searching for first road bike

Old June 8th 04, 02:05 AM
Shane Stanley

Default searching for first road bike

In article ,
flyingdutch wrote:

I recently upgraded my 853steel roady (which had 531 forks) to carbon
forks (Alu steerer) and the difference was HUGE!

Did you change anything else at the same time? Wheels? Tyres?

--
Shane Stanley
Old June 8th 04, 02:16 AM
Tamyka Bell

flyingdutch wrote:

suzyj wrote:
Originally posted by Daveb:
Do carbon forks on an alu frame make much of a difference?

Only by virtue of making your wallet lighter.
Much more difference would be felt by going to wider tyres, and not
pumping them up quite as hard.
Not that I'm against carbon forks (or other carbon bits), just that I
accept that the differences are almost entirely cosmetic.
Regards,
Suzy

I'd have to disagree with that one. well, kinda

I recently upgraded my 853steel roady (which had 531 forks) to carbon
forks (Alu steerer) and the difference was HUGE!

comfort and bump absorption was noticeable, however (i suspect from
being lighter?) they were 'skittier' when you sit up

I can only presume that the change from Alu to Carbon would be even
greater due to Alu's stiffness (but not weight vs 531)

Having said all that, bang for buck, running 25s or 28s would be far
cheaper and running your tyres at 10-20psi lower even cheaper!

--

Yeah it would really depend on your goals, I guess, e.g. I want to race
IMWA and IMOZ so I bought carbon straight up. I have a novice bike

That being said I often rode my commuter a little low so I didn't need
to buy a comfier saddle.

______________________________________

Tamyka Bell, PhD Student
School of Human Movement Studies
The University Of Queensland
w: +61-7-33656105
m: +61-4-00782972
e:
______________________________________
Old June 8th 04, 03:45 AM
flyingdutch

Shane Stanley wrote:
In article ,
flyingdutch wrote:
I recently upgraded my 853steel roady (which had 531 forks) to carbon
forks (Alu steerer) and the difference was HUGE!

Did you change anything else at the same time? Wheels? Tyres?
--
Shane Stanley

Chorus04 grouppo (from 8spd veloce) Proton Wheel

I put the original Atlanta front wheel back on to make sure my memory o
the 531 fork hadnt been clouded, with the same tyres (Michelin Kevlar
red-stripe. dont make em anymore) The difference was not huge but m
'favourite'(!?!?!?) bit of bumpy road for comaprison was definetel
better on the carbon forks. The protons are way lighter and not
liability in cross-winds like the Atlanta's (altho they are great a
40kph+) Soon after i went up to folding Michelin Carbons (yello stripe
see Suzy's fixy in bullhorn thread) which are better again. accelerat
very nicely and so far good puncture-wise to

-

Old June 8th 04, 04:24 AM
DaveB

flyingdutch wrote:

Having said all that, bang for buck, running 25s or 28s would be far
cheaper and running your tyres at 10-20psi lower even cheaper!

I'd be happy to go to 23's but anything bigger than 20 on my rear wheel
rubs against the frame, which I found after buying a set of 23's. So now
I have 20 on the rear and 23 on the front (and a spare 23). I guess I
could go up further on the front because that's really where all the
pain is. Means I'll never get to use that spare 23 but still a lot
cheaper than new forks.

DaveB

Old June 8th 04, 05:00 AM
hippy

Originally posted by Daveb I'd be happy to go to 23's but anythin
bigger than 20 on my rear wheel rubs against the frame, which I foun
after buying a set of 23's

That's some tight frame geo you've got there! What sort of frame is it

hipp

-

Old June 8th 04, 05:19 AM
Shane Stanley

In article ,
flyingdutch wrote:

I put the original Atlanta front wheel back on to make sure my memory of
the 531 fork hadnt been clouded, with the same tyres (Michelin Kevlars
red-stripe. dont make em anymore) The difference was not huge but my
'favourite'(!?!?!?) bit of bumpy road for comaprison was definetely
better on the carbon forks.

"better" I can cop; it was "HUGE" I had trouble with ;-)

--
Shane Stanley
Old June 8th 04, 05:30 AM
flyingdutch

Daveb wrote:
flyingdutch wrote:
I'd be happy to go to 23's but anything bigger than 20 on my rear wheel
rubs against the frame, which I found after buying a set of 23's. So now
I have 20 on the rear and 23 on the front (and a spare 23). I guess I
could go up further on the front because that's really where all the
pain is. Means I'll never get to use that spare 23 but still a lot
cheaper than new forks.
DaveB

Whoa! what's the frame? a TTing bike

-

Old June 8th 04, 05:47 AM
DaveB

flyingdutch wrote:
Daveb wrote:
flyingdutch wrote:
I'd be happy to go to 23's but anything bigger than 20 on my rear wheel
rubs against the frame, which I found after buying a set of 23's. So now
I have 20 on the rear and 23 on the front (and a spare 23). I guess I
could go up further on the front because that's really where all the
pain is. Means I'll never get to use that spare 23 but still a lot
cheaper than new forks.
DaveB

Whoa! what's the frame? a TTing bike?

It's an Apollo Giro alu frame donated by a friend when he saw me doing
triathlons
on my 10 year old KMart MTB. I then bought a $90 secondhand bike and got
the
LBS to swap all the components. The frame has 14 SIS on it (has this got
something
to do with the size). The 23 on the rear wheel was fine until I got a
new pump and
started pumping them up to 110. That was when I found they rubbed
against the frame.

@#$%^%$ secondhand crap. I want a new bike!!!!

DaveB

Last Chance Road [email protected] Rides 2 June 3rd 04 03:01 AM
Last Chance Road [email protected] Rides 1 April 29th 04 02:38 AM
MTB on road - just curious Saint UK 88 April 25th 04 02:35 PM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 09:44 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM