Trek vs Schwinn

Old March 14th 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dish

Default Trek vs Schwinn

Hi,

After a bit of research i have come down to two bikes... Trek 3700 for
$309 and 2006 Schwinn Mesa for $240...

being a first time buyer i don't really know which one would be better
as an entry level bike....

Any suggestions??

Dishant

Old March 14th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Banned

On Mar 13, 6:12 pm, "Dish" wrote:
Hi,

After a bit of research i have come down to two bikes... Trek 3700 for
$309 and 2006 Schwinn Mesa for $240...

being a first time buyer i don't really know which one would be better
as an entry level bike....

Any suggestions??

Dishant

Are they from a bike shop? If yes, I would opt for the Trek...much
less upheavals in their recent past than Schwinn...all around better
company

Old March 14th 07, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dish

On Mar 13, 9:52 pm, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
wrote:
On Mar 13, 6:12 pm, "Dish" wrote:

Hi,

After a bit of research i have come down to two bikes... Trek 3700 for
$309 and 2006 Schwinn Mesa for $240...

being a first time buyer i don't really know which one would be better
as an entry level bike....

Any suggestions??

Dishant

Are they from a bike shop? If yes, I would opt for the Trek...much
less upheavals in their recent past than Schwinn...all around better
company

yes they both are from bike shops..

Old March 14th 07, 11:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Just A User

On Mar 13, 6:12 pm, "Dish" wrote:
Hi,

After a bit of research i have come down to two bikes... Trek 3700 for
$309 and 2006 Schwinn Mesa for $240...

being a first time buyer i don't really know which one would be better
as an entry level bike....

Any suggestions??

Dishant

Are they from a bike shop? If yes, I would opt for the Trek...much
less upheavals in their recent past than Schwinn...all around better
company

I second the motion on the Trek. Better company, better quality, better
service etc, etc, etc.

Ken
Old March 14th 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Mar 14, 7:52 am, Just A User wrote:
I second the motion on the Trek. Better company, better quality, better
service etc, etc, etc.

While not a Trek fan, I have to back this up. They're still putting
out better than Schwinn, unless you can come across NOS from many
years ago, before schwinn went "downhill" shall we say.

Old March 14th 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Claire Petersky

"Dish" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

After a bit of research i have come down to two bikes... Trek 3700 for
$309 and 2006 Schwinn Mesa for $240...

being a first time buyer i don't really know which one would be better
as an entry level bike....

Any suggestions??

Scwhinn is not the company it was a few years ago -- it sold the name to a
Chinese company, and the strategy changed to only sell low-quality bikes.
I'd go with Trek.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

Old March 14th 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dish

On Mar 14, 10:23 am, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:
"Dish" wrote in message

ups.com...

Hi,

After a bit of research i have come down to two bikes... Trek 3700 for
$309 and 2006 Schwinn Mesa for $240...

being a first time buyer i don't really know which one would be better
as an entry level bike....

Any suggestions??

Scwhinn is not the company it was a few years ago -- it sold the name to a
Chinese company, and the strategy changed to only sell low-quality bikes.
I'd go with Trek.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Peterskyhttp://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
See the books I've set free at:http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

Thanks everyone... That was really helpful...

Cheers..

Old March 14th 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

Are they from a bike shop? If yes, I would opt for the Trek...much
less upheavals in their recent past than Schwinn...all around better
company

Gee, taking advantage of me being away (at the DC Bike Summit) so you can
say things about Trek???!!! :)

Of course, one of the ironies is that even Pacific Cycles, which owns
Schwinn, is a fairly strong supporter of bicycle advocacy. There are a
number of industry players here, including John Burke (Trek), Nick Andrade
(Pacific Cycles/Schwinn), Chris Fortune (Saris), and a few others not
presently coming to mind. I'll be spending time with them in various
congressional offices tomorrow.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
ps.com...

Old March 15th 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 14, 7:52 am, Just A User wrote:
I second the motion on the Trek. Better company, better quality, better
service etc, etc, etc.

While not a Trek fan, I have to back this up. They're still putting
out better than Schwinn, unless you can come across NOS from many
years ago, before schwinn went "downhill" shall we say.

Yep. Same here. Schwinn got bought out by Pacific Cycles a while back and
can be had in Wal-Marts. I do have a late 80s Schwinn Paramount (Waterford)
I love dearly and a Schwinn Mesa II Reynolds 520 MTB I beat around on, but
these were pre-Pacific Schwinns.