Do mountain bikes with road tyres exist?

Old July 23rd 08, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Do mountain bikes with road tyres exist?

Hi

I'm thinking of buying a new bike and I want a comfy mountain bike ,
not some flimsy racer with a seat that chops my nuts in half. Only
problem is that all mountain bikes seem to come with knobbly "off
road" tyres. Is it possible to buy a mountain bike or even just
replacement tyres that have a smoother road profile for easier
pedalling?

Cheers

B2003

Old July 23rd 08, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 23 Jul, 10:04, wrote:
Hi

I'm thinking of buying a new bike and I want a comfy mountain bike ,
not some flimsy racer with a seat that chops my nuts in half. Only
problem is that all mountain bikes seem to come with knobbly "off
road" tyres. Is it possible to buy a mountain bike or even just
replacement tyres that have a smoother road profile for easier
pedalling?

Cheers

B2003

You can buy 26 inch road tyres, I have a pair that work fine. They do
reduce rolling resistance and increase speed, I forget how much time
they saved me over standard tyres; I did work it out when I first got
them; possibly 20-25% I think.

Try searching Continental 26" Ultra Gatorskin (Slick)

Sniper8052
Old July 23rd 08, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

wrote:

I'm thinking of buying a new bike and I want a comfy mountain bike ,
not some flimsy racer with a seat that chops my nuts in half. Only
problem is that all mountain bikes seem to come with knobbly "off
road" tyres. Is it possible to buy a mountain bike or even just
replacement tyres that have a smoother road profile for easier
pedalling?

Mountain bikes these days are rather highly evolved creatures that tend
to have elaborate long-travel suspension that isn't very relevant to the
road (a bit like the knobbly tyres) and adds considerably to the cost.
There is another category of bikes that try to be this but lacking the
cost also lack the quality engineering, and are even more hopeless on
the roads.

There is a whole other class of bike, usually called a hybrid, which
will probably be what you're actually after. They typically have rigid
frames, slightly higher gearing and road tyres as standard, so I'd
suggest that's what you look at. There's no shortage of models to
choose from, and something of a continuous spectrum between flimsy racer
but with flat bars to built-like-a-tank with all the extras you could
think of.

You can just get slicks for a mountain bike: any bike shop should be
able to sell you a set, but a mountain bike with slicks that also has
long travel suspension will cost more, be a bit more awkward with a high
bottom bracket for extra ground clearance and eat more energy than a
hybrid. All else being equal it'll be a bit heavier too, again thanks
to the suspension.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old July 23rd 08, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Jul 23, 10:26 am, Peter Clinch wrote:
There is a whole other class of bike, usually called a hybrid, which
will probably be what you're actually after. They typically have rigid
frames, slightly higher gearing and road tyres as standard, so I'd

To be honest , given the state of the roads where I live I wouldn't
mind a bit of suspension even if it does weight a bit more. )

B2003
Old July 23rd 08, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Jul 23, 10:17 am, "
wrote:
Try searching Continental 26" Ultra Gatorskin (Slick)

They look a bit skinny. I want something with the same depth and width
as normal mountain bike tyres that can soak up the potholes and drain
covers, I just want them slick, not nobbly

B2003

Old July 23rd 08, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 23 Jul, 10:47, wrote:
On Jul 23, 10:26 am, Peter Clinch wrote:

There is a whole other class of bike, usually called a hybrid, which
will probably be what you're actually after. They typically have rigid
frames, slightly higher gearing and road tyres as standard, so I'd

To be honest , given the state of the roads where I live I wouldn't
mind a bit of suspension even if it does weight a bit more. )

B2003

Best suspension is avoidance in the first place. IME suspension is a
'pain in the backside' on the road. My small road bike weighs 19lb my
mountain bike double that. Opinion not worth the effort unless I am
cycling up a BIG hill. Also the gears are wrong for most road work,
if you have got a MB then you can get all sorts of tyres to fit. If
you haven't got a MB but are going to buy a cheap bike and then fir
tyres then the tyres and tubes could cost as much as the bike at the
very lower range of the bike market. As pete says the best purchase
is a hybrid or a touring road bike such as the revolution
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwP...c003155c002912
I have a cheap revolution road/race for messing with good quality and
great service from the guys.

Sniper8052