Bike sgop in Sydney

Old July 3rd 03, 06:23 AM
Joe @ Seaham

Default Bike sgop in Sydney

Good People,

Can you please tell me of a good bike shop in the Sydney area as I'll be
there with work and wish to buy some gear ?

Thank you.

Take Care & Keep Well,
Joe
______________________________
May God grant you the serenity to
accept the things you cannot change,
courage to change the things you can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.
_______________________________

Old July 2nd 03, 10:48 PM
Luther Blissett

Joe @ Seaham wrote:
Can you please tell me of a good bike shop in the Sydney area as I'll be
there with work and wish to buy some gear ?

I assume you mean the city and not the whole metro area?
If so, best bet is Cheek Monkey (http://www.cheekymonkey.com.au)

456 Pitt Street Sydney (near Central Station)

Open 8:30am - 6:30pm weekdays and 10 am - 4pm Saturday

- LB

Old July 3rd 03, 11:40 PM
SH

These guys support Critical Mass dont they?

So wouldnt you say they are really just acommuter shop, not a real bike
shop?

Id stick with Clarence street cyclery

"Luther Blissett" wrote in
message ...

Old July 4th 03, 08:09 AM
Luther Blissett

SH wrote:

These guys support Critical Mass dont they?

So wouldnt you say they are really just acommuter shop, not a real bike
shop?

Id stick with Clarence street cyclery

You stick with what you like, but no need to be such an arsehole.

Old July 5th 03, 01:09 AM
kingsley

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 08:40:34 +1000, SH wrote:

So wouldnt you say they are really just a commuter shop,
not a real bike shop?

Cheeky Monkey is one of the best bike stores I've
ever visited. The guys live and breathe bikes, they
are passionate about their work (Adam is a damn fine
wheel builder too).

If you go in and ask a question you will be given
a direct an honest answer. (This week I was told to
buy a particular bike on special from Phantom because
it was better than what they could do.)

The shop itself is tiny, but I always find it is packed
with more interesting stuff than Clarence. And there's
a mix of bikes too - everything from roadies to foldables.
It's a great place to browse, and have a look at what's
going on.

Of course what you wont find is a $9999 mountain bike
on the floor[1], nor 25 different flavours of Trek. Don't
get me wrong, Clarence St Cyclery is a great store too,
but despite 3 floors and lots of bikes, I don't find
the interesting and off-beat equipment you get at Cheeky
Monkey. A case in point are my lepoard-print fur mudflaps
I'm going to put on the tandem ('The Wumpus')... hardly
a commuting bike or product.

Both stores will give a discount to Bicycle NSW members.

Oh, and don't forget "Woolies Wheels" (sp?) Out at Paddington,
or any of the other non-CBD shops.

-kt

[1] a silver-grey Klein(?) XTR groupset expensive-alloy
(but not titanium). It's to the right of the 'special'
bikes on to ground floor adjacent to the counter.
Can someone please point out what that last $2000 is
buying?!

Old July 16th 03, 01:40 AM
orfeo

Kingsley wrote:
On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 08:40:34 +1000, SH wrote:
So wouldnt you say they are really just a commuter shop, not a real
bike shop?

Cheeky Monkey is one of the best bike stores I've ever visited. The guys
live and breathe bikes, they are passionate about their work (Adam is a
damn fine wheel builder too).
If you go in and ask a question you will be given a direct an honest
answer. (This week I was told to buy a particular bike on special from
Phantom because it was better than what they could do.)

When i used to courier in town cheecky monkey's was the place to go for
repairs and was the most repsected place among the couriers . Clarence
st has the range of new bikes and is a good place to shop but probably
you would buy somewhere else or ask for 10-20% off their prices.

orfeo

Old July 5th 03, 01:18 AM
kingsley

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 08:40:34 +1000, SH wrote:

These guys support Critical Mass dont they?

Do they?!
How do you tell?

Perhaps they support it in an 'ideals' sort of
way in that they too would like a safer cycling
environment on the roads. I know I do.

I suspect that with the right sort of
argument that *every* bike shop supports CM.

-kt

Old July 5th 03, 01:53 AM
Dave@fnq

"SH" wrote in message
These guys support Critical Mass dont they?

So wouldnt you say they are really just acommuter shop, not a real bike
shop?

Id stick with Clarence street cyclery

Many peope here also support Crical Mass, you you still come here!

Dave