Trikes? Trains? Cycling routes from Milwaukee to Chicago?

Old July 7th 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
[email protected][_2_]

Default Trikes? Trains? Cycling routes from Milwaukee to Chicago?

Hello,

I'm the proud owver of a Sun RB-3 recumbent trike.

Some day, in the future, I'd like to plan a trip from Milwaukee to
Chicago? I'd like to cycle there, but I'm unsure of cycling routes.So,
instead , I'll probably take the Amtrak.

Have any cyclists here transported thier bike via train?

If so, how'd it go? What did you have to do?

Do you think a train [Amtrak?] would carry a trike?

And, once I'm down in Chicago I'd like to plan some cycling-related
events. I'm pretty unfamiliar with the are, so I'd greatly appreciate
some suggestions (ie. cycling routes, bike paths, bike shops, etc.)

Thanks,
Cullen

Old July 7th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2008-07-07, wrote:

Some day, in the future, I'd like to plan a trip from Milwaukee to
Chicago? I'd like to cycle there, but I'm unsure of cycling routes.So,
instead , I'll probably take the Amtrak.

Most of the route is served by bike paths on the right-of-way of the old
Chicago, North Shore, and Milwaukee railroad. Milwaukee locals can give
you the best route from Milwaukee to Kenosha or Racine, where you can pick
this up.

Do you think a train [Amtrak?] would carry a trike?

While many Amtrak trains do, the Hiawatha from Milwaukee to Chicago does not.

And, once I'm down in Chicago I'd like to plan some cycling-related
events. I'm pretty unfamiliar with the are, so I'd greatly appreciate
some suggestions (ie. cycling routes, bike paths, bike shops, etc.)

The lakefront path is popular, but crowded in the summer. The city of Chicago
publishes a free bike map, showing trails, god biking streets, and shops in the
city. You can request one at http://www.chicagobikes.org/ and have it sent
to you. Kane County (west of the city, reachable by commuter train or trail),
also has a map at http://www.co.kane.il.us/dot/com/bicycle/ that shows some
nice routes, as well as the Fox River Trail.

The city of Milwaukee has maps as well. head over to
http://www.ci.mil.wi.us/maps4460.htm to get one.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Old July 8th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

aka Cullen Carter wrote:
Hello,

I'm the proud owver of a Sun RB-3 recumbent trike.

Some day, in the future, I'd like to plan a trip from Milwaukee to
Chicago? I'd like to cycle there, but I'm unsure of cycling routes.

Paging Ron Wallenfang. He can provide the route from the NW Milwaukee
suburbs to the Chicago lake front paths, and possibly the route from the
Fox Cites to Milwaukee.

So, instead , I'll probably take the Amtrak.

Let me know the date, and I will wave to you as you go by.

Have any cyclists here transported thier bike via train?

If so, how'd it go? What did you have to do?

Do you think a train [Amtrak?] would carry a trike?

As KZ says down-thread, the train does not take bicycles.

I wonder if they would waive that requirement if your doctor certified
that you needed the trike for mobility?

And, once I'm down in Chicago I'd like to plan some cycling-related
events. I'm pretty unfamiliar with the are, so I'd greatly appreciate
some suggestions (ie. cycling routes, bike paths, bike shops, etc.)

The lake front path is cool because, well it is the lake front.

Old July 9th 08, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
ZBicyclist

On 2008-07-07, Tom Sherman
wrote:
aka Cullen Carter wrote:
Hello,

I'm the proud owver of a Sun RB-3 recumbent trike.

Some day, in the future, I'd like to plan a trip from Milwaukee
Chicago? I'd like to cycle there, but I'm unsure of cycling
routes.

Paging Ron Wallenfang. He can provide the route from the NW
Milwaukee suburbs to the Chicago lake front paths, and possibly
the
route from the Fox Cites to Milwaukee.

Does Ron follow r.b.soc? I thought he only hung out in rb.misc
and
r.b.rides.

Good point. Cross-posts added, since this is on-topic for the
other
groups.
In any event, this place is a ghost town, and you might have more
success posting to the other groups.

Amazing how few posts there are when you ignore all the threads
started by He Who Must Not Be Named.

Ron W's certainly your man for this, but I thought I'd chime in a
bit.

There's a book on the Milwaukee-Chicago route.
http://www.trailresources.com/b042.html
This route uses a lot of bike trails, which you don't need to use.
Somewhere around here I have this book, which I would sell cheap. I
just thought it would provide an interesting contrast to Ron W's
route.

There's a cue sheet here
http://evanstonbikeclub.org/ASP/cuesheetlist.asp for South Milwaukee
to Evanston (just north of the city of Chicago). This is designed
for a one day 146 mile round trip.

--
Mike Kruger

"viewed in retrospect, it is clear that it has been quite
predictable."
(David Runciman) "I'd only call it "predictable" if you actually
predict it ahead of time" (Andrew Gelman)

Old July 9th 08, 04:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

On 2008-07-07, Tom Sherman
wrote:
aka Cullen Carter wrote:
[...]

Normally I not a great fan of bicycle trails, but there should be a
lakefront path from Green Bay to Pleasant Prairie, if for no other
reason than to provide public access to the lake front. Only a tiny
portion of the Lake Michigan shore being accessible is a public disgrace
and a robbing of the commons.

There's a cue sheet here
http://evanstonbikeclub.org/ASP/cuesheetlist.asp for South Milwaukee
to Evanston (just north of the city of Chicago). This is designed
for a one day 146 mile round trip.

FIB INVASION PLAN!!!

Old July 9th 08, 04:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
ZBicyclist

Tom Sherman wrote:
ZBicyclist aka Mike, Not Freddy, Kruger wrote:

There's a cue sheet here
http://evanstonbikeclub.org/ASP/cuesheetlist.asp for South
Milwaukee
to Evanston (just north of the city of Chicago). This is designed
for a one day 146 mile round trip.

FIB INVASION PLAN!!!

For those who don't know, FIB stands for "Fine Illinois Boys", a
term of comraderie used by Wisconsin natives to refer to their
brothers visiting from just south of the border.

Old July 9th 08, 04:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

ZBicyclist wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
ZBicyclist aka Mike, Not Freddy, Kruger wrote:

There's a cue sheet here
http://evanstonbikeclub.org/ASP/cuesheetlist.asp for South
Milwaukee
to Evanston (just north of the city of Chicago). This is designed
for a one day 146 mile round trip.

FIB INVASION PLAN!!!

For those who don't know, FIB stands for "Fine Illinois Boys", a
term of comraderie used by Wisconsin natives to refer to their
brothers visiting from just south of the border.

In Wisconsin, the traditional way to end the work week is the Friday
night FIB fry.

Old July 9th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2008-07-09, Tom Sherman wrote:
ZBicyclist wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
ZBicyclist aka Mike, Not Freddy, Kruger wrote:

There's a cue sheet here
http://evanstonbikeclub.org/ASP/cuesheetlist.asp for South
Milwaukee
to Evanston (just north of the city of Chicago). This is designed
for a one day 146 mile round trip.

FIB INVASION PLAN!!!

For those who don't know, FIB stands for "Fine Illinois Boys", a
term of comraderie used by Wisconsin natives to refer to their
brothers visiting from just south of the border.

In Wisconsin, the traditional way to end the work week is the Friday
night FIB fry.

Or a FIB boil, once you get far enough north.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Chicago Area Bike Routes [email protected] Rides 11 June 20th 07 03:17 AM
Chicago Area Bike Routes [email protected] Rides 1 June 14th 07 07:31 AM
Another Times article about cycling and trains wafflycat UK 2 April 24th 06 02:48 PM
Adventure Cycling US routes ken Rides 2 March 27th 06 04:03 PM
Legal Requirements for Braking systems on Trikes/Recumbent Trikes Russ UK 4 March 9th 04 09:01 AM