Head Stems

Old June 12th 04, 10:56 AM
xbgs351

Default Head Stems

Welded aluminium head stems have been failing at an alarming rate. Upo
inspection, my old head stem had a 15mm crack in the weld. I have sinc
come across numerous cracked head stems and know of a number of seriou
accidents that have occured when the head stems have broken. One cylis
was knocked unconsious and another has been left with large scars on al
of his limbs

Everybody with a welded aluminium head stem should replace it as soon a
possible. With the current trend of powder coated head stems it is ver
difficult to inspect the welds for cracking. The cracks occur on th
rear weld in the corner and radiate up the weld

If you are buying a new bike make sure that it has a forged headstem an
not a welded headstem

When you see somebody who has a bike with a welded head stem, tell the
that they can expect the headstem to experience catastrophic failure

-

Old June 12th 04, 11:38 AM
Marty Wallace

"xbgs351" wrote in message
Welded aluminium head stems have been failing at an alarming rate. Upon
inspection, my old head stem had a 15mm crack in the weld. I have since
come across numerous cracked head stems and know of a number of serious
accidents that have occured when the head stems have broken. One cylist
was knocked unconsious and another has been left with large scars on all
of his limbs.

Everybody with a welded aluminium head stem should replace it as soon as
possible. With the current trend of powder coated head stems it is very
difficult to inspect the welds for cracking. The cracks occur on the
rear weld in the corner and radiate up the weld.

If you are buying a new bike make sure that it has a forged headstem and
not a welded headstem.

When you see somebody who has a bike with a welded head stem, tell them
that they can expect the headstem to experience catastrophic failure.

Can you give us some evidence to support your claim?

Marty

Old June 12th 04, 12:13 PM
GPLama

Just replaced mine this week on the Giant OCR-1 2003.. the default was an
adjustable quill style creaky POS.. In my quest to make the bike a better
fit, I've installed a 90mm stem with a quill to ahead converter.. not the
ideal solution, but the setup is now better fitting and lighter..

From what I saw in my research, those welded stems were ass ugly so I stayed
away..

cheers,
gpl

Old June 13th 04, 11:15 AM
xbgs351

Marty Wallace wrote:
"xbgs351" wrote in message news:1rAyc.-
$ -
rver.com...
Welded aluminium head stems have been failing at an alarming rate.
Upon inspection, my old head stem had a 15mm crack in the weld. I have
since come across numerous cracked head stems and know of a number of
serious accidents that have occured when the head stems have broken.
One cylist was knocked unconsious and another has been left with large
scars on all of his limbs.

Everybody with a welded aluminium head stem should replace it as soon
as possible. With the current trend of powder coated head stems it is
very difficult to inspect the welds for cracking. The cracks occur on
the rear weld in the corner and radiate up the weld.

If you are buying a new bike make sure that it has a forged headstem
and not a welded headstem.

When you see somebody who has a bike with a welded head stem, tell
them that they can expect the headstem to experience catastrophic
failure.

Can you give us some evidence to support your claim?
Marty

If you have a look at every bike that has a welded aluminium hea
stem you will soon see that a very high percentage of them hav
developed cracks

I can also name two people who have crashed when the head stem
have failed

-

Old June 13th 04, 01:29 PM
Marty Wallace

"xbgs351" wrote in message
news
Marty Wallace wrote:
"xbgs351" wrote in message

$ -
rver.com...
[...]

If you have a look at every bike that has a welded aluminium head
stem you will soon see that a very high percentage of them have
developed cracks.

I can also name two people who have crashed when the head stems
have failed.

Oh ok, sounds like pretty good evidence to me. I expect we'll see all welded
head stems taken off the shelves in the next few days.

Marty

Old June 13th 04, 06:15 PM
Resound

xbgs351 wrote:
[...]

What's the difference in cost these days to go with a good Ti ste
instead? For a relatively simple piece like a stem I'd expect it to b
quite feasible for a lot of people

-

Old June 14th 04, 12:42 AM
NickZX6R

Marty Wallace wrote:
"xbgs351" wrote in message
news
Marty Wallace wrote:
"xbgs351" wrote in message

$ -

rver.com...
[...]

I guess I shouldn't hold my breath either then Marty?

I've never heard of stems breaking in such a way. Nobody I know has ever
heard of it either. I'd estimate a collective 180,000+ kms of riding in
which nobody I know has had a stem break.

I've mostly had well known brands - 3TTT, ITM & Deda, so maybe it's a
case of you get what you pay for? Although I've never been convinced
that the name stamoed on the side guarantees any particular quality.

I'd be very curious to see some actual evidence too.

Who are these two people? HOw old/used were the stems? What sort of
riding? MTB or road? etc...

--
Nick
Old June 14th 04, 08:00 AM
xbgs351

Bikes with Tri bars seem to be far more prone to developing cracks

My head stem cracked when I had tri-bars on. I weighed approx 65kg a
the time. The crack was noticed after approx 20,000 km although it ma
have been present for a long time

Have have heard but can't confirm, of a headstem failing after onl
six weeks

-

Old June 14th 04, 08:30 AM
byron27

Nickzx6r wrote:
Marty Wallace wrote:
"xbgs351" wrote in message newsPVy-
PVyc.28 -
enetserver.com...

Marty Wallace wrote:
"xbgs351" wrote in message

senetse-

rver.com...
[...]

tell them that they can expect the headstem to experience
catastrophic failure.

[...]

mmmmmm....there has been no evidence provided but i was shaking my hea
in agreement all through the initial email. Only because the sam
has happened to me twice. Of course, this is no reason to NOT bu
those stems and everyone has had their personal experience wit
these stems and then, an opinion. Unless there is a widescal
recall on a certain type of stem or product, it makes i
difficult to state "do not buy those stems". Anyhow, for th
record: Both stems were ITM, though i have since bought a forge
ITM stem and have had no problems for 2 years. I weigh about 85k
and used them on my courier bike, avanti corsa, , so lots of cur
popping and track stands, etc. I would only buy a forged ste
from now on and would recommend that to anyone over 80kgs

-

Old June 14th 04, 10:51 AM
NickZX6R

byron27 wrote:
Nickzx6r wrote:
Marty Wallace wrote:
"xbgs351" wrote in message newsPVy-
PVyc.28 -
enetserver.com...

Marty Wallace wrote:
"xbgs351" wrote in message

senetse-

rver.com...
[...]

mmmmmm....there has been no evidence provided but i was shaking my head
in agreement all through the initial email. Only because the same
has happened to me twice. Of course, this is no reason to NOT buy
those stems and everyone has had their personal experience with
these stems and then, an opinion. Unless there is a widescale
recall on a certain type of stem or product, it makes it
difficult to state "do not buy those stems". Anyhow, for the
record: Both stems were ITM, though i have since bought a forged
ITM stem and have had no problems for 2 years. I weigh about 85kg
and used them on my courier bike, avanti corsa, , so lots of curb
popping and track stands, etc. I would only buy a forged stem
from now on and would recommend that to anyone over 80kgs.

--

That's interesting.

Maybe a contributing factor is the drive towards lighter parts at the
same time that a lot of people don't use their bikes much - I mean that
manufacturers probably don't expect most people to ride many thousands
of kms on one bike?

Anyone else got some direct experience to offer here?

--
Nick