Light Question

Old November 1st 04, 02:40 AM
Beverly

Default Light Question

I see there has been another thread on building your own light system but I
need to buy one and want some suggestions based on how I'll use them.

Most of my riding is done on bike trails during day light hours. I never
considered buying lights until I misjudged how long it would take to return
to the car last weekend and had to ride the last few miles in the dark. I
was a little nervous as this trail is along a riverg I would like to have
a system that can easily be removed from the bike and possibly stored in a
bag until needed. There are so many different types and I'm not sure what
the pros and cons are for them. Any suggestions on buying a good lighting
system that won't be used too often? I'll be going to the LBS later this
week and would like to have some idea on what to purchase. I would like to
stay below $100 for the system. Am I going to be able to purchase a good
system in this price range?

TIA
Beverly

Old November 1st 04, 03:27 AM
Matt O'Toole

Beverly wrote:

[...]

Yes.

Of course the simplest is a small, AA-powered handlebar light like a Cateye
Micro, or the new Cateye EL500. These sell for $15-40. However, for dark roads
and trails I don't think they give enough light.

The next step up would probably be a 10W system with a separate battery pack.
You can definately get these for under $100. The cheaper ones have lead-acid
batteries which are heavier, but better for occasional use, especially if they
come with a "smart" charger. More expensive systems come with nicad or NiMH
batteries, which are much lighter and more compact, but don't take as well to
occasional use. Most systems have a quick release mount for the lamp, while the
battery is either in a little velcroed-on bag, or a hard case that slips into
your water bottle cage. So they can be unmounted and slipped into your bag in
seconds, rather than left unattended.

Here's one:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...&estore_ID=113

Great value, smart charger and all.

Performance has as good a selection as any, so browse around a little. Don't
forget a taillight too!

Matt O.

Old November 1st 04, 03:30 AM
Zoot Katz

Mon, 01 Nov 2004 01:40:43 GMT,
, "Beverly"
wrote:

Most of my riding is done on bike trails during day light hours. I never
considered buying lights until I misjudged how long it would take to return
to the car last weekend and had to ride the last few miles in the dark. I
was a little nervous as this trail is along a riverg I would like to have
a system that can easily be removed from the bike and possibly stored in a
bag until needed.

I'd recommend a fork-mounted integral headlight and generator.
Something like these http://bikelite.com
It's not removable so wouldn't be in the bag you need it on the bike.
The batteries wouldn't be flat. . . ever.
--
zk
Old November 1st 04, 04:53 AM
Frank Krygowski

Beverly wrote:

[...]

Here are your choices - three broad categories:

1) "Flashlight" style units, clip onto handlebars, batteries in the
unit. Typical cost is $10 to $30. Typically 1.25 to 2.4 watts. The
newest designs have LEDs instead of halogen bulbs. These are OK for
occasional use, but marginal at best for anything over, say, 15 mph
unless there are lots of street lights.

2) Generator lights. Typical prices are $15 to $50. Almost all are
2.4 to 3 watts. No battery worries, and usually lots better optics than
any other type of light. Good for almost all riding, except night
mountain biking. But installation is more difficult and semi-permanent.
Good up to 20 mph, at least.

3) "Big" rechargeable battery units. Separate battery, almost always
powering a headlight based on an MR-11 or MR-18 lamp, as sold at your
hardware store. Typically 10 watts to 35 watts. Typical prices are
maybe $75 to $200. Brightest of the lot, but worst optics of the lot,
so you're paying big bucks for the priveledge of lighting the trees
overhead. The batteries have finite life (maybe a few years), and are
expensive to replace (maybe $50).

You can find extremes in each category, but those are typical.

For your use, if it's really just occasional, I'd get a Type 1 light
(the Cateye Micro II is about the best - see Andrew Muzi at the Yellow
Jersey online, or Peter White Cycles online), plus a rear LED blinky,
and I'd ride slow.

If this became a habit, I'd install a generator. They last forever and
are always ready. (Well, you may have to replace the bulb someday.)

If you plan to ride twisty dirt paths at night, or plan to exceed 30 mph
regularly, or are a "more is always better" type of person, then get the
Type 3 light. Don't ever mess up your recharging regime, or you'll
either be riding in the dark, or shelling out for another battery.

I've long thought that there should be a unit that uses the headlight
shell from a generator set (with their typically excellent optics) with
a (say) 5 to 10 watt bulb, to save the battery life, and allow a smaller
& less expensive battery. This would be for people who prefer tending
(& replacing) a rechargeable battery to installing a generator, or for
people whose night vision is bad. I can't understand why the priciest
lights have the worst optics!

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old November 1st 04, 06:30 AM
David Reuteler

Zoot Katz wrote:
I'd recommend a fork-mounted integral headlight and generator.
Something like these http://bikelite.com
It's not removable so wouldn't be in the bag you need it on the bike.

pardon the cynic in me, but yea .. it'll be on someone else's bike. in mpls
everything that wasn't taken with you was eventually stolen.

The batteries wouldn't be flat. . . ever.

true.
--
david reuteler

Old November 1st 04, 08:10 AM
Zoot Katz

01 Nov 2004 05:30:17 GMT,
,
David Reuteler wrote:
\snip

The batteries wouldn't be flat. . . ever.

true.

That's what makes dynamos ideal for cyclists who use their lights only
occasionally. It also makes them ideal for cyclists who rely on their
lights daily.
--
zk
Old November 1st 04, 12:40 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 01:40:43 GMT, "Beverly"
wrote:

Most of my riding is done on bike trails during day light hours. I never
considered buying lights until I misjudged how long it would take to return
to the car last weekend and had to ride the last few miles in the dark. I
was a little nervous as this trail is along a riverg I would like to have
a system that can easily be removed from the bike and possibly stored in a
bag until needed.

And what makes you think that, had you bought such a system, it would
not have been tucked away in its little bag last weekend? ;-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old November 1st 04, 11:17 PM
R.White

"Beverly" wrote in message .. .
[...]

The Performance Viewpoint Gen3 sounds like it would be a good
light for you. It's on sale for $45 and runs on 4 AA batteries.
You could also use AA NiMH rechargables if you used it often.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=18633&subcategory_ID=4320
Old November 2nd 04, 01:05 AM
Claire Petersky

"Beverly" wrote in message

Most of my riding is done on bike trails during day light hours. I never
considered buying lights until I misjudged how long it would take to

return
to the car last weekend and had to ride the last few miles in the dark.

I'd get the Cat Eye Opticube HL-EL 300 Headlight (~$35.00). It's cheap, and
the batteries last *forever*. I used one for wintertime commuting and never
had to change the batteries all season. It's fine as an emergency light, or
for when your route is familiar and has street lighting (like my commute).

Another possibility is the Cat Eye HL-EL 500 Power Opticube Headlight
(~$50.00) which claims the same battery life, and 1000 candlepower, but I
have no experience with it.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old November 2nd 04, 01:10 AM
Beverly

wrote:

Most of my riding is done on bike trails during day light hours. I never
considered buying lights until I misjudged how long it would take to

return
to the car last weekend and had to ride the last few miles in the dark.

was a little nervous as this trail is along a riverg I would like to

have
a system that can easily be removed from the bike and possibly stored in

bag until needed.

And what makes you think that, had you bought such a system, it would
not have been tucked away in its little bag last weekend? ;-)

Guy

I should have been a little clearer. I intend to keep it in the bike bag.
Everything is kept in this little bag and I just remove everything but the
essentials needed for the current ride. I'll never take those lights out
when I'm going for an afternoon rideG

Beverly

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk