Indoor Trainer

Old December 27th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
tonyalt3

Default Indoor Trainer

What is the main difference b/t a Mag and a Fluid trainer? It looks
as though the fluid is more $$, is it worth the extra?
Also, is Blackburn a respectable brand? I know CycleOps is, what
others are?
Old December 28th 07, 07:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Mags were reputed to be much noisier than fluids. You'll need to pre-
test to know if that is still true. Even in winter, the world is
probably saturated with trainers, maybe not with the latest
electronics and reasons to boost prices from $100 to $300, though. So,
if you care about $, find a piece of basement ware. When I looked
there in DC, I had my choice of 4 in a week, with prices from $20-$50.
As with most such stuff: too boring to have been used much by the
sellers.

For all we know, there may be just a few mfgs, which customize them
with different decals for different vendors.

Old December 30th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole

tonyalt3 wrote:
What is the main difference b/t a Mag and a Fluid trainer? It looks
as though the fluid is more $$, is it worth the extra?
Also, is Blackburn a respectable brand? I know CycleOps is, what
others are?

I have a Blackburn, it works fine, wasn't very expensive and the company
is very good about support. I don't know why anyone would claim mag
units to be noisier than fluid, the resistance unit has no contact
points except tire to roller. The working mechanism is only an aluminum
disk spinning between stationary magnets, generating eddy current drag.
Very simple, very reliable and will never leak.
Old January 1st 08, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
Peter Cole wrote:

tonyalt3 wrote:
What is the main difference b/t a Mag and a Fluid trainer? It looks
as though the fluid is more $$, is it worth the extra?
Also, is Blackburn a respectable brand? I know CycleOps is, what
others are?

I have a Blackburn, it works fine, wasn't very expensive and the company
is very good about support. I don't know why anyone would claim mag
units to be noisier than fluid, the resistance unit has no contact
points except tire to roller. The working mechanism is only an aluminum
disk spinning between stationary magnets, generating eddy current drag.
Very simple, very reliable and will never leak.

Perhaps the fluid dash pot absorbs sound and mechanical vibration.
Just guessing, having used neither. Other possibilities include
* trainer design: bearings, drive train, feet, ...
* location acoustics: walls, floors, ceiling, ...
* floor to trainer coupling.

--
Michael Press

Indoor Trainer??? Gags Australia 2 May 14th 06 10:34 PM
Looking for indoor trainer hgoh Australia 7 September 14th 05 04:02 AM
New indoor trainer... GPLama Australia 4 May 15th 05 03:13 PM
1 Up USA indoor trainer Guy Marketplace 1 February 19th 05 03:50 AM
Which indoor trainer Marcus I. Valdes Techniques 7 August 12th 04 10:14 PM