What are 'differential' brakes?

Old July 19th 04, 12:05 PM
Simon Brooke

Default What are 'differential' brakes?

Some of Campag's new brakes are described as 'differential'. Are they
just twin-pivot calipers with a lighter front than back, or is there
more to it than that?

;; making jokes about dyslexia isn't big, it isn't clever and
;; it isn't furry.

Old July 19th 04, 12:20 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Simon Brooke wrote:

Some of Campag's new brakes are described as 'differential'. Are they
just twin-pivot calipers with a lighter front than back, or is there
more to it than that?

I think they impart d^2x/dt ;-)

--
Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old July 19th 04, 12:29 PM
Clive George

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
Some of Campag's new brakes are described as 'differential'. Are they
just twin-pivot calipers with a lighter front than back, or is there
more to it than that?

Lighter back than front? I thought they supplied single pivots on the back,
on the grounds that they're lighter and don't need to work nearly so well.

cheers,
clive

Old July 19th 04, 12:32 PM
Michael MacClancy

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:29:02 +0100, Clive George wrote:

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
Some of Campag's new brakes are described as 'differential'. Are they
just twin-pivot calipers with a lighter front than back, or is there
more to it than that?

Lighter back than front? I thought they supplied single pivots on the back,
on the grounds that they're lighter and don't need to work nearly so well.

cheers,
clive

Yes, dual pivot at the front, single pivot at the back. That's the
'difference'.
--
Michael MacClancy
Random putdown - "I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's
Old July 19th 04, 06:35 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Clive George
') wrote:

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
Some of Campag's new brakes are described as 'differential'. Are they
just twin-pivot calipers with a lighter front than back, or is there
more to it than that?

Lighter back than front?

D'oh. I knew what I meant when I wrote it.

I thought they supplied single pivots on the
back, on the grounds that they're lighter and don't need to work
nearly so well.

Ah.

Wise man with foot in mouth use opportunity to clean toes.
;; the Worlock

Old July 20th 04, 12:11 AM
Pete Biggs

Clive George wrote:

Some of Campag's new brakes are described as 'differential'. Are they
just twin-pivot calipers with a lighter front than back, or is there
more to it than that?

Lighter back than front? I thought they supplied single pivots on the
back, on the grounds that they're lighter and don't need to work
nearly so well.

That's right, and also the brake pads don't have to be set so close to the
rims

~PB

Old July 21st 04, 08:58 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:51:50 +0000 (UTC),
lid (Geraint
Jones) wrote in message :

I think they impart d^2x/dt ;-)

Um, those would only be infinitessssssimal brakes, wouldn't they?
Shouldn't they be imparting some d^2x/dt^2 ?

Only one thing worse than a pedant: a pedant who's right :-)

Old July 26th 04, 02:02 AM
Gawnsoft

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:58:01 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote (more or less):

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:51:50 +0000 (UTC),
.invalid (Geraint
Jones) wrote in message :

I think they impart d^2x/dt ;-)

Um, those would only be infinitessssssimal brakes, wouldn't they?
Shouldn't they be imparting some d^2x/dt^2 ?

Only one thing worse than a pedant: a pedant who's right :-)

I have been thinking recently that there's probably enough of us to
form u.r.c.pedantry

--
Cheers,
Euan
Old July 26th 04, 10:01 AM
Whingin' Pom

wrote (more or less):

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 09:51:50 +0000 (UTC),
k.invalid (Geraint
Jones) wrote in message :

I think they impart d^2x/dt ;-)

Um, those would only be infinitessssssimal brakes, wouldn't they?
Shouldn't they be imparting some d^2x/dt^2 ?

Only one thing worse than a pedant: a pedant who's right :-)

I have been thinking recently that there's probably enough of us to
form u.r.c.pedantry

*koff*
uk.rec.cycling.pedants

uk.rec.cycling.pedantry would indicate that the group wold be about
pedantry of matters cycling, whereas uk.rec.cycling.pedants would
indicate that the group was for pedants who cycle.

HTH.

--
Matt K
Waikikamukau,NZ