Daytime running lights seem more common.....

Old October 6th 20, 08:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Default Daytime running lights seem more common.....

Lou Holtman wrote:
Op dinsdag 6 oktober 2020 om 17:26:27 UTC+2 schreef Frank Krygowski:
On 10/5/2020 11:30 PM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 21:34:03 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 10/5/2020 4:18 PM, Ted Heise wrote:
On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 13:37:19 -0400,
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/4/2020 10:37 PM, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 21:45:07 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:
On 10/4/2020 8:49 PM, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 23:56:08 -0000 (UTC), bob prohaska
wrote:

In the past year or so it seems to me that riders using
daytime running lights are considerably more numerous. Has
anybody else noticed the same thing? Last year at this time
I think maybe one bike in ten had them, now it seems close
to one in three or four, at least on some days.

Over here I don't think I've ever seeing anyone with a white
front light but red "tail lights" seem to have become the
norm.

But I do believe that anything that makes the bicyclist more
noticeable would be a good thing.

Yes, I've noticed more DRLs. For one thing, every e-bike I
encounter seems to be running with its headlight on. But I
see a few roadies running daytime headlights, and more of
them running taillights.

But I disagree with John's final sentence. A guy running a
headlight when out on a lonely country road in bright
daylight? That's a "good thing" only for the companies
involved in the light sale. It does no real good for the
cyclist.

You missed the part about "makes the bicyclist more noticeable
would be a good thing"? Obviously if the cyclist is "more
noticeable" there must be those who would notice him/her/it.

Noticing a cyclist who is two blocks away confers no benefit.

Well, "two blocks" is covered pretty darn quickly at highway
speeds, so perhaps there is some benefit in being seen at greater
distance.

If the cyclist is two blocks (say, 1000 ft) away and moving just 12 mph
in the same direction as a 55 mph car, it takes over 15 seconds for the
car to reach the cyclist. 15 seconds is quite a long time in driving.
Count it out to visualize it.

But, but...The discussion was about a white light on the front of a
bicycle so your figures are not correct, it is actually closer to 10
seconds and for someone talking, reading a message or texting, on a
phone that isn't a very long time. And... some 26% of traffic
accidents are a result of hand phone use while driving.

Better double check your math, John. 1000 ft divided by 43 miles per
hour (= closing speed) times 3600 seconds per hour divided by 5280 feet
per mile.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Ah, I love those units...

Lou

There’s still a 3.6 conversion factor if you do it in metric.

Old October 6th 20, 08:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
Op dinsdag 6 oktober 2020 om 19:34:23 UTC+2 schreef AMuzi:

wrote:

[...]

Yes, we have barnyards full of them. Hogsheads and barrels and chains
and furlongs and candles...

I was noted for spending quite a bit of time teaching about unit
conversions within calculations. I imagine that's a much shorter topic
in your schools.

Well we had to learn what kilo, milli, micro, deci, hecto, pico, nano etc means.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_prefix

Don't underestimate that ;-)

Lou

Sometimes a few magnitudes make no difference at all:

https://nypost.com/2020/10/05/biden-...m-coronavirus/

But when The President says, 'Nice day', there's a crowd
lined up to call him a liar because it rained somewhere.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Even this is made political. Nice.... Man you have a ****ed up political
system/election. It is disgusting.

Lou

As a friend of mine said this weekend (while we were riding, so on topic),
“You can’t gaslight a virus.”

Old October 6th 20, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/5/2020 3:56 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

And beware of those with pre-conceived notions that deny reality.

You don't live here so you should not be talking trash about either
Donald Trump or Frank.
Old October 6th 20, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, October 6, 2020 at 3:12:01 PM UTC-5, sms wrote:
On 10/5/2020 3:56 PM, John B. wrote:

snip
And beware of those with pre-conceived notions that deny reality.

You don't live here so you should not be talking trash about either
Donald Trump or Frank.

????????? I don't live in Russia, but I still think Putin is a horrible dictator. I don't live in Turkey, but I still think Erdogan is not a good person. And there are lots of other countries I don't live in but I still think the country leader is bad. Under your very bad logic, the USA should never ever have entered WW2 against the Germans because Germany never directly attacked the USA.
Old October 6th 20, 10:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:

[...]

France did try to implement decimal time, shortly after the revolution.
For some reason it never took off, and we've been stuck on base 60 since
Sumer was a leading capital.
Old October 6th 20, 10:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Today he was blathering, lying about how the flu was worse than the Covid-19 virus.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisond.../#1cd961b04260
According to the article the flu killed "22,000 U.S. deaths in the 2019-2020 flu season, 34,200 deaths in 2018-2019 and 61,000 deaths in 2017-2018". Covid-19 has killed 215,000 people in seven months. Trump is a liar.
Old October 6th 20, 11:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

If they proposed it today I would be in favor. Rode 86 km in 2hr45min36sec. Average speed on my RPN calculator:
2 enter 45 enter 60 / + 36 enter 60 / 60 /+ 1/x 86 * tada 31.16 km/hr..... pfff.
It could have been 86 enter 2.76 /

Lou
Old October 6th 20, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

How so 43 mph? As I mentioned the discussion was about a white light
on the FRONT of the bike so, logically, it would only be effective
when the bike was headed TOWARD something. Your argument seems to be
that a FRONT light would be visible to vehicles behind the bicycle.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old October 6th 20, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Yup. Today's news has it that both Facebook and Twitter have removed
posts from the U.S. President as his posts were considered
"misinformation". In more vulgar terms one might say "lies".
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old October 6th 20, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 6 Oct 2020 13:11:52 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 10/5/2020 3:56 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

And beware of those with pre-conceived notions that deny reality.

You don't live here so you should not be talking trash about either
Donald Trump or Frank.

Why ever not? I'm a citizen of the U.S. I served my country for 20
years in the military and fought in two wars that the U.S. started.

I think that I'm as qualified as some obese politician to comment on
U.S. fallacies.
--
Cheers,

John B.