tire sizes

Old August 21st 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
bluezfolk

Default tire sizes

I have an old Diamondback Allure with 700x38 tires on it. Is there
any reason why I shouldn't replace them with 700x40 or 700x36 on the
same rims? It seems I haven't found very much selection in the 700x38
size.

Old August 21st 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike Jacoubowsky

I have an old Diamondback Allure with 700x38 tires on it. Is there
any reason why I shouldn't replace them with 700x40 or 700x36 on the
same rims? It seems I haven't found very much selection in the 700x38
size.

Most likely you can run anything from 700x28 up through 700x40 without a
problem. Rims aren't *that* picky about width.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old August 22nd 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

On Aug 21, 5:43 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:
I have an old Diamondback Allure with 700x38 tires on it. Is there
any reason why I shouldn't replace them with 700x40 or 700x36 on the
same rims? It seems I haven't found very much selection in the 700x38
size.

Most likely you can run anything from 700x28 up through 700x40 without a
problem. Rims aren't *that* picky about width.

I've found that run of the mill hybrid rims can almost always go down
to a real 25mm--but 28 is deffo a good safe bet. Something like a
Pasela 32mm tire that runs a bit narrow is a great all round width,
fast, yet robust.

I just got back from dropping off my car and riding through the
grimmest of urban detritus on my fixed gear with sturdy 30mm tires. I
don't think I'll ever go back to skinnies.

Anyway, the OP is likely going to be totally safe from 28 to about 40.
If in doubt, measure the inside diameter of the rim and check the
recommended tire sizes on Cap'n Bike's site, his recommendations are
pretty bang on:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html (scroll to the bottom)