So, what happened to Mikey V.

Old February 24th 11, 02:02 AM posted to rec.backcountry,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc
Brad Anders

Default So, what happened to Mikey "Handsaw" V?

On Feb 22, 5:42*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

Go ahead and choke to death. Just one less mountain biker in the world.

Here long before you and here long after you're gone, which given your
penchant for picking the losing side of any issue, shouldn't be too
far away. Kisses.
Old February 24th 11, 03:01 AM posted to rec.backcountry,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc
Bob Berger[_2_]

In article , Moderate says...

"SMS" wrote in message
.. .

Vandeman's goal of protecting wilderness has merit. But he's so
_incredibly_ confused about the relative impacts of different activities
on wilderness. Every study on the subject has shown that the impact of
mountain bikers is not any more than the impact of hikers, and less than
that of equestrians, and actually the mountain bike impact is often less
than that of hikers. Vandeman should be redirecting his time and energy
into campaigning against snowmobiles and other motorized off-road
vehicles.

The reality is that hikers often make trails unpleasant for use by
mountain bikers and vice-versa. They have to learn to share somehow.
Scheduling some days for each group of users would be fair. It's not a
question of who was there first.

I agree that Vandeman's actions may hurt the cause more than help.

Where did your find studies of mountain bike impact on the environment? My
observation is that bicycles cause more erosion than foot traffic and the
number of cyclists doing trail maintenance is far less than the number of
hikers doing trail maintenance.

That may be a misleading statistic.

Now, I have no idea if this is true or not; but suppose cyclists did only 30% of
the maintenance while hikers did 70%, and that cyclists constituted 15% of the
trail's users, while hikers constituted 85%.

If so, that would mean the average cyclist did 2% of the maintenance, while the
average hiker did about 1.2% of the maintenace. In other words, the average
cyclist would be doing almost twice as much maintenance as the average hiker.

Or, playing the game from the other side, maybe cyclists as a group do less
trail damage than hikers because there are less of them.

Ya gotta be careful to present the complete statistical picture. :-)

Old February 24th 11, 04:32 PM posted to rec.backcountry,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc
Bruce Jensen

Default Bob Berger once again ****s on the group!

On Feb 20, 9:53*am, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Bob Berger" wrote in message

[...]

Oh I doubt that. If the legal system doesn't stop him now, my guess is
he'll
move on to something "bigger and better".

I wonder how many 30 round clips he can stuff in his pockets.

Always a horror to hear from the peanut gallery. **** all mountain bikers
all the way to Hell and back ... and mostly especially **** Bob Berger, a
scoundrel who is evil through and through.

****ing Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Ed, when are you gonna come up with some insults that actually sting?
These are geting pretty stale.

BTW, Ed, you ARE a 'tard :-)
Old February 24th 11, 04:33 PM posted to rec.backcountry,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc
Bruce Jensen

On Feb 20, 4:42*pm, Bob Berger wrote:
In article , Me says...

In article ,
"Edward Dolan" wrote:

"Bob Berger" wrote in message
[...]
Oh I doubt that. If the legal system doesn't stop him now, my guess is
he'll
move on to something "bigger and better".

I wonder how many 30 round clips he can stuff in his pockets.

Always a horror to hear from the peanut gallery. **** all mountain bikers
all the way to Hell and back ... and mostly especially **** Bob Berger, a
scoundrel who is evil through and through.

****ing Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Oh, No you have done it Bob.... You have incurred the rathe of Edward
the Great... a NoAccount of no Note, who frequents the Newsgroups here
a-bouts, with his whity comments, and seems to have a rather loose
Sexual Preference.... *Just watch yourself... He just might be in league
with those Buffalo Campaign idiots..... and we ALL Know how dangerous
they were...

Hmmm... Good point. I hadn't thought of the BFC analogy, though I've had quite a
bit of experience with those loons. (Hell, I'm even on their list of potential
contributors).

Me * * *One who can recognize Lunacy in all its forms....- Hide quoted text -

I am on their list of ACTUAL contributors :-)
Old February 24th 11, 04:35 PM posted to rec.backcountry,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc
Bruce Jensen

On Feb 21, 8:29*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Peter Clinch" wrote in message

On 18/02/11 17:10, SMS wrote:

He's certainly learned his lesson and will not repeat the (alleged)
behavior that got him into all this trouble. Let's be happy for that.

I'd be happy if that were the case, but.. for some values of
"certainly"... *Where has he ever showed any ability to learn about
realities of cycling and cyclists before now?

Mr. Vandeman and I are convinced that mountain bikes have no place on hiking
trails. Nothing is ever going to persuade us any differently. Is that clear
enough!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

It's clear that you and Mikey are narrow-minded authoritarian 'tards!
Old February 25th 11, 12:56 AM posted to rec.backcountry,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

Default Bison Bison Bison

On 2/24/2011 10:33 AM, Bruce Jensen wrote:
On Feb 20, 4:42 pm, Bob wrote:
In , Me says...

Oh, No you have done it Bob.... You have incurred the rathe of Edward
the Great... a NoAccount of no Note, who frequents the Newsgroups here
a-bouts, with his whity comments, and seems to have a rather loose
Sexual Preference.... Just watch yourself... He just might be in league
with those Buffalo Campaign idiots..... and we ALL Know how dangerous
they were...

Hmmm... Good point. I hadn't thought of the BFC analogy, though I've had quite a
bit of experience with those loons. (Hell, I'm even on their list of potential
contributors).

Me One who can recognize Lunacy in all its forms....- Hide quoted text -

I am on their list of ACTUAL contributors :-)

The BFC people might do better if they realized the animal in question
is a bison, and not a buffalo.

--
Tēm ShermĒn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old February 25th 11, 09:24 AM posted to rec.backcountry,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc
Peter Clinch

On 22/02/11 14:58, Moderate wrote:

Where did your find studies of mountain bike impact on the environment? My
observation is that bicycles cause more erosion than foot traffic and the
number of cyclists doing trail maintenance is far less than the number of
hikers doing trail maintenance.

I've not seen formal studies, but in Scotland I've seen plenty of
walking-only trails that have degenerated to meandering quagmires that
blot the landscape and have necessitated remedial action (e.g., the
Schiehallion path and Glen Brittle to Coire Laggan).

I've not been on any trail that has obviously been ruined by wheels.

I see evidence of volunteer trail maintenance from across the board.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old February 25th 11, 01:53 PM posted to rec.backcountry,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc
(PeteCresswell)

Per Moderate:
My
observation is that bicycles cause more erosion than foot traffic and the
number of cyclists doing trail maintenance is far less than the number of
hikers doing trail maintenance.

That's got to be a regional thing. Soil type, cycling/hiking
populations....
--
PeteCresswell
Old February 25th 11, 11:25 PM posted to rec.backcountry,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc
y_p_w

On Feb 25, 5:53*am, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Moderate:

My
observation is that bicycles cause more erosion than foot traffic and the
number of cyclists doing trail maintenance is far less than the number of
hikers doing trail maintenance.

That's got to be a regional thing. * Soil type, cycling/hiking
populations....

Quite a few people do both. I think it might be difficult to figure
out exactly what the proportions are. I haven't gone mountain biking
in years, but the sense I get are that quite a few mountain biking
organizations are active in trail maintenance activities. They might
not be doing so with mountain bikes in tow, so how does one know?

The mountain bike trails I know of in my area are mostly hard-packed
fire and maintenance roads. Their maintenance was mostly by the local
land agency. I remember hiking on one trail that was difficult enough
on foot, but would have been crazy on a bike. It was signed for multi-
use including bikes. The whole trail had been turned into a moonscape
by dairy cattle grazing in the area and stepping on the trail after
rains.
Old March 2nd 11, 09:01 PM posted to rec.backcountry,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc
Bruce Jensen

On Feb 24, 4:56*pm, Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 2/24/2011 10:33 AM, Bruce Jensen wrote:

On Feb 20, 4:42 pm, Bob *wrote:
In , Me says...

Oh, No you have done it Bob.... You have incurred the rathe of Edward
the Great... a NoAccount of no Note, who frequents the Newsgroups here
a-bouts, with his whity comments, and seems to have a rather loose
Sexual Preference.... *Just watch yourself... He just might be in league
with those Buffalo Campaign idiots..... and we ALL Know how dangerous
they were...

Hmmm... Good point. I hadn't thought of the BFC analogy, though I've had quite a
bit of experience with those loons. (Hell, I'm even on their list of potential
contributors).

Me * * *One who can recognize Lunacy in all its forms....- Hide quoted text -

I am on their list of ACTUAL contributors :-)

The BFC people might do better if they realized the animal in question
is a bison, and not a buffalo.

They're trying to communicate to the majority of people (like Ed) who
still think it's a beefalo or a bufflecow or some such silliness.

There you go Mikey... Westie Mountain Biking 0 February 25th 10 10:39 PM
hi mikey crap di Mountain Biking 2 August 2nd 06 11:12 PM
Mikey Bot Brian Sanderson Social Issues 1 November 30th 05 11:18 PM
Mikey is a Dude! SuperG Mountain Biking 0 May 27th 05 05:06 PM
Mikey is Speaking doublenatural Mountain Biking 10 May 10th 05 07:29 AM