Chain skipping

Old June 23rd 04, 02:34 AM
Micheal Artindale

Default Chain skipping

My chain was skipping on my middle and high range. I replaced the chain, and
now its reverse.

I have a POS bike... but should replaceing a very stripped chain cause the
complete oppisite?

Is it just the chain working its self in?

Any ideas, besides replace bike--- which will be done in fall, or spring.

Old June 23rd 04, 03:04 AM
tcmedara

Micheal Artindale wrote:
My chain was skipping on my middle and high range. I replaced the
chain, and now its reverse.

I have a POS bike... but should replaceing a very stripped chain
cause the complete oppisite?

Is it just the chain working its self in?

Any ideas, besides replace bike--- which will be done in fall, or
spring.

Replace cassette and/or chainrings. Cogs and chainrings will wear to
accomodate a worn chain, particularly if the chain is very worn. Skipping
with a new chain is a typical indication that you waited too long to replace
the chain and now are probably going to have to replace the offending
cassette or ring.

Good read he http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html Scroll down to the
section on "Chain and Sprocket Wear" for the specific details.

Depending on size/quality, you can grab a new cassette for between $20-30
bucks. I know an LBS that will remove your old one for just $5 too....

Tom

Old June 23rd 04, 04:05 AM
Micheal Artindale

"tcmedara" wrote in message
Micheal Artindale wrote:
My chain was skipping on my middle and high range. I replaced the
chain, and now its reverse.

I have a POS bike... but should replaceing a very stripped chain
cause the complete oppisite?

Is it just the chain working its self in?

Any ideas, besides replace bike--- which will be done in fall, or
spring.

Replace cassette and/or chainrings. Cogs and chainrings will wear to
accomodate a worn chain, particularly if the chain is very worn. Skipping
with a new chain is a typical indication that you waited too long to

replace
the chain and now are probably going to have to replace the offending
cassette or ring.

are all rings replaceable?

Good read he http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html Scroll down to

the
section on "Chain and Sprocket Wear" for the specific details.

Depending on size/quality, you can grab a new cassette for between $20-30
bucks. I know an LBS that will remove your old one for just $5 too....

My bike is 5 yrs old... well past its life expectancy, is it worth that
much? will my new chain wear to match the worn sprockets?

Am i screwed? I dont want to spend more money on a dying bike.

Micheal

Old June 23rd 04, 04:09 AM
John Morgan

tcmedara wrote:

Depending on size/quality, you can grab a new cassette for between $20-30
bucks. I know an LBS that will remove your old one for just $5 too....

Tom

LOL, here we go... another 100 post flame war.

John M
Old June 23rd 04, 04:44 AM
loomer

"Micheal Artindale" wrote in message
My bike is 5 yrs old... well past its life expectancy, is it worth that
much? will my new chain wear to match the worn sprockets?

Am i screwed? I dont want to spend more money on a dying bike.

Micheal

Well you could take this as a learning experience and teach yourself how to
change a cassette... spend a little money..

Eventally your new bike will need to worked on too so might as well start
now.

Old June 24th 04, 03:44 AM
tcmedara

Micheal Artindale wrote:

are all rings replaceable?

I can't think of any that aren't at the moment, but someone may have an
example. Usually you should be able to find replacements.

Good read he http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html Scroll
down to the section on "Chain and Sprocket Wear" for the specific
details.

Depending on size/quality, you can grab a new cassette for between
$20-30 bucks. I know an LBS that will remove your old one for just
$5 too....

My bike is 5 yrs old... well past its life expectancy, is it worth
that much? will my new chain wear to match the worn sprockets?

AFAIK, there's no "life exectency" on a bike. There's some smart folks out
there that could probably explain fatigue and cyclic loading, and how
aluminum and steel are different in a bunch of different ways. Bottom line
for a 5 year old frame -- unless is damaged it's probably okay. Take it to
an LBS if you're not sure. Take a look at rec.bicycles.tech and you'll see
guys asking about parts for bikes 20 and 30 years old. Unless you've got
problems with the frame, a 5 year old bike should still be quite functional.
I have two bikes in my garage right now that are both pushing 10 years old.
Lots of new parts on both, but they're still both working fine.

Am i screwed? I dont want to spend more money on a dying bike.

You're not screwed at all. New rings and cassette are cheaper than a new
bike. If you want a new bike because the old one doesn't serve your needs
then by all means upgrade. If you just think it's "time" for a new one,
then you need to filter out the marketing hype and ask yourself what you
really want.

Good luck!

Tom

Old June 24th 04, 06:46 AM
Chris

"Micheal Artindale" wrote in message
. ..

My bike is 5 yrs old... well past its life expectancy, is it worth that
much? will my new chain wear to match the worn sprockets?

Am i screwed? I dont want to spend more money on a dying bike.

Micheal

First, don't listen to anything tcmedera says about shopping. He's an
idiot.

That said, the "bike" is almost certainly okay after 5 years, but much of
the drivetrain is probably kicked. It is very possible that you can't get
replacement chainrings (the ones on the crank) if you're bike is as cheap as
you make it seem. If it's from a toy store or something you might be
screwed, but anything from a bike shop can be refitted/upgraded. In the
rear, your cassette (the group of gears on the back wheel) is probably worn,
and your chain was certainly trashed. If you wait too long to dump an old
chain you'll wear the cassette in such a way that a new chain doesn't quite
fit - that seems to be the source of your skipping problem.

If it's been 5 years and you ride a lot, get a nice bike man. Move up from
"guy on bike" to "cyclist." It feels good. If you take riding real
serious, start researching individual parts and after a few months to a year
(it takes that long) you'll know exactly what you want and can have it
built. If you want a bike for less than $1000 US, however, hang out at a
couple of bike shops until you feel comfortable in one, then start shopping
there. In my experience the best bang-for-the-buck bikes are Marin and
Specialized, the worst is Trek. By far.

I'm a bit of drivetrain tuning away from having the bike I've wanted for
about a year and a half, and it feels good. You should know this feeling

Chris

Old June 25th 04, 01:57 AM
tcmedara

Chris wrote:
"Micheal Artindale" wrote in message
. ..

My bike is 5 yrs old... well past its life expectancy, is it worth
that much? will my new chain wear to match the worn sprockets?

Am i screwed? I dont want to spend more money on a dying bike.

Micheal

First, don't listen to anything tcmedera says about shopping. He's an
idiot.

And WTF are you? If you've got a problem with something I've written, then
spell it out rather than just spout insult. Here's how.....

You call me an idiot then go on to repeat the same advice I gave him on the
age of his bike and the impact of a worn chain on the rest of the
drivetrain. Makes you look stupid, dumbass, not me.

You then imply he's just a "guy on a bike" and not a real "cyclist" -- let
me guess, you're a recent roadie convert? Mebbe you should hook up with
Danny VO2 and spout nonsense to each other. You give the man bike advice
when you don't have a clue how much he's willing to spend, where he plans to
ride, or what he wants from his bike. If the only thing wrong with the
man's bike is a worn drivetrain, then maybe his POS is all he needs to be a
real "cyclist."

Main Entry: cy·clist
Pronunciation: 'sI-k(&-)l&st
Function: noun
: one who rides a cycle

HTH

Tom

Old June 25th 04, 02:39 AM
Chris

"tcmedara" wrote in message
Chris wrote:

First, don't listen to anything tcmedera says about shopping. He's an
idiot.

And WTF are you? If you've got a problem with something I've written,

then
spell it out rather than just spout insult. Here's how.....

I know how. I told you how much of an idiot you were when you were bitching
about a bike shop charging you for service. Pay more attention, or Google
before you dig yourself a deeper hole.

You call me an idiot then go on to repeat the same advice I gave him on

the
age of his bike and the impact of a worn chain on the rest of the
drivetrain. Makes you look stupid, dumbass, not me.

Not quite. You also spouted marketing nonsense about aluminum vs. steel,
threw out a huge chunk of wisdom with "unless is damaged it's probably
okay," failed to address that he may not be able to find direct replacement
chainrings if his bike is low-end enough, and finished by advising a guy who
says "I dont want to spend more money on a dying bike" to go get rings and a
cassette.

You then imply he's just a "guy on a bike" and not a real "cyclist" -- let
me guess, you're a recent roadie convert?

Nope. I'm no racer, I'm no fitness freak, and the closest I've ever had/do
have to road bikes are a 40-year-old 27" British beater and a Cross-Check I
just finished. Anybody with $100 can be a guy on a bike - "cyclists" are
those that really understand the skills, knowledge, and understanding
required to maintain, operate, and discuss bikes and bicycling with others.
The OP is obviously new, underinformed, and riding a junk bike - that's not
a cyclist. Just like "musician," "artist," "father," etc., the word carries
more weight than a dictionary can impart. Playing a guitar does not make
you a musician. Putting paint to a canvas does not make you an artist.
Creating a child does not make you a father. Owning a bike does not make
you a cyclist.

Mebbe you should hook up with
Danny VO2 and spout nonsense to each other. You give the man bike advice
when you don't have a clue how much he's willing to spend,

He didn't offer that information, and I included suggestions ranging thusly:
replace individual parts, get a low-end bike from a real bike shop, build
exactly what you want. As those prices range from $20 for a cheap cassette
to $thousands for a custom build, I say I covered his price range no matter
what it was/is.

where he plans to
ride, or what he wants from his bike.

I gave him the best advice - find a good LBS he's comfortable with and talk
to them. You, not understanding how to function in the bike shop,
understandably missed this.

If the only thing wrong with the
man's bike is a worn drivetrain, then maybe his POS is all he needs to be

real "cyclist."

All of us at alt.m-b have a crappy bike around. Not everyone with a crappy
bike has a nice bike lying around. Understand that difference.

Tom

Chris

Chain keeps falling off on Gary Fisher Cake 2 DLX Greg Tokarski Mountain Biking 5 May 27th 04 09:53 PM
Cake Chain Crunch Cliff Holloway Mountain Biking 22 April 15th 04 07:05 AM
What's the best chain cleaner & degreaser? [email protected] Mountain Biking 0 April 8th 04 06:05 PM
chain skipping phil Mountain Biking 7 February 26th 04 03:41 AM
Chain and pin Giovanni Mountain Biking 3 December 4th 03 10:53 PM