Unfaired Recumbent vs. Upright Speed Comparisons

Old November 5th 03, 05:03 PM
harryo

Default Unfaired Recumbent vs. Upright Speed Comparisons

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message news:W7Xpb.77287$mZ5.495911@attbi_s54...
"Ken Kobayashi" wrote in message

Regardless of what type of bike I am on I always assume cars don't see me

That never made sense to me. If you assume cars can't see you and ride
accordingly, wouldn't you have to stay at the edge of the road and
share a lane with cars? I'd rather ride in such a way that cars cannot
help but see me. That usually means taking the lane.

Ken Kobayashi

http://solarwww.mtk.nao.ac.jp/kobayashi/personal/

I usually stay near the edge

As do I, most of the time, when I am on open roads. However, I have
been on some roads, alone or with other riders, and many motorists
will not move enough to the left, when passing, and needlessly crowd
us. I then take the lane to force them to pass safely. When I ride
my Baron on busy city streets and there is not enough distance to the
curb for motorists to safely pass in the same lane, I will take the
lane. If there are cars parked along the street, or other
obstructions to limit visibility, I will also take the lane.

Harry
Old November 6th 03, 07:34 AM
B. Sanders

"DH" wrote in message
Well, I just traded in my DF and bought a hybrid, the Giant Revive. I'm
still not sitting as low as you guys, but I may get there some day. I
find this recumbent stuff fascinating and enjoy following and learning
what I can.

The Revive is getting pretty close to a recumbent, IMO. Once you get used
to your Revive, may I suggest that you have test ride on some of the
recumbents with a low-mounted crank/pedals (low BB). These include the
following models:

Rans Stratus
Easy Racers Tour Easy
EZ-1
EZ-3 (trike)
EZ-Sport

The low-mounted crank setup will feel similar to the Revive; but your legs
will be out front a bit more. Let us know if you do end up test riding some
recumbents. I'm curious to hear your reaction to them.

Wishing you many miles of smiles on your Revive.

-Barry

"John Foltz" wrote in message
om...
"DH" wrote in message

Sorry to be a bit dense here, but what exactly is meant by the word
'faired'? I first went to an online dictionary and came up with

nothing.

What!!!? Are you a DFer or something???? (just kidding...)

To be 'faired' is to employ a fairing.

Old November 6th 03, 08:38 AM
DH

The Revive is getting pretty close to a recumbent, IMO. Once you get
used
to your Revive, may I suggest that you have test ride on some of the
recumbents with a low-mounted crank/pedals (low BB). These include the
following models:

Actually, it took me no time at all to become comfortable with the Revive.
I like the idea of sitting in a relaxed position. I also like the idea of
recumbents, but do not feel that safe being so low. When I bike with my
wife and she's riding her DF, I'm only about half a foot lower. If I were
much lower she wouldn't like to bike with me.

I think a 'sitting' bike is the perfect alternative for those who do not
feel safe being so low to the ground. I have seen several bents that I
would love to own and may make the plunge (no pun intended) some day.
Dave

Old November 7th 03, 04:09 PM
B. Sanders

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message

"B. Sanders" wrote:

The Revive is getting pretty close to a recumbent, IMO. Once you get

used
to your Revive, may I suggest that you have test ride on some of the
recumbents with a low-mounted crank/pedals (low BB). These include the
following models:

Rans Stratus
Easy Racers Tour Easy
EZ-1
EZ-3 (trike)
EZ-Sport...

Are any of these readily available in Benelux?

Not sure.

It is RANS Stratus, by the way.

Doh! Got me again.

-Barry

Old November 7th 03, 04:34 PM
Mikael Seierup

"Tom Sherman" skrev

Rans Stratus
Easy Racers Tour Easy
EZ-1
EZ-3 (trike)
EZ-Sport...

Are any of these readily available in Benelux?

Nope. Nor Europe I think.

M.
Old November 7th 03, 04:40 PM
Dave Larrington

Mikael Seierup wrote:

"Tom Sherman" skrev

Rans Stratus
Easy Racers Tour Easy
EZ-1
EZ-3 (trike)
EZ-Sport...

Are any of these readily available in Benelux?

Nope. Nor Europe I think.

M.

Future Cycles here in the Land of UK say they deal in Tour Easys.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old November 7th 03, 04:54 PM
Mikael Seierup

"Dave Larrington" skrev...
Nope. Nor Europe I think.

Future Cycles here in the Land of UK say they deal in Tour Easys.

Well... Continental Europe then. ;-)

Old November 8th 03, 03:43 PM
DH

Tom, a specialized recumbent store not too far from me carries the
following makes ... this is an incomplete list, but will give an idea of
what is offered.

http://www.spidernet.nl/~de_liggende...der/lijst.html

BTW, I did not initially know what Benelux meant until I asked. If it
were spelled BeNeLux, more people wouldn't have to ask. (Over here a lot
of folks work in the 'horeca', HOtelREstaurantCAfé.)

Making Campagnolo 9/10 Speed Rear Hub/Cassette Compatible with Dura-Ace 7 Speed rosco Techniques 6 March 19th 04 04:47 AM
Biopace Orientation-need upright info to calculate recumbent offset meb Techniques 0 October 23rd 03 10:22 PM
ok, hands up jim beam Techniques 58 September 13th 03 03:00 PM
recumbent frustration Cletus Lee Recumbent Biking 48 July 14th 03 12:00 PM