“I was just playing on my phone”: driver’s excuse when cyclist asked why he’d stopped

Old June 5th 20, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default “I was just playing on my phone”: driver’s excuse when cyclist asked why he’d stopped

Terrible "excuse".
QUOTE:
It would be highly amusing if it wasn't so dangerous, as the driver of this trailer-towing Ford Ranger seems to think playing on your phone is a reasonable excuse for crawling along a country lane, before coming to a stop and then moving off again.

According to the cyclist who shot the footage it happened near Kittochside in East Kilbride, where she was faced with the vehicle moving very slowly on the country lane. It then comes to a stop and the cyclist thinks he is letting her overtake, but then the vehicle starts to move. She said to the driver “I thought you were letting me past”, to which he cheerfully replied: “No, I was just playing on my phone."

The cyclist claims he then proudly showed off his mobile to advertise the fact. After hearing the driver’s explanation, the cyclist can be heard saying: “Absolute cracker". Not the sharpest tool in the box and one that hopefully can be prosecuted with a number plate clearly visible....

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling...ne-2020-274121
Old June 8th 20, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 05/06/2020 17:45, Simon Mason wrote:

[...]

Was there a double-yellow line at the side of the carriageway?
Old June 8th 20, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 08/06/2020 17:32, JNugent wrote:
[...]

For all your talk about laws, what an utterly pathetic response.
Old June 8th 20, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

JNugent wrote:

[...]

But he was undoubtedly acting unlawfully, double yellow or not.

Only two likely explanations, on this newsgroup, I would say:

1. 'He's not qualified as a driver, so, strictly speaking, he's a
cyclist'.

2. 'He is clearly short of shilling'. If only we knew how many
tattoos he has, and we had a psycologist well versed in the subject of
tattoos handy. (I know someone who stands in for such a 'tattoo
expert' - although it would probably require for the driver to
definitely be a cyclist for this 'expert' to be absolutely sure).

Anyway, I hope the cyclist (the one riding a bicycle) didn't complain
and hand that video clip into the police. The driver wasn't so much
dangerous (dawdling at that speed, when he wasn't actually stopped) as
simply dopey. We shouldn't all descend to the lowest denominator -
primed and ready to make like life even more difficult for one
another at the slightest provocation. All it takes is a little more
patience plus a bit of give and take, and all us road users could get
on a whole lot better.

Old June 8th 20, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 9:13:27 PM UTC+1, Kelly wrote:

Only two likely explanations, on this newsgroup, I would say:

1. 'He's not qualified as a driver, so, strictly speaking, he's a
cyclist'.

Where does it state in the report that the driver did not have a licence?
Old June 8th 20, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 08/06/2020 21:13, Kelly wrote:
[...]

With the engine running the driver was still in nominal control of the
car. So yes, technically an offence.

The positive is that a country lane is obviously too difficult for a
driver to focus concentration elsewhere without slowing down below bike
speed. So it's a much safer place than a featureless main road.
Old June 8th 20, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

Simon Mason wrote:

On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 9:13:27 PM UTC+1, Kelly wrote:

Only two likely explanations, on this newsgroup, I would say:

1. 'He's not qualified as a driver, so, strictly speaking, he's a
cyclist'.

Where does it state in the report that the driver did not have a licence?

Nowhere, but neither does it actually state anywhere in the report
that the driver does have a licence. And that's why agent provocateur
non-cyclists chose to take the view that if a driver does something
inexplicably stupid then the default position is that the driver is a
cyclist. It's all part of the provocative mischief game.

Old June 8th 20, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

TMS320 wrote:

[...]

I reckon so, and that risks, what, six points and a heavy fine? Crazy
thing to do just for that alone.

The positive is that a country lane is obviously too difficult for a
driver to focus concentration elsewhere without slowing down below bike
speed. So it's a much safer place than a featureless main road.

Agreed - still, it's a pretty dumb thing to do for no good reason.

Old June 8th 20, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 10:40:42 PM UTC+1, Kelly wrote:
But he was undoubtedly acting unlawfully, double yellow or not.

With the engine running the driver was still in nominal control of the
car. So yes, technically an offence.

I reckon so, and that risks, what, six points and a heavy fine? Crazy
thing to do just for that alone.

Looks to have been playing a game - not even talking to a friend.
Old June 9th 20, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 08/06/2020 20:20, TMS320 wrote:
[...]

Was the driver perrmitted to stop, or prohibited from stopping?

That seems an important question, wouldn't you say?