muck on chainring/sprocket on 1SP/internal gear hub bikes

Old February 18th 18, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default muck on chainring/sprocket on 1SP/internal gear hub bikes

Almost always there is a pattern of dirt, like
the "negative" of the chain, on the
chainring/sprocket. This is often very loose,
a wood stick and then rotation will remove most
of it in but a few rotations.

Question is how much this really
influence anything?

Once removed, there is a slightly better feel
to pedaling - but I don't know, maybe it is
all psychological?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old February 18th 18, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei[_2_]

On 18-02-18 01:26, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Almost always there is a pattern of dirt, like
the "negative" of the chain, on the
chainring/sprocket. This is often very loose,
a wood stick and then rotation will remove most
of it in but a few rotations.

Question is how much this really
influence anything?

Once removed, there is a slightly better feel
to pedaling - but I don't know, maybe it is
all psychological?

I seem to remember Jobst Brandt many years ago writing that there was no
need to clean the cogs and chainrings, because the chain would always
clear out the area it needed to contact. However, I couldn't find this
text just now with a Google search.

In any event, I don't bother cleaning the sprockets or chainrings.

Jobst also wrote that it's necessary to remove the chain and shake it in
a bath of solvent before lubricating. I used to do this (when I retired
a parting gift from colleagues was several liters of hexane), but no
longer bother. My impression is that chain life is still fine, and I no
longer feel pangs of conscience because of air pollution caused by the
rapidly evaporating hexane (it's extremely volatile).

And just a warning to anyone who uses hexane as a solvent: There is a
disease called hexane neuropathy. It used to occur in truck mechanics,
who often got it on their hands and wrists while using hexane spray to
degrease truck brakes. The hexane would interact with a neuronal protein
called neurofilament, damaging the axons in the nerves leading to and
from the hands and producing lack of sensation and motor problems.

Ned
Old February 18th 18, 11:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Ned Mantei wrote:

I seem to remember Jobst Brandt many years
ago writing that there was no need to clean
the cogs and chainrings, because the chain
would always clear out the area it needed
to contact.

This was my intuition as well.
Anyway interesting post - yeah, better stay
clear of hexane