First Singlespeed Commute

Old June 7th 04, 11:34 AM
Gags

Default First Singlespeed Commute

Well, I finally scored the brakes for my singlespeed project (Thanks Hippy
for the front ones) and today was my first commute to Southbank along the
Yarra Trail (23 km or so each way).

It was certainly different and made me work a lot harder on the uphills to
keep my cadence up to a reasonable level. I also found that I was out of
the seat for the steeper hills which I usually change down and spin up (say
goodbye to the chicken legs hopefully).

The only downside was that I found that I had to glide on downhills where I
would normally push it faster (running a 32T front chainring and a 15T rear
cog). I was also "maxing out" on the flats and hitting a speed where I just
couldn't pedal any faster. I think I might try a 14T or 13T on the back
sometime later this week.

Anyway, using an old bike frame, total cost was $80 (for V brakes, rigid
forks, brake cables) with the rest of the parts coming from the bike or my
parts bin.

I reckon that today was my first ride of a single speed in about 20 to 25
years or so when I traded in my Malvern Star for a Three Speed Dragster
(with T bar shift and huge sissy bar).

Ride on,

Gags

Old June 7th 04, 01:17 PM
Parbs

Gags wrote:
[...]

Ride on Gags.

I managed to include another little section of singletrack on my singlespeed commute tonight. Not a very long section, probably
less than 50m, but in the city I'll take all I can get.

Parbs

Old June 7th 04, 11:30 PM
Koon Yong

Gags wrote:
The only downside was that I found that I had to glide on downhills
where I would normally push it faster (running a 32T front chainring and
a 15T rear cog). I was also "maxing out" on the flats and hitting a
speed where I just couldn't pedal any faster. I think I might try a 14T
or 13T on the back sometime later this week.
Ride on,
Gags

Welcome to the club Gags

I would strongly suggest that you move up to a bigger chainring then
smaller rear cog especially if you're using some sort of tension device
You're more likely to throw the chain yanking up those hills on a smal
cog. If given a choice, always go with more teeth then less to achiev
your desired gearing

Cheers Koo

-

Old June 8th 04, 01:45 AM
hippy

Originally posted by Gags Well, I finally scored the brakes for m
singlespeed project (Thanks Hippy for the front ones

No wuckins! ;

It was certainly different and made me work a lot harder on the uphill
to keep my cadence up to a reasonable level

Yep.. feel the burn! I've got big legs though so do most hills seate
unless I'm trying to go really hard upwards.

The only downside was that I found that I had to glide on downhill
where I would normally push it faster (running a 32T front chainrin
and a 15T rear cog). I was also "maxing out" on the flats and hitting
speed where I just couldn't pedal any faster. I think I might try a 14
or 13T on the back sometime later this week

My problem exactly. I need to gear up. I would suggest to you though t
put a bigger chainring on rather than a smaller rear cog. More teeth
better engagement and slower wearing parts. There's almost no teeth lef
on my chainring so soon I'm going to fit a 34T or 36T and leave the 15
on the rear or move up a little, depending on how it feels

hipp

-

Old June 8th 04, 04:29 AM
Koon Yong

hippy wrote:

My problem exactly. I need to gear up. I would suggest to you though to
put a bigger chainring on rather than a smaller rear cog. More teeth =
better engagement and slower wearing parts. There's almost no teeth left
on my chainring so soon I'm going to fit a 34T or 36T and leave the 15T
on the rear or move up a little, depending on how it feels.
hippy

Hey Hippy

I reckon you've been ridding enough SS to go to at least a 42x16

Go on ... you know you want to ..

Koo

-

Old June 8th 04, 05:00 AM
warrwych

Gags wrote:
Anyway, using an old bike frame, total cost was $80 (for V brakes, rigid
forks, brake cables) with the rest of the parts coming from the bike or
my parts bin.
I reckon that today was my first ride of a single speed in about 20 to
25 years or so when I traded in my Malvern Star for a Three Speed
Dragster (with T bar shift and huge sissy bar).
Ride on,
Gags

Hi Everyon

have been lurking for sometime during my lunchbreaks ;-) and all thi
talk of single speed projects is just too much for a gal to take

I have an old repco supalight tucked away out the back of the house an
I keep thinking what am I going to do with that?? Now I know ;-) Thank
for the inspiration!!

Looking forward to hearing how you progress Gags....

-

Old June 8th 04, 05:00 AM
hippy

Koon Yong wrote:
Hey Hippy, I reckon you've been ridding enough SS to go to at least a
42x16. Go on ... you know you want to ...

The street fixie will be geared something like that. I think th
chainring in the groupset was 48 and the cog was 17 or 18

As for the SS, it will depend on what chainrings I can find for it.
didn't actually think about going that high but it's worth a try
suppose. You've only got one set of knees.. better to use them to thei
fullest potential early, right? ;

hipp

-

Old June 8th 04, 05:14 AM
Koon Yong

hippy wrote:
The street fixie will be geared something like that. I think the
chainring in the groupset was 48 and the cog was 17 or 18?
As for the SS, it will depend on what chainrings I can find for it. I
didn't actually think about going that high but it's worth a try I
suppose. You've only got one set of knees.. better to use them to their
fullest potential early, right?
hippy

Good Luck with those chain rings ... last year I wanted a 36 or 38T rin
for offroad use and my LBS guy recommended blackspire DH rings

I waited 2 mths for that ring and the distributor kept spending one i
the wrong BCD. Finally, we said ?%&$ this, and that was the end of that

Anyway, I now run 44x16 with slicks (almost 1.5 years now)... it's
very doable gearing and not as tough as you might think. Your legs wil
adjust to the gearing and eventually your knees won't hurt anymore. O
most days, I feel more strain on my calfs then I do in my knees ... mor
so because I don't warm up before my commute

cheers Koo

-

Old June 8th 04, 05:30 AM
flyingdutch

Koon Yong wrote:
On most days, I feel more strain on my calfs then I do in my knees ...
more so because I don't warm up before my commute.
cheers Koon

You forgot to mention you live in a hill-less part of Melbourne :

I tried 42x16 on my project SS (the wheel is going great. tanx!) bu
have gone back to a 38T and put some slicker tyres on. now i just nee
some narrower rims than the Rhyno that was on it so I can go back t
using my Fatboys agai

Heck, Im even thinkun of doing the 'Hippy-cum-courier' thang and gettin
a FUX bag as rack pannier is a pain for so much out-of-saddle stuf

-

Old June 8th 04, 05:30 AM
cfsmtb

Gags wrote:
I reckon that today was my first ride of a single speed in about 20 to
25 years or so when I traded in my Malvern Star for a Three Speed
Dragster (with T bar shift and huge sissy bar). Ride on, Gags

Congrats! Don't believe my short commute 'round to the new place on
BMX with flat tyres matches up to your achievement. But hurt though
even attempting to stand the pedals just made the whole enterprise mor
painful. :

-

My first commute to London Bob UK 24 April 29th 04 08:51 AM
First ride in on my singlespeed. David Brown :o\) UK 0 April 23rd 04 10:36 AM
Record Time Commute AGAIN! Lee UK 35 September 4th 03 09:05 PM
Day 3 - Unfit person decides to commute 6 miles to work Lee UK 17 August 15th 03 10:54 AM