true

Old May 4th 04, 03:20 PM
jrutkows

Default true

How does one attach a unicycle wheel to a truing stand. I have the
standard chrome Park model. Does someone make a bearing cup attachment
for it, or will I have to make my own?

Joel-

--
jrutkows
jrutkows's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6250

Old May 4th 04, 03:56 PM
cline

Good question! I gave up trying to use my truing stand. A
strategically placed thumnail works fine for me, but if you need
accuracy you can try this http://tinyurl.com/2u4tk

Ken

--
cline
cline's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6297

Old May 4th 04, 11:03 PM
andrew_carter

I've successfully used a truing stand to build a couple of unicycle
wheels. I think I just sat the bearings in the grooves somehow and kept
pushing them back into place every now and then.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
New photos added 11/04 - http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuu61

Old May 5th 04, 12:50 AM
bugman

I just tool my KH in for truing, and the guy that does it looked like I
had brought in an alien life form. He had no idea what to do. He ended
up eye balling it best he could and didn't charge me anything. I guess
there isn't much call for a uni truing stand, but you would think that
the shops that sell them would be able to service them.

I was thinking that the removing the cranks and setting the bearings in
a bearing cup, with a hinged cup on top that locks with a quick connect
would be perfect. It would be nice if there was someone who sold
something like this. I may end up making something myself and start
doing my own wheels.

--
bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

Old May 5th 04, 01:10 AM
andrew_carter

Yeh one thing I'll add about what I did is that I took the cranks
off...that's a must.

Andrew

Old May 5th 04, 01:16 AM
Tim

Jagur just uses an old jug and paper arrows taped on a frame
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albur29

--
Tim - Stuck on wheel walking

I got me a new summit for $191!
Tim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4671

Old May 5th 04, 01:27 AM
andrew_carter

I trued a friend's Coker the other day and found that the thumbnail
method is fine for Cokers at least because the wheel has so much
momentum so you can spend a while making sure your thumb is sitting
still before the wheel slows down. That's the problem with truing my
trials uni...the wheel doesn't roll as easily.

Andrew

Old May 5th 04, 01:31 AM
cyberbellum

I'd just take the cranks off and use an indicator afixed to the frame.
The only weird part would be to get the dishing right, but even this
seems pretty easy. Just find a flat surface, and when the wheel is true
somehow find a way to block it up with the spindle perpendicular to and
touching the surface, then measure the hight of the rim above the
surface in three spots. If they aren't even adjust the blocking until
they are. Record the average distance, flip the wheel over and repeat
the process. If all the measurements agree the wheel is properly
dished.

Or you could use a custom dishing gage.

--
cyberbellum - Level 1.0 rider!

Optimists think the glass is half full. Pesimists think the glass is
half empty. Engineers think the glass is too big.
cyberbellum's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4550