poor ickle cyclists offended by the signs

Old November 10th 11, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Default poor ickle cyclists offended by the signs

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...s-10112011.htm

Old November 10th 11, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Weaseltemper[_2_]

On 10/11/2011 12:37, Mrcheerful wrote:
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...s-10112011.htm

I don’t know about polite but it would be nice if they actually meant
something. "NO CYCLING" is not really polite, but it means something.
Perhaps the "Cyclists Dismount" should say "End of cycle facility". At
least then it means something. At least to the people who use it.

--
Simon
For personal replies, please use my reply-to address.
Old November 10th 11, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Simon Weaseltemper" wrote in message
news:j9gpdk$d70 I don’t know about polite but it would be nice if they
actually meant
something. "NO CYCLING" is not really polite, but it means something.
Perhaps the "Cyclists Dismount" should say "End of cycle facility". At
least then it means something. At least to the people who use it.

Personally, I make a habit of ignoring "cyclists dismount" signs as they
have no legal bearing at all. They are just a cop out by the Council.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old November 10th 11, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 15:08:40 +0000, Simon Weaseltemper
wrote:

On 10/11/2011 12:37, Mrcheerful wrote:
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...s-10112011.htm

I don’t know about polite but it would be nice if they actually meant
something. "NO CYCLING" is not really polite, but it means something.
Perhaps the "Cyclists Dismount" should say "End of cycle facility". At
least then it means something. At least to the people who use it.

They are rectangular, i.e. informational - and generally factually
inaccurate, so useless.

Guy
--
Guy Chapman, http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
The usenet price promise: all opinions are guaranteed
Old November 10th 11, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 10/11/2011 15:08, Simon Weaseltemper wrote:

On 10/11/2011 12:37, Mrcheerful wrote:

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...s-10112011.htm

I don’t know about polite but it would be nice if they actually meant
something. "NO CYCLING" is not really polite, but it means something.

But what does it mean?

It doesn't often seem to be interpreted as "no cycling".

Perhaps
the "Cyclists Dismount" should say "End of cycle facility". At least then it
means something. At least to the people who use it.

"Get Off Now and Walk"?
Old November 10th 11, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 18:06:29 -0000, "Simon Mason"
wrote:

"Simon Weaseltemper" wrote in message
news:j9gpdk$d70 I don’t know about polite but it would be nice if they
actually meant
something. "NO CYCLING" is not really polite, but it means something.
Perhaps the "Cyclists Dismount" should say "End of cycle facility". At
least then it means something. At least to the people who use it.

Personally, I make a habit of ignoring "cyclists dismount" signs as they
have no legal bearing at all. They are just a cop out by the Council.

Yeeeees - the inconsiderate psycholist yet again.

Feel free to ignore all signs which are there for a purpose - but have no legal
bearing on cyclists.

I bet you always go out of your way to ignore advisory speed limits in road
works when you are in your car. What about "Please slow down - Deaf Children"
- no basis in law - therefore Simple Simon will go as fast as he can.

--
"You get a real feeling of elation just for the simple act of cycling past the local hospital
where there are people of my age who have abused their bodies and suffered all sorts of ailments"

Simon Mason 8 Novemebr 2011

It is believed that he has a wank on the thought of it once he gets home
Old November 11th 11, 04:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...sts-to-dismoun....

I don’t know about polite but it would be nice if they actually meant
something. "NO CYCLING" is not really polite, but it means something.
Perhaps the "Cyclists Dismount" should say "End of cycle facility". At
least then it means something. At least to the people who use it.

They are rectangular, i.e. informational - and generally factually
inaccurate, so useless.

Guy
--
Guy Chapman,http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
The usenet price promise: all opinions are guaranteed
to be worth at least what you paid for them.

If they were circular I might take notice of them, but they are not so
can be safely ignored.

--

Simon Mason
Old November 11th 11, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 10/11/2011 12:37, Mrcheerful wrote:
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...s-10112011.htm

What a bunch of *******;

Simon Nuttall, the campaign’s events officer, said: “In the world of
cycling the ‘Cyclists Dismount’ sign is amongst the most annoying.

Note the idiot is called Simon. Why are they all so simple?

I find 'No Entry' and 'One Way' signs annoying, but being a sensible law
abiding motorist I obey them.

“There’s no equivalent for motorists suggesting ‘Get out and push’.

Of course there isn't, cars have engines.

“I think what the sign is really trying to say is ‘Cyclists: slow
down and take extra care here as there may be pedestrians, children
or dogs’.

Anyone normal would of course think that a 'Cyclists Dismount' sign
meant that cyclists should dismount.

“The sign itself is ‘advisory and so does not legally require the
rider to dismount, but the way the sign works is that even if the
cyclist slows right down and takes extra care it looks as though the
rider is behaving badly and irresponsibly.

That would be because the cyclist is behaving badly & irresponsibly.

“Instead we need a sign that says ‘Be nice’.”

Even better - "Get off that ****ing push bike".

University
Old November 11th 11, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 10/11/2011 15:08, Simon Weaseltemper wrote:
On 10/11/2011 12:37, Mrcheerful wrote:
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...s-10112011.htm

I don’t know about polite but it would be nice if they actually meant
something. "NO CYCLING" is not really polite, but it means something.
Perhaps the "Cyclists Dismount" should say "End of cycle facility". At
least then it means something. At least to the people who use it.

I would have thought that even a bicyclists would understand that a 'No
Cycling' sign meant - no cycling.

It appears bicyclists are even thicker than I thought...
University
Old November 11th 11, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Nov 11, 6:30*pm, Phil W Lee wrote:
"Just zis Guy, you know?" considered
Thu, 10 Nov 2011 19:19:42 +0000 the perfect time to write:

wrote:

On 10/11/2011 12:37, Mrcheerful wrote:
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...sts-to-dismoun....

I don’t know about polite but it would be nice if they actually meant
something. "NO CYCLING" is not really polite, but it means something.
Perhaps the "Cyclists Dismount" should say "End of cycle facility". At
least then it means something. At least to the people who use it.

They are rectangular, i.e. informational - and generally factually
inaccurate, so useless.

I only partially disagree.
They are factually correct - cyclists do indeed dismount, but I don't
think it's necessary to proclaim the fact on a signpost, particularly
when it has the effect of misleading people.- Hide quoted text -

Usually the local busibodies who write the Parish Council's
newsletters IME.

--
Simon Mason

What poor Rheannon could teach all cyclists Simon Mason UK 0 September 28th 11 06:22 PM
Cyclists ignoring dismount signs. Simon Mason[_4_] UK 26 June 27th 11 11:09 PM
Poor old cyclists Tony Raven[_3_] UK 20 January 17th 11 01:30 PM
OT You can put up signs, but these cyclists know better Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 35 December 8th 10 04:14 PM
Left-turning cyclists could be exempt from stop signs. Doug[_3_] UK 285 November 2nd 08 12:08 PM