Armstrong Acromegaly?

Old August 9th 04, 09:06 PM
Kenneth

Default Armstrong Acromegaly?

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc

That jaw line is odd. It almost doesn't look like him.

Old August 9th 04, 09:16 PM
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS

Kenneth wrote:

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc

That jaw line is odd. It almost doesn't look like him.

There's a lot more to acromegaly than a prominent chin.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Old August 9th 04, 09:31 PM
B. Lafferty

"Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS" wrote in message
Kenneth wrote:

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc

That jaw line is odd. It almost doesn't look like him.

There's a lot more to acromegaly than a prominent chin.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Brooklyn, NY
718-258-5001

True, but compare with:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...f4/Lance.shtml
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...celuke21.shtml

from 2000. Maybe it's the camera angle, but it's a very strange looking
photo from this year.

Old August 9th 04, 09:36 PM
Andy Coggan

Kenneth wrote:

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc

That jaw line is odd. It almost doesn't look like him.

There's a lot more to acromegaly than a prominent chin.

And also little reason to suspect any endurance athlete of growth hormone
abuse, since it would do nothing to help their performance.

Andy Coggan

Old August 9th 04, 09:57 PM
B. Lafferty

ink.net...

Kenneth wrote:

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc

That jaw line is odd. It almost doesn't look like him.

There's a lot more to acromegaly than a prominent chin.

And also little reason to suspect any endurance athlete of growth hormone
abuse, since it would do nothing to help their performance.

Andy Coggan

Indeed. Manzano is just one of the disgruntled 5% who dope and then lie and
smear all the other clean riders. From CyclingNews:
Spanish ex-rofessional Jesus Manzano has continued to blow the whistle on
the alleged doping practices within his former team, Kelme. In the second
part of an in depth interview with Spanish sports newspaper AS, Manzano has
gone into more detail about the use of illegal substances such as
erythropoetin (EPO) and human growth hormone (HGH), with more to come.

Manzano said that HGH could be taken during training and during competition,
because it is not able to be detected in drug controls. He also said that it
is commonly taken with insulin in order to maximise its effect. But
sometimes, as with the blood transfusions that he described previously, the
riders experienced negative reactions to the drug.

Old August 9th 04, 09:59 PM
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS

Kenneth wrote:

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc

That jaw line is odd. It almost doesn't look like him.

There's a lot more to acromegaly than a prominent chin.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Brooklyn, NY
718-258-5001

True, but compare with:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...f4/Lance.shtml
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...celuke21.shtml

from 2000. Maybe it's the camera angle, but it's a very strange looking
photo from this year.

It has more to do with his facial expression and how in the new photo
his upper lip is tensed (shortened) toward his nose, and his upper lip
is raised. His lower jaw is also protruded.
I'll grant that there isn't enough in the photo to really go by one way
or the other. The changes in physiognomy in acromegaly are pretty
characteristic (think Ted Cassidy, who played Lurch in the Addams Family).

The suggestion of acromegally is certainly not absurd if you think
cyclists are taking HGH for extended periods. This is certainly not
risk-free either--I'm way past my pharmo, but growth hormone is
definitely diabetogenic.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Old August 9th 04, 10:04 PM
B. Lafferty

Setting aside any reference to a specific cyclist, I recall two or three
years ago there were reports (CyclingNews perhaps) about riders using HGH
and having dental and foot surgery as a result.

Old August 9th 04, 10:05 PM
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS

Kenneth wrote:

http://sports.yahoo.com/sc

That jaw line is odd. It almost doesn't look like him.

There's a lot more to acromegaly than a prominent chin.

And also little reason to suspect any endurance athlete of growth hormone
abuse, since it would do nothing to help their performance.

Andy Coggan

My memory may be faulty again. But wasn't Zootemelk once accused of
taking HGH, and his soigneur said he was given the drug because he was
losing weight too rapidly in the Tour?

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS
http://www.dentaltwins.com
Old August 9th 04, 10:07 PM
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS

B. Lafferty wrote:

Setting aside any reference to a specific cyclist, I recall two or three
years ago there were reports (CyclingNews perhaps) about riders using HGH
and having dental and foot surgery as a result.

Hmm. I'm not sure what the dental problem would be. I believe HGH
does act as a glucocorticoid, and could interfere with inflammation and
healing processes in the mouth. And diebetics tend to have aggressive
periodontal disease, but this would be a very late effect--years later.

Steve

Old August 9th 04, 10:16 PM
B. Lafferty

B. Lafferty wrote:

Setting aside any reference to a specific cyclist, I recall two or three
years ago there were reports (CyclingNews perhaps) about riders using

HGH
and having dental and foot surgery as a result.

Hmm. I'm not sure what the dental problem would be. I believe HGH
does act as a glucocorticoid, and could interfere with inflammation and
healing processes in the mouth. And diebetics tend to have aggressive
periodontal disease, but this would be a very late effect--years later.

Steve

My understanding is that causes certain bones to start growing again
resulting in elongation of the jaw, hands and feet. I would assume that
growth in the jaw would affect a person's bite and could lead to other
dental problems, no? It would be a pain to have to keep getting bigger
shoes, I guess.