Trainers

Old January 10th 16, 03:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
mark cleary

Default Trainers

I have been riding a cycleops wind trainer for years and boring but safer
than ice. IT works fine and give good work out. I seem to go along at about
21-22 mph but have no idea of the watts. Frankly it is a great work out and
I feel that for the given time a better cardio workout than riding outside
unless I am going to do a time trial. I am thinking of upgrading to the Kurt
Kinetic FLuid they get great reviews and are a bit more quiet. I don't mind
the noise but anyone here have experience with comparisons? I can read them
on the net but would be nice to hear from someone in the newsgroup.

Deacon Mark Cleary
Epiphany Roman Catholic Church

Old January 10th 16, 10:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 08:18:11 -0600, mark cleary
wrote:
I have been riding a cycleops wind trainer for years and boring but
safer than ice. IT works fine and give good work out. I seem to go
along at about 21-22 mph but have no idea of the watts. Frankly it is
a great work out and I feel that for the given time a better cardio
workout than riding outside unless I am going to do a time trial. I am
thinking of upgrading to the Kurt Kinetic FLuid they get great reviews
and are a bit more quiet. I don't mind the noise but anyone here have
experience with comparisons? I can read them on the net but would be
nice to hear from someone in the newsgroup.

My wife bought one of those a few years ago. I had had a CycleOps fluid
which was replaced under warranty at least once of not twide because the
impeller failed. Maybe it was that the replacement eventually failed.
I think Kurt took over that product line so I would advise doing some
searching around to see about long-term durability. Whatever the
problem with the cycleOps ones was, maybe it's been solved.

The nice thing about the Kurt is that the unit is very stable and the
cradle in which the bike sits rocks slightly. With the CycleOps, which
was rigid, I found that I cracked two frames where the seatstay was
brazed onto the seat cluster. With the Kurt that ought to not be a
problem because the trainer is designed to absorb some of those forces.
The Kurt is very quiet and gives a good workout- it is quieter than I
remember my CycleOps being.

I also have a set of rollers which add the issue of dynamic balance and
as such are a little less boring- you can fall off the rollers if you
stop paying attention! Theres a section of an Eddy Merckx video which
shows him on rollers, spinning away at high RPM and so much smoother
than I will ever be. That's one of the things that riding rollers does-
makes you pedal stroke smooth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BcHekNAfOo
Old January 10th 16, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:
[...]

But even if you fall off, you don't go far. I've ridden off my rollers many times while watching races. I get carried away and turn with the pack. Ooops. Now I just listen to music -- no TV. I only use my el-cheapo mag trainer when recovering from broken legs because I can push with one leg and put the other one lightly on the opposite pedal. This might be relevant to Mark during his rehab -- there is also less opportunity for a mishap while getting on and off a trainer versus rollers.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old January 11th 16, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

wrote:
[...]

LOL! I thought I was the only one who did that.
Old January 11th 16, 05:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

Are others able to read books while riding trainers or rollers?

Many years ago I rode rollers in the winter but found it excruciatingly
boring. (I'm not much of a TV guy.) So I got a book rack that hooks on
handlebars, but I was unable to read. I don't know if it was having to
watch the rollers to stay centered, or just the exertion, but I'd find
myself reading the same paragraph over and over.

A friend has given us her wind trainer. I wonder if it will allow
reading.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 12th 16, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/ima...er-cartoon.jpg
Old January 12th 16, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 23:42:58 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Are others able to read books while riding trainers or rollers?

Many years ago I rode rollers in the winter but found it excruciatingly
boring. (I'm not much of a TV guy.) So I got a book rack that hooks on
handlebars, but I was unable to read. I don't know if it was having to
watch the rollers to stay centered, or just the exertion, but I'd find
myself reading the same paragraph over and over.

A friend has given us her wind trainer. I wonder if it will allow
reading.

When I had rollers, I put reading matter into the map holder on my
handlebar bag. I could read just fine, but one page doesn't occupy
much of a session.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

TRAINERS AND MORE TRAINERS [email protected] Marketplace 0 January 26th 05 05:14 PM
trainers RICHARD A KON General 4 November 18th 04 09:10 PM
Mag Trainers spiz Australia 2 November 9th 04 12:53 PM
Mag Trainers spiz Australia 1 November 8th 04 01:04 AM
Trainers -- 1Up USA HL Techniques 6 October 19th 04 11:27 PM