be awake when the sun

shines,
and sleep when it is dark. Somehow we need a political program to
convince
us we are not animals.

We were cave people and that is where I biorythms come from even now.
A person on graveyard shift is more likely to get cancer because of it.

Factoid: We get about 1 hour less sleep each night now than they did 100
years ago.

Old March 10th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Amy Blankenship

"George Conklin" wrote in message
link.net...

The old cities are full. Besides, our population in the USA is
concentrating in fewer and fewer places as half of the counties lose
population. This is violent anti-sprawl behavior on the part of the
public.

Picturing the suburbs full of ravening executives...

Is that where you post your ravings from?

I'm nonviolently anti-sprawl...

Old March 10th 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Baxter

-
Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

Baxter wrote:

And a lot of them that bought those $350,000 mini mansions 40 miles

from
work are now bankrupt and foreclosed since their property value fell
through the floor over the last year. How much equity in their house?
About negative $100K.

Strange how the anti-urbanists in this forum just can't understand that

the
reason the McMansions 30 miles from town are so cheap is that people

really
would rather have something in town - but can't afford it.

Nope, it's more a matter of supply than demand. There's far more space in
the suburbs than the city.

Actually not. There' plenty of room in the city, but the developers can't
use production-line techniques.

Old March 10th 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Baxter

-
Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

"Matthew T. Russotto" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
Bill Baka wrote:

The difference is more than made up for when living in town. Spend more
on the house and less (maybe nothing) on new cars, gas, insurance, etc.

Nope. Provided you stick to decent neighborhoods and similar square
footage, you can't make up the difference. The money you save on
those things is of a smaller order of magnitude than the extra money
you spend on the house. Add in the extra property and other taxes
you'll pay in the city and things get even worse.

You're wrong. Until recently, the issue is that banks would loan money on
suburban houses but not on city houses. Being able to eliminate one car
saves a family $6,000 per year - which adds up quickly.

Old March 10th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Baxter

-
Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

"Matthew T. Russotto" wrote in message
t...

It's a failure of urban planning to micromanage every aspect of
everyone's lives so they can keep the buses full, which is a good thing.

That's rightard bull****. Nobody is trying to micromanage every aspect of
peoples lives -- except possibly Fundamentalist Christians.

Old March 10th 07, 12:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
George Conklin

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message

"George Conklin" wrote in message
link.net...

The old cities are full. Besides, our population in the USA is
concentrating in fewer and fewer places as half of the counties lose
population. This is violent anti-sprawl behavior on the part of the
public.

Picturing the suburbs full of ravening executives...

Is that where you post your ravings from?

I'm nonviolently anti-sprawl...

Areas of the country to which people are moving need to abandon farming
and make room since our population is concentrating. It is nonsense to stop
a process which began in 1840. With half of our counties losing population,
that is the tragedy. In Durham with RTP was created, it is total nonsense
to have cows grazing within about 4 miles of the place. That is stupid
protection.

Old March 10th 07, 12:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 12:35:49 GMT, "George Conklin"
wrote:

In Durham with RTP was created, it is total nonsense
to have cows grazing within about 4 miles of the place. That is stupid
protection.

Haven't left the US much?
Old March 10th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
George Conklin

news
wrote:

In Durham with RTP was created, it is total nonsense
to have cows grazing within about 4 miles of the place. That is stupid
protection.

Haven't left the US much?

Much what? With half the counties losing population, it is silly to keep
horse farms for the rich as a tax-subsidized land scheme within a short
distance of RTP. Cows are not needed a few miles from RTP, although I do
enjoy seeing mules on the way home from work. We always look for them to be
out, even if the land is for sale.