bike season over...

Old December 15th 05, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default bike season over...

....anywhere from 25 - 35 cm of snow expected tomorrow.

That is 10 - 14 inches of snow for those of you who are metrically
challenged. :-D

Old December 15th 05, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Joe Canuck wrote:

...anywhere from 25 - 35 cm of snow expected tomorrow.

That is 10 - 14 inches of snow for those of you who are metrically
challenged. :-D

Thats a bit tough to bike through.
Metrically challenged? Well thats most Americans.

Ken
--
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the
human race. ~H.G. Wells

Old December 15th 05, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Ken M wrote:
.
Metrically challenged? Well thats most Americans.

And not getting much better. The main highway between Tucson and
Nogales, Mexico is I-19 and for many years all of the mileage signs
were in km. That is now being changed back to miles. Of course it they
posted the speed limit in km we'd have every pick up in southern AZ
tipping over as they take a curve at 120 mph.

Old December 16th 05, 12:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"gds" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ken M wrote:
.
Metrically challenged? Well thats most Americans.

And not getting much better. The main highway between Tucson and
Nogales, Mexico is I-19 and for many years all of the mileage signs
were in km. That is now being changed back to miles. Of course it they
posted the speed limit in km we'd have every pick up in southern AZ
tipping over as they take a curve at 120 mph.

It's not such a matter of being metrically challenged as it is just being
not used to things like kph in terms of a real feel. IMO, that is.

Old December 16th 05, 02:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

It's not such a matter of being metrically challenged as it is just being
not used to things like kph in terms of a real feel. IMO, that is.

My first trip to France, I made the mistake of recalibrating my bike
computer to metric. BIG mistake. I had no idea how fast I was really going,
and in the L'Etape du Tour, burned myself out hainging with guys climbing
moderate grades at speeds a bit higher than I should have. But what does
33km/hour mean to me? Wall-to-wall cyclists (closed roads), you just kinda
get sucked along. Plus you don't have a good feel for how far you've gone,
and the intuitive feel you get reading KMs is that you've gone further than
you actually have.

So now I ride with two computers, one set to KMs and the other to Miles. Not
that big a deal when they're both wireless and feed off the same
transmitter.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA
"Roger Zoul" wrote in message

"gds" wrote in message
oups.com...

.

Old December 16th 05, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Bike season over?
Not a chance!
Check this out: http://www.crw.org/gallery/snowride2003.htm
- Gary

Old December 16th 05, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
It's not such a matter of being metrically challenged as it is just being
not used to things like kph in terms of a real feel. IMO, that is.

My first trip to France, I made the mistake of recalibrating my bike
computer to metric. BIG mistake. I had no idea how fast I was really going,
and in the L'Etape du Tour, burned myself out hainging with guys climbing
moderate grades at speeds a bit higher than I should have. But what does
33km/hour mean to me?

When I was on my Canada tour this summer, I put my computer to metric.
It worked out pretty well, as I could track the distance better with
the signage both in the cue sheet and on the road. That trip was more
about distance for me, though, not speed.

My husband kept his on miles, so I had a cross check. It kept both of
us busy, doing the multiplication back and forth.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Old December 16th 05, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Joe Canuck wrote:
...anywhere from 25 - 35 cm of snow expected tomorrow.

That is 10 - 14 inches of snow for those of you who are metrically
challenged. :-D

Not for *this* guy! http://tinyurl.com/3dm68

Four of us, all cow orkers, took turns at pulling the plow on our
cyclecommute last friday. It works ike a pace line, only a bit slower
and each guy "sprints" for about 2~300 meters.... We just under two
miles of trail http://tinyurl.com/7zm7n in about 45 minutes.

We laff at sneaux.

..max

Old December 16th 05, 03:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"what does THIS button do?" wrote in message
oups.com...

Four of us, all cow orkers,

Is this intentional? I like it.

Old December 16th 05, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

lowkey wrote:
"what does THIS button do?" wrote in message
oups.com...

Four of us, all cow orkers,

Is this intentional? I like it.

It's a talk.bizarre affectation i picked up in the early 90's.

We laff at sneaux.

..max
along with the dot.

Evaulating a bike Paul Cassel Techniques 96 August 22nd 05 11:45 PM
My New Bike brucianna General 6 June 8th 05 08:45 AM
May 6 NYC NBG Day to Honor Fallen Bike Activist Cycle America General 0 April 11th 05 04:15 PM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 09:44 PM
Who is going to Interbike? Bruce Gilbert Techniques 2 October 10th 03 09:26 PM