Cycling obituary

Old October 21st 20, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Cycling obituary

https://cyclingindustry.news/frame-b...oses-for-good/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 21st 20, 04:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 5:39:10 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/frame-b...oses-for-good/

This is like those stories of golden-age Hollywood actors dying. My first reaction was "I thought they were dead already." Hmmmm.

I could never get myself to buy a bike with a wrap-around stay with the letters "BJ" stamped in it. https://randalputnam.files.wordpress...mer-81-p-2.jpg
(The proto-Nashbar catalog). There are some really nice Jacksons out there, but when I started buying nice steel frames in the early '70s, they were just a little out of step and dated feeling. That was my first impression, and it stuck with me. Odd how we develop these prejudices. I did like the switch to fastback stays.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 21st 20, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/21/2020 10:02 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 5:39:10 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/frame-b...oses-for-good/

This is like those stories of golden-age Hollywood actors dying. My first reaction was "I thought they were dead already." Hmmmm.

I could never get myself to buy a bike with a wrap-around stay with the letters "BJ" stamped in it. https://randalputnam.files.wordpress...mer-81-p-2.jpg
(The proto-Nashbar catalog). There are some really nice Jacksons out there, but when I started buying nice steel frames in the early '70s, they were just a little out of step and dated feeling. That was my first impression, and it stuck with me. Odd how we develop these prejudices. I did like the switch to fastback stays.

-- Jay Beattie.

People like what they like and that's fine. Worlds a big place.

But the larger business problem was that the Jackson's
client base was apparently dying faster than the firm so
eventually it ended.

See also this dead Jackson owner's bike:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/kfbj.html

Old October 21st 20, 04:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 8:02:28 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 5:39:10 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://cyclingindustry.news/frame-b...oses-for-good/

This is like those stories of golden-age Hollywood actors dying. My first reaction was "I thought they were dead already." Hmmmm.

I could never get myself to buy a bike with a wrap-around stay with the letters "BJ" stamped in it. https://randalputnam.files.wordpress...mer-81-p-2.jpg
(The proto-Nashbar catalog). There are some really nice Jacksons out there, but when I started buying nice steel frames in the early '70s, they were just a little out of step and dated feeling. That was my first impression, and it stuck with me. Odd how we develop these prejudices. I did like the switch to fastback stays.

Bob Jackson and Mercian were the two best handling steel bikes I ever rode. I don't know what problem you had with the seat stays wrapping around the seat tube. The problem was that the good Bob Jackson's made from Reynolds 853 were so hard to find that you couldn't get one except new. Everyone that owned on wouldn't turn loose of them.
Old October 21st 20, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 10:21:59 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Sometimes your stupidity and cluelessness astounds me. Now is one of those times.

"I don't know what problem you had with the seat stays wrapping around the seat tube."
I understand you have no degree but even an uneducated person is usually able to put 2+2 together and figure things out. What are Bob Jackson's initials? What is printed/engraved on the wrap around seatstays of Bob Jackson frames? What other activity (its sexual) uses Bob Jackson's initials? Think about it.

Reynolds 853 was not released until 1995. I suspect Bob Jackson made 99%+ of all the frames it ever made long before 853 came into existence. So saying "the good Bob Jackson's made from Reynolds 853" is just dumb.
Old October 21st 20, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 12:05:49 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

And to answer his questions, I didn't like the aesthetic of wrap-around seat stays with a suggestive "BJ" on them, although if you read it backwards, it would be "JB," and I'd have a monogramed bike. I didn't like the filigree and pin-striping and paint of the era. It had a Victorian vibe, and I liked Italiano back then -- and the slick American frames, like this one: http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA...lman-Jones.htm

RIP, Bruce. I saw an even earlier version in a So Cal shop and was mesmerized.

In the 70s, any straight bike with the same geometry and the same materials rode the same -- or at least I couldn't tell the difference. The mid-priced Italian frames were practically fungible. If Pinarello ran out, they could probably respray some frames from Olmo. You had to get a Rigi to really distinguish yourself, or an electric drill. https://farm8.static.flickr.com/7395...3d034ea25f.jpg

-- Jay Beattie.

Old October 21st 20, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 10/21/2020 12:57 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I wonder how many on this forum remember the Rigi?

Mark J.
Old October 21st 20, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

AMuzi wrote:
[...]

All of us with minimal senile dementia up to here.
Just wait.

Old October 21st 20, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/21/2020 11:02 AM, jbeattie wrote:

here are some really nice Jacksons out there, but when I started buying nice steel frames in the early '70s, they were just a little out of step and dated feeling.

And ya GOTTA keep up with the trends! ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 21st 20, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, October 21, 2020 at 3:15:38 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/21/2020 11:02 AM, jbeattie wrote:

here are some really nice Jacksons out there, but when I started buying nice steel frames in the early '70s, they were just a little out of step and dated feeling.

And ya GOTTA keep up with the trends! ;-)

It's not even trends -- its aesthetic preferences. I still prefer a late '70s Bruce Gordon or California Masi to the TIG welded steel frames of today.. Another thing was paint -- in the mid-70s, US builders started using DuPont Imron polyurethane paint that produced a better look and a way more durable finish. Bob Jackson was using enamel or lacquers, and the finish was not that great -- at least on the mass-market stuff I saw in shops. I also liked the fact that the American builders weren't afraid of braze-ons. My bikes were made by a friend who was a custom builder, and I had braze-on top-tube cable guides in 1976-77 made of cut-down, small diameter tube sections.. BJ and many others were still using TT cable clamps that snagged your shorts.

-- Jay Beattie.

a cyclist's obituary AMuzi Techniques 2 March 26th 17 04:10 PM
Obituary - Barry Mason Tom Crispin[_4_] UK 49 July 6th 11 07:42 PM
Obituary of a Sport: The Horrible Lingering Death of Cycling rms[_2_] General 6 May 17th 07 08:03 AM
OT - Obituary EuanB Australia 5 November 22nd 05 01:51 AM
OT - Obituary cfsmtb Australia 0 November 22nd 05 12:40 AM