Kingsley's FAQ & Frame Strip & Paint Options

Old June 3rd 04, 05:15 AM
hippy

Default Kingsley's FAQ & Frame Strip & Paint Options

Originally posted by Bikesoiler I recomend powdercoat

As do all the auto spray painters I just called.

Gripsport use a good & experienced powdercoat place, not cheap though
~ $180, I think

Ouch

After wrestling with yellowpages.com.au, which spits out powde
coaters for one suburb and 17 for the suburb next to it, I have th
following quote

For a steel bike frame and fork it will cost $25-30 for sand blastin
and $39 for coating and will take about a week. I found another plac
that will coat for $30, but they don't blast and all the other blaster
are more expensive than $25-30

Question: Is sandblasting okay on a bike frame? What about th
various threads

hipp

-

Old June 3rd 04, 05:30 AM
flyingdutch

How 'softcore' are you getting

money is flowing. effort is being averted. those bicycle express frame
may end up cheaper than your project at this rate!:

next thing you'll be assigning someone to ride it for you :

running away now. all hopes of getting hippy's discarded ENO hub gone..

-

Old June 3rd 04, 05:30 AM
hippy

Originally posted by suzy
hippy I don't want to do a Suzy and buy a heap of gear to pain

So is being verbed a good thing or a bad thing

Most definately a good thing! Much respect for your garage-efforts!
don't have the time/patience/tools/room/insert any other excuses here
to do the stuff you do.

Your best cheap bet is to buy some paint stripper

The Bunnings guy I called said I'd need a litre and it would cost $18
The quote I just got for blasting was for $25-30. If this deal remains
I'm going to drop it off at this mob and get it blasted and powder
coated (sounds more durable than paint) for $70. I am happy with tha
price and I also like the fact that a litre of seriously toxic cru
doesn't end up in my backyard

As for painting options, I thoroughly recommend a compressor, pain
gun, and some good quality paint, but if I were starving I'd tr
some of the enamel spray cans you can get from the hardware store
Steer away from car touch-up paint, as it's not very durable an
will chip badly

I was going to do the spraycan paintjob, but the blast+coat is much mor
tempting. It might cost me $50 more, but I'm willing to pay that fo
what I know will be a better finish

Use a file to take off and stuff you don't want from the frame, rathe
than a grinder. A grinder is liable to get things too hot

Cheers! I will try to find a file and give it a go tonight. I don't eve
have a workbench or a vice at home so Bunnings might be getting som
of my cash tonight..

Thanks again! hipp

-

Old June 3rd 04, 05:45 AM
Bikesoiler

hippy wrote:
[B After wrestling with yellowpages.com.au, which spits out powder
coaters for one suburb and 17 for the suburb next to it, I have the
following quote:
For a steel bike frame and fork it will cost $25-30 for sand blasting
and $39 for coating and will take about a week. I found another place
that will coat for $30, but they don't blast and all the other blasters
are more expensive than $25-30.
Question: Is sandblasting okay on a bike frame? What about the
various threads?
hippy

I would recomend bead blasting over sandblasting. Not sure about thread
but am sure I'd only give any frame of mine to someone who has done bik
frames &/or thin tubes before

-

Old June 3rd 04, 05:45 AM
hippy

Originally posted by flyingdutch How 'softcore' are you getting

hehe.

O' Contrare... (however the hell you spell that!

What you fail to understand is this: If I get someone else to strip an
paint the bike... I can be RIDING during this time!!

Instead of sitting in a shed sniffing paint stripper fumes.. (well mayb
that would be fun?) I can leave it to someone to do a GOOD job and rid
another bike.. yay! :

I never claimed to like working on bikes, only riding them :

money is flowing. effort is being averted. those bicycle expres
frames may end up cheaper than your project at this rate!:

I think I've said before that money spent on bikes is never wasted..
spend up people! :

next thing you'll be assigning someone to ride it for you :

I'm looking for volunteers to ride my ss home tonight? Anyone? Anyone
I'm tired, I'm running myself into the ground and it's ****ing dow
outside..

running away now. all hopes of getting hippy's discarded ENO hu
gone..

Discarded? Just coz I'm getting a set of track hubs, don't think I'm no
going to use the ENO in another bike! :

hipp
- no such thing as too many

-

Old June 3rd 04, 05:45 AM
flyingdutch

I'm looking for volunteers to ride my ss home tonight? Anyone
Anyone? I'm tired, I'm running myself into the ground and it'
****ing down outside..

I hear ya! I stupidly took the guards off this morning thinking "What
beautiful day!

hipp
- no such thing as too many

Guess who aint married, then

Hehe

That's what that dude down in Geelong said! And look where it got him
Noice collection tho. Just got back from the copshop..

-

Old June 3rd 04, 06:15 AM
hippy

Originally posted by flyingdutch I hear ya! I stupidly took the guard
off this morning thinking "What a beautiful day!

hehe.. did you think you were in Sydney or something? :

hipp
- no such thing as too many

Guess who aint married, then

Yeah, I've recently been made relationship-redundant too.

Fuggit, more time for the beer & bikes..

That's what that dude down in Geelong said! And look where it got him
Noice collection tho. Just got back from the copshop..

He lived to a ripe old age didn't he? and he's now world famous! :-

At least I ride most of my bikes.. he just locked 'em in his house

hipp

-

Old June 3rd 04, 06:30 AM
flyingdutch

hippy wrote:
Yeah, I've recently been made relationship-redundant too..
Fuggit, more time for the beer & bikes...
hippy

He's available goirls

what more could you want? a houseful of bikes, beer and hair:

-

Old June 3rd 04, 06:39 AM
Terry Collins

hippy wrote:

Originally posted by Terry Collins
Paint stripper. Depending on the quality of the original job, it may
take up to 5 coats.

I get mine from a real hardware store, but yep, Bunnings, etc
should have it.

They do, but they want $18 for a litre. The guy said I'd need a litre to
strip a bike frame (he was guessing). Sounds like a lot of hardcore
chemicals to remove some paint! Assuming I remember and have time, I'll
call some places tomorrow and see how much it costs to have a frame
blasted clean.. then decide.

The $$ is one reason I avoid Bunnings, but everything eventually goes
up.

Basically, some paint jobs come off easily, but Taiwan 2-pack is
suppossed to be a lifetime paintjob (It kills the workers lungs and
remains after the frame rusts away {:-).

My other method is burning it off with the oxy-acetylene torch and/or a
linisher (belt sander basically),

Have fun.
Old June 3rd 04, 06:57 AM
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 03 Jun 2004 04:15:09 GMT
hippy wrote:

Question: Is sandblasting okay on a bike frame? What about the
various threads?

When I got a motorcycle frame blasted, I taped all external threads with
masking tape, and I stuffed rag into internal threads and taped over
that.

Ask your blaster their preferred thread protecting method. Also, don't
forget any bearing surfaces need to be protected too.

Zebee