Stevenage Summertime specials 3rd Apr

Old March 16th 05, 10:08 PM
MartinM

Default Stevenage Summertime specials 3rd Apr

Anyone up for any of these?, varying distances from 62, 115 or 210 km.
(those with some feeble excuse about a gentle potter around the Low
Countries are excused )
I'm doing the 210, my legs need a stern talking to for the Elenith the week
after ;-(

Old March 17th 05, 08:40 AM
Jeremy Collins

MartinM wrote:
Anyone up for any of these?, varying distances from 62, 115 or 210 km.

Have you got more information? Presumably this is a CTC event - does
one need to be a member?

--
jc

Remove the -not from email
Old March 17th 05, 08:49 AM
Richard Goodman

"Jeremy Collins" wrote in message
Have you got more information? Presumably this is a CTC event - does
one need to be a member?

No, it's an Audax UK event and you don't need to be a member of AUK:

www.audax.uk.net/cal/index.htm

Rich

Old March 17th 05, 09:24 AM
Dave Larrington

MartinM wrote:
Anyone up for any of these?, varying distances from 62, 115 or 210 km.
(those with some feeble excuse about a gentle potter around the Low
Countries are excused )
I'm doing the 210, my legs need a stern talking to for the Elenith
the week after ;-(

Yep, I'm doing the 210. At least I /think/ I am - haven't had a route sheet
yet, thobut.

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

Old March 17th 05, 10:13 AM
MartinM

Jeremy Collins wrote:
MartinM wrote:
Anyone up for any of these?, varying distances from 62, 115 or 210

km.

Have you got more information? Presumably this is a CTC event - does
one need to be a member?

wot Richard said, you just pay an extra =A31 insurance (he is also
adding a =A33 surcharge to everyone who enters on the day) so in advance
it will be =A36 if not in CTC/AUK/BC. I would get the entry in pronto.

CTC events are also open to all AFAIK with an extra insurance levy/fee
as required.

If you join AUK it pays for itself if you do 10 rides, plus you get the
handbook, calendar, Arrivee magazine and you can be an organiser as
well.

Old March 17th 05, 10:19 AM
MartinM

If you join AUK it pays for itself if you do 10 rides, plus you get the

handbook, calendar, Arrivee magazine and you can be an organiser as
well.

and a little sticker for your mudguard. These can be a drawback though
as some riders are more likely to think you know where you're going if
you have one and follow you off route ;-)

Old March 17th 05, 10:24 AM
Jeremy Collins

Richard Goodman wrote:
"Jeremy Collins" wrote in message

Have you got more information? Presumably this is a CTC event - does
one need to be a member?

No, it's an Audax UK event and you don't need to be a member of AUK:

www.audax.uk.net/cal/index.htm

Thanks for that. I've never done an Audax, but I've been wanting to
enter more cycling events for a while now, and Stevenage is just down
the road from me.

I'm fit enough to average 20kph+ over 115km, but will I feel like a
prat if I turn up without expensive gear (e.g. on a flatbar hybrid)?

Are helmets required? I've just read through the handbook on the
website and it talks about lights but not lids.

--
jc

Remove the -not from email
Old March 17th 05, 10:33 AM
MartinM

I'm fit enough to average 20kph+ over 115km, but will I feel like a
prat if I turn up without expensive gear (e.g. on a flatbar hybrid)?

Not at all, a lot of riders turn up on MTB's and pre-war relics and
clothing to match, whatever you feel comfy riding. 20kph will see you
finish with most of the field easily

Are helmets required? I've just read through the handbook on the
website and it talks about lights but not lids.

again; not at all, it is on a public highway and you are on a private
excursion, IMX the same proprtion wear/don't wear lids. Hilly events
bring out a few more helmets but it's usually half and half.

Old March 17th 05, 10:37 AM
iakobski

I'm thinking of doing the 115k - I've not done anything like this
before, but quite fancy doing a few this year. My new bike may not be
ready by then so may have to use my old hybrid - will everyone else be
on =A32000 road bikes with just me and Jeremy Collins pootling along at
the back? If I turn up and pay on the day, are the directions good
enough, or is it reccommended to book in advance and get some map
sheets printed out?

Old March 17th 05, 10:40 AM
Jeremy Collins

MartinM wrote:
I'm fit enough to average 20kph+ over 115km, but will I feel like a
prat if I turn up without expensive gear (e.g. on a flatbar hybrid)?

Not at all, a lot of riders turn up on MTB's and pre-war relics and
clothing to match, whatever you feel comfy riding. 20kph will see you
finish with most of the field easily

Cheers Martin; just what I wanted to hear. I think I'll have a go
at the 115. If nothing else it's a good incentive to get the first
60-miler of the year under my belt this weekend.

--
jc

Remove the -not from email