Why no QRs on track/fixed gears?

Old March 11th 05, 04:27 PM
Marc

Default Why no QRs on track/fixed gears?

Why is it that all track/fixed-gear hubs have solid axles?

I can imagine that there is some logical answer for the rear - but I'm
not going to guess what it is. But why the front? Why no QR on the
front?

Follow-up question -

Has anyone done a conversion to a hollow hub on a track/fixed wheelset
to retrofit it for QR use?

Old March 11th 05, 04:49 PM
Vee

Why is it that all track/fixed-gear hubs have solid axles?

I think it's because track racers are paranoid about catching QR levers
and losing their wheels when racing. The topic comes up here time and
again, but I've never seen (what I think is) a compelling rationale for
not using QR-equipped wheels.

I converted my rear track hub (a Surly) to QR. No problems whatsoever.
As with any hub, all you need is an axle of appropriate diameter and
thread pitch.

-Vee

Old March 11th 05, 04:55 PM
Marc

Vee wrote:
Why is it that all track/fixed-gear hubs have solid axles?

I think it's because track racers are paranoid about catching QR

levers
and losing their wheels when racing. The topic comes up here time

and
again, but I've never seen (what I think is) a compelling rationale

for
not using QR-equipped wheels.

I converted my rear track hub (a Surly) to QR. No problems

whatsoever.
As with any hub, all you need is an axle of appropriate diameter and
thread pitch.

-Vee

Is it much of a challenge to change the axle? Where did you get the
new one? I think I'm going to do the same thing ... unless you think
that this is not an operation for someone who has never disassembled a
hub before.

Old March 11th 05, 05:34 PM
Sheldon Brown

Someone asked:

Why is it that all track/fixed-gear hubs have solid axles?

Someone answered.

I think it's because track racers are paranoid about catching QR levers
and losing their wheels when racing. The topic comes up here time and
again, but I've never seen (what I think is) a compelling rationale for
not using QR-equipped wheels.

Actually, I think this is an older rule, predating the invention of the
quick release! Back in the day, the alternatives were hex nuts or wing
nuts.

The wing nuts were perceived as a hazard on the track, mainly on acount
of the risk of impalement in a crash.

The governing bodies dealt with the wing nut problem by mandating plain
nuts, and that obsolete regulation has never changed.

Trackies are the most conservative of cyclists, especially sprinters,
when it comes to equipment.

I converted my rear track hub (a Surly) to QR. No problems whatsoever.
As with any hub, all you need is an axle of appropriate diameter and
thread pitch.

And a _good_ skewer. See: http://sheldonbrown.com/skewers

Sheldon "Atavism" Brown
| The art of being wise is the art of |
| knowing what to overlook. |
| --William James |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old March 11th 05, 05:56 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Vee wrote:
Why is it that all track/fixed-gear hubs have solid axles?

I think it's because track racers are paranoid about catching QR levers
and losing their wheels when racing. The topic comes up here time and
again, but I've never seen (what I think is) a compelling rationale for
not using QR-equipped wheels.

So they don't puncture someone in an accident. Incidentally, there is
no *technical* reason not to use a QR on the back of a fixed. The
pulling force on the wheel is just the same as on a geared bike.
Old March 11th 05, 06:12 PM

Sheldon Brown writes:

Why is it that all track/fixed-gear hubs have solid axles?

I think it's because track racers are paranoid about catching QR
levers and losing their wheels when racing. The topic comes up
here time and again, but I've never seen (what I think is) a
compelling rationale for not using QR-equipped wheels.

Actually, I think this is an older rule, predating the invention of
the quick release! Back in the day, the alternatives were hex nuts
or wing nuts.

The wing nuts were perceived as a hazard on the track, mainly on
account of the risk of impalement in a crash.

The governing bodies dealt with the wing nut problem by mandating
plain nuts, and that obsolete regulation has never changed.

Trackies are the most conservative of cyclists, especially
sprinters, when it comes to equipment.

I converted my rear track hub (a Surly) to QR. No problems
whatsoever. As with any hub, all you need is an axle of
appropriate diameter and thread pitch.

And a _good_ skewer. See: http://sheldonbrown.com/skewers

I recall when some track riders insisted that with their unbelievable
strength, a trackie would tear a road chain asunder and therefore used
only 1/8" wide chains. But wait! It had to be an inch pitch block
chain, the chains that John Starley used before Renold introduced the
roller chain.

For those unfamiliar with the block chain, it has 5/8" long side
plates linked to a shorter 3/8" solid block of steel with rounded ends
about the diameter of today's roller. When the roller chain came
along, companies like Schwinn, who had many bicycles with inch pitch
block chain in the field and in stock, switched to an inch pitch
roller chain that used a short link with two closely spaced rollers
instead of the block.

http://www.bikeville.com/freewheels.html

Jobst Brandt

Old March 11th 05, 06:14 PM
Donald Gillies

"Marc" writes:

Why is it that all track/fixed-gear hubs have solid axles?

there is an absolutely great reason for this.

For track bikes :
================================
QR's are for fixing tires.

You fix tires when you get flats.

There are few road hazards in velodromes.

Hence there are very few QRs on velodrome bicycles.

For fixed gears :
================================
Fixed-gears are ridden by "pretend" track racers

"pretend" track racers fix tires when they get "pretend" flats

They "pretend" there are no road hazards in their "pretend" velodromes(outdoors)

When a fixed gear bicyclist gets a flat he takes it to the local shop
and "pretends" he fixed it himself.

End of story.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old March 11th 05, 06:35 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Donald Gillies wrote:

For fixed gears :
================================
Fixed-gears are ridden by "pretend" track racers

"pretend" track racers fix tires when they get "pretend" flats

They "pretend" there are no road hazards in their "pretend" velodromes(outdoors)

When a fixed gear bicyclist gets a flat he takes it to the local shop
and "pretends" he fixed it himself.

Oh, pur-lease. Last time it happened to me I patched the tube without
removing the wheel. I also had to boot the tyre with a piece of
cigarette packet found on the road (I carry a Park tyre boot now - the
cardboard only lasted a few miles, although it did get me within walking
distance of home).

Tandemists will also often patch rear tubes in situ because it's too
much hassle to disconnect Arai drum brakes.
Old March 11th 05, 07:09 PM
Marc

Donald Gillies wrote:
"Marc" writes:

Why is it that all track/fixed-gear hubs have solid axles?

there is an absolutely great reason for this.

For track bikes :
================================
QR's are for fixing tires.

You fix tires when you get flats.

There are few road hazards in velodromes.

Hence there are very few QRs on velodrome bicycles.

For fixed gears :
================================
Fixed-gears are ridden by "pretend" track racers

"pretend" track racers fix tires when they get "pretend" flats

They "pretend" there are no road hazards in their "pretend"

velodromes(outdoors)

When a fixed gear bicyclist gets a flat he takes it to the local shop
and "pretends" he fixed it himself.

Why can't he carry a small wrench?

Old March 11th 05, 07:16 PM
S o r n i

Marc wrote:
Donald Gillies wrote:

When a fixed gear bicyclist gets a flat he takes it to the local shop
and "pretends" he fixed it himself.

Why can't he carry a small wrench?

You mean like Dr. Evil carries Mini Me?

(Google Images failed me, but it was a baby sling type affair.)

Bill "slow morning" S.

Still Looking for a bike [email protected] UK 19 September 5th 04 10:25 AM
Advantages of Higher and Lower Gears? Elisa Francesca Roselli General 21 April 3rd 04 06:13 AM
Gears slipping Mark Panitz Techniques 2 January 19th 04 07:04 AM
newbie bike question - how to tell if bike chain is worn too much Stephen Australia 7 November 28th 03 01:14 AM
Usable gears on 53,39 x 25,12 9 speed? Mike S. Techniques 4 September 27th 03 02:05 PM