Buying mail order from Italy

Old December 5th 03, 09:07 PM
Me

Default Buying mail order from Italy

Another question about buying bike stuff from abroad.

I asked the question about buying mail order in the US and what type of
duties and VAT I'd have to pay to get them sent to me, I've worked out that
if I actually get charged the 17.5% + the 3.5% customs fee than I'm no
better off. Damn. Suppose I could always risk ordering...

Anyway, after looking at the customs and excise website
http://www.hmce.gov.uk/forms/notices/143.htm#P172_10319 which was so kindly
supplied by a poster, I notice that importing from inside the EU doesn't
attract these charges.

Is that correct?

If I mail order something from italy will I not have to pay any extra fees
other than postage and packaging?

I'd assume that Campag is cheaper in the country its made than here, so can
anyone offer any links to some Italian (or other EC) sites or business that
I might be able to buy record and chorus stuff from?

cheers in advance!

Old December 5th 03, 09:34 PM
Pete Biggs

Me wrote:
If I mail order something from italy will I not have to pay any extra
fees other than postage and packaging?

That's correct AFAIK, and I haven't been charged any extra fees for the my
small EU orders.

I'd assume that Campag is cheaper in the country its made than here,
so can anyone offer any links to some Italian (or other EC) sites or
business that I might be able to buy record and chorus stuff from?

You'd think so but Italian prices aren't that cheap. I doubt you'll find
any that can beat UK prices for Campag when shipping is taken into
account. I'd love to be proved wrong on this one!

Other ways to economise include getting some older components (that are
actually as good as the current ones); mixed components instead of
complete groupset; eBay deals (unused stuff).

~PB

Old December 5th 03, 10:18 PM
Mark Burch

"Me" wrote in message ...
Another question about buying bike stuff from abroad.

I asked the question about buying mail order in the US and what type of
duties and VAT I'd have to pay to get them sent to me, I've worked out

that
if I actually get charged the 17.5% + the 3.5% customs fee than I'm no
better off. Damn. Suppose I could always risk ordering...

VAT is not 17.5% in all European countries. I bought something from Ireland
and I think I was charged 21% VAT. I don't know what the rate is in Italy.

Mark Burch

Old December 6th 03, 12:39 AM
Peter Connolly

"Mark Burch" wrote in message
VAT is not 17.5% in all European countries. I bought something from

Ireland
and I think I was charged 21% VAT. I don't know what the rate is in Italy.

Mark Burch

VAT in Italy is 20%

--

Pete.
Derby

Old December 6th 03, 09:56 AM
Zog The Undeniable

Me wrote:

[...]

True provided you don't get gouged on the postage and packing. Bianchi
do some interesting stuff in team celeste colour (Flite saddle anyone?)
but although they are cheaper than Settle Cycles, the postage is
outrageous. I sent 6 tyres to Germany last week and it was only about 9
quid; Bianchi's charges are about 3 or 4 times that for a smaller and
lighter package.

Old December 6th 03, 10:38 AM
Ian

Zog The Undeniable scribed with passion and wit:

Me wrote:

[...]

Technically you can still be charged for VAT, but there is no duty as the
goods are moving between EU countries, in most cases the VAT is not
requested because the cost incurred by customs trying to collect it can be
far greater than the amount involved.
--
Ian

http://www.catrike.co.uk

Old December 6th 03, 12:01 PM
chris French

In message , Ian
writes
Me wrote:

Another question about buying bike stuff from abroad.

I asked the question about buying mail order in the US and what type of
duties and VAT I'd have to pay to get them sent to me, I've worked out that
if I actually get charged the 17.5% + the 3.5% customs fee than I'm no
better off. Damn. Suppose I could always risk ordering...

Anyway, after looking at the customs and excise website
http://www.hmce.gov.uk/forms/notices/143.htm#P172_10319 which was so kindly
supplied by a poster, I notice that importing from inside the EU doesn't
attract these charges.

Technically you can still be charged for VAT, but there is no duty as the
goods are moving between EU countries, in most cases the VAT is not
requested because the cost incurred by customs trying to collect it can be
far greater than the amount involved.

But surely if I buy something from say Germany online I am charged
German VAT at the point of purchase.

Where does C&E get involved?
--
Chris French, Leeds
Old December 6th 03, 12:05 PM
Simon Brooke

"Me" writes:

Another question about buying bike stuff from abroad.

I asked the question about buying mail order in the US and what type of
duties and VAT I'd have to pay to get them sent to me, I've worked out that
if I actually get charged the 17.5% + the 3.5% customs fee than I'm no
better off. Damn. Suppose I could always risk ordering...

Anyway, after looking at the customs and excise website
http://www.hmce.gov.uk/forms/notices/143.htm#P172_10319 which was so kindly
supplied by a poster, I notice that importing from inside the EU doesn't
attract these charges.

Is that correct?

Yes. That's what the European Union started as - a free trade area.

If I mail order something from italy will I not have to pay any extra fees
other than postage and packaging?

You'll have to pay Italian VAT. Whether that's more or less than UK
VAT I don't know.

;; 'I think we should trust our president in every decision
;; that he makes and we should just support that'
;; Britney Spears of George W Bush, CNN 04:09:03
Old December 6th 03, 12:22 PM
Tony Raven

chris French wrote:
Technically you can still be charged for VAT, but there is no duty as the
goods are moving between EU countries, in most cases the VAT is not
requested because the cost incurred by customs trying to collect it can be
far greater than the amount involved.

But surely if I buy something from say Germany online I am charged
German VAT at the point of purchase.

Where does C&E get involved?

It doesn't. You are correct in that wherever you buy it for personal use in
Europe you pay the local VAT at the point of purchase and are then free to
move the good around within Europe as you wish.

Tony

Old December 6th 03, 09:31 PM
Ric

Mail order everything from Germany. They are best organised for mail order
and have one of the lower VAT rates in Europe, and the cheapest freight
rates. Also, you are unlikely to get ripped off by Germans. I'd avoid buying
from Italy - it is one of the most expensive coutnries in Europe, and having
lived in both Germany and Italy for quite a few years I'd rather pay up
front to a German mail order company any day.