cleaning fun...(not)

Old October 6th 03, 07:12 AM
Deep Freud Moors

Default cleaning fun...(not)

Utter bull****. Dirt will kill bearings MUCH faster than an absence of
grease. Clean dry bearings will run for a long time, dirty bearings

(even
when greased) will not.

Don't change the subject. Grease's secondary property as water and dirt
barrier is what's been pointed out, NOT whether dirt is destructive to
bearings.

You are the one that is trying to change the subject!!! It was originally
about wheel bearings, if you can recall correctly. You avoided that last
comparison because it illustrates my point rather concisely, doesn't it!
---
DFM

Old October 6th 03, 08:26 AM
andrey

Shimano 105 is not very cheap chain.
And I have much doubts that you can disassemble it easily without danger of
total chain destroy.
Construction of 73/93/DuraAce chain does not permit it to be re-assembled
without new special lock chain link. Even if you oil link which is subject
to be broken.

It's a problem with cheap and nasty chains. After a while though, you do

get
good at breaking chains though. Oiling the link before breaking it can do
wonders (would you believe???). And naturally breaking it at a different
point each time makes sense.

Old October 7th 03, 02:37 AM
Theo Bekkers

"Deep Freud Moors" wrote
Theo Bekkers wrote
"Deep Freud Moors" wrote

viscosity. The driest part of the bearing assembly is usually

the
surface
where the bearings run. Whilst that surface is clean, there are

no
probs.
Basic wheels nowadays are not sealed either, but have

donut-shaped
little
caps, which are designed to work in conjunction with the grease

to keep
dirt
and water out.

What the? Why the hell do they grease wheel bearings in cars then?

Exactly the same reason of course.

Are you saying that if we had a way of sealing dirt out, we could run
bearings without grease?

From my dictionary
grease n.
1. animal fat in a soft or melted condition.
2. any thick fatty oil, esp. one used as a lubricant for machinery,
etc.

Theo

Old October 7th 03, 03:59 AM
Deep Freud Moors

Theo Bekkers wrote in message
[...]

Crikey, do I have to go back to my original statement yet again???

"The primary purpose of the grease is not lubrication, but to keep dirt and
water out."

Note that it says "primary", not "sole".

Grease does provide somewhat of a lubricating effect, but its role of
inhibiting dirt from getting into the bearings is much more important from a
reliability point of view. Dirt will kill bearings far quicker than an
absence of lubricant.
---
DFM

Old October 7th 03, 04:20 AM
Theo Bekkers

"Deep Freud Moors" wrote

Crikey, do I have to go back to my original statement yet again???

"The primary purpose of the grease is not lubrication, but to keep

dirt and
water out."

Note that it says "primary", not "sole".

The primary purpose of grease is lubrication. Grease is just very
thick oil. It is used in situations where a thin oil will escape.

Theo