Mountain bikers are a scourge wherever they are found

Old June 21st 14, 07:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default Mountain bikers are a scourge wherever they are found

"John B." wrote in message ...
[...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

I am not testing any hypothesis. I am simply telling you what
I KNOW to be facts.

[...]

Actually, I believe it is better called "bigotry", "the intolerance

and prejudice of a bigot".

Bigot - "a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions

differing from his own"

**** you too Asshole!

Post content or get lost. What an Asshole!

Now go **** yourself and quit bothering the honorable members of this noble newsgroup.

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injure themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain biking!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great

Old June 23rd 14, 04:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]

You are actually Ed.* Your hypothesis is "mountain biking is
extremely dangerous" so you trawl the web for reports of accidents and
injuries.* As millions of people ride, every day, unsurprisingly you find
reports of such events.*

You then conclude, erroneously, that you've found support for your

position.

So, yes, you are testing a hypothesis and if you understood

statistics and probability to even a school level you would realise that what
you've actually done is disproven your hypothesis.* If mountainbiking were
really dangerous, as you contend, then there would be thousands of incidents
every day.

There does not need to be thousands of accidents every day in
order for mountain biking to be considered dangerous. There only needs to be a
few.

No, Ed, there need to be a lot. As there are millions of rides happening per day if Mountainbiking were really dangerous there would be many thousands of incidents ... as there are for cars.

If 'a few' is the only test then, by your definition, hiking is also dangerous because the report I provided (Lake District Mountain Rescue, 2013) showed three fatalities in one year in one relatively small location.

Hiker accidents are extremely rare in comparison because it is safe.

Look at the real stats Ed. Hiking is safer, yes, but it is not absolutely safe ... nothing is. Both hiking and mountainbiking are in a natural, untrammeled environment and therefore subject to very similar risks.

Further, the biker accidents that do occur are normally quite serious requiring
rescue services and emergency rooms. You simply do not know what you are
blathering about.

At least I bother to read around the topic and find data ... you just think that your opinions count as fact. I reiterate, the demonstrated KSI figures show that mountainbiking is pretty safe ... not absolutely, certainly, but the risks are low.

I understand what I am doing perfectly with getting moronic
lectures from you about the scientific method.

Ed, you're either uneducated as regards statistics or, if you aren't, then you are fundamentally dishonest. If there are 3.5 million rides per day then even a risk of 0.01% would result in 3,500 serious injuries. All you can produce is a tiny handful ... so we can safely conclude, as have all the medical bodies, that mountainbiking is relatively safe.

I am pointing out some
generalized conditions which prevail with regard to mountain biking, which the
mountain biking community itself tends to gloss over (expect by the few freaks
who are really into it). Innocent people go biking on trails thinking it is safe
and it is not safe at all. You blather does nothing to refute what I am
saying.

No, you're not pointing out anything of the kind. You're trawling the internet or setting up a Google Feed to show you whenever a mountainbiking accident or fatality occurs. I'm not denying they occur but, set against the number of rides taking place, they are tiny ... hence validating the relative safety of the activity.

I dare you ... set the same search/filter for hiking and see what you get. I predict you will find even more serious injuries and fatalities for hiking ... as the Lake District Mountain Rescue contains ... not because hiking is more dangerous but because there are more hikers.

I don't care what is happening in your little corner of dowdy

old England. You apparently don't care what is happening in the rest

of the

world.

You're the one who said he only knew about local trails.* I'm

the one for collecting worldwide data.

*

You are posting some meaningless numbers which no one is ever
going to connect with. I am posting a few stories (among hundreds) from all over
the world which bring home how dangerous biking on trails is.despite all the
propaganda to the contrary.

If it's so dangerous Ed then why CAN'T you find any numbers to back you up as to the relative risk ? Out of context your stories are completely worthless.
Old June 25th 14, 05:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...
[...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

Hiker accidents are extremely rare in comparison because it is safe.

Look at the real stats Ed. Hiking is safer, yes, but it is not absolutely safe ... nothing is. Both hiking and mountainbiking are in a natural, untrammeled environment and therefore subject to very similar risks.

The risks are not similar at all. Riding a bike on a trail designed for walking is a circus act, chock full of risks at every turn.

Further, the biker accidents that do occur are normally quite serious requiring
rescue services and emergency rooms. You simply do not know what you are
blathering about.

At least I bother to read around the topic and find data ... you just think that your opinions count as fact. I reiterate, the demonstrated KSI figures show that mountainbiking is pretty safe ... not absolutely, certainly, but the risks are low.

The risks are high, especially on alpine trails. Even very experienced riders suffer horrible accidents, but newbies are most at risk.

I understand what I am doing perfectly without getting moronic
lectures from you about the scientific method.

Ed, you're either uneducated as regards statistics or, if you aren't, then you are fundamentally dishonest. If there are 3.5 million rides per day then even a risk of 0.01% would result in 3,500 serious injuries. All you can produce is a tiny handful ... so we can safely conclude, as have all the medical bodies, that mountainbiking is relatively safe.

Your statistics don’t interest me since we do not know what is being measured. A few stories explain the situation better than any of your meaningless numbers (data). Statistics (like polls) lie all the time about everything, I thought every educated person knew that. Their whole purpose is to mislead. It is why global warming may or may not be true even though it is couched in hard science. No one knows for certain what is being measured.

[...]

That is your job, I am sure you will find that hiking is as safe as walking around the block compared to biking on a trail - which is as dangerous (and as stupid) as going over Niagara Falls in a barrel.
[...]

You are posting some meaningless numbers which no one is ever
going to connect with. I am posting a few stories (among hundreds) from all over
the world which bring home how dangerous biking on trails is.despite all the
propaganda to the contrary.

If it's so dangerous Ed then why CAN'T you find any numbers to back you up as to the relative risk ? Out of context your stories are completely worthless.

Media reports are better than any numbers. The facts are that hiking is safe and biking on trails is not safe.

Old June 27th 14, 02:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]

Hiker accidents are extremely rare in comparison because it is safe.

Look at the real stats Ed. Hiking is safer, yes, but it is

not absolutely safe ... nothing is. Both hiking and mountainbiking are in
a natural, untrammeled environment and therefore subject to very similar
risks.

The risks are not similar at all. Riding a bike on a trail
designed for walking is a circus act, chock full of risks at every
turn.

So, if that is the case, why do the 3.5million rides EVERY DAY result in so few fatalities and serious injuries ? You simply either don't understand probability or you are dishonest ...

Further, the biker accidents that do occur are normally quite serious

requiring

rescue services and emergency rooms. You simply do not know what you

are

blathering about.

At least I bother to read around the topic and find data ... you

just think that your opinions count as fact. I reiterate, the demonstrated
KSI figures show that mountainbiking is pretty safe ... not absolutely,
certainly, but the risks are low.

The risks are high, especially on alpine trails. Even very
experienced riders suffer horrible accidents, but newbies are most at risk.

I'm inured to this kind of blather now. You have never produced one iota of evidence to back this up. It's your biased opinion, nothing more, and it's incorrect.

I understand what I am doing perfectly without getting moronic

lectures from you about the scientific method.

Ed, you're either uneducated as regards statistics or, if you

aren't, then you are fundamentally dishonest. If there are 3.5 million
rides per day then even a risk of 0.01% would result in 3,500 serious
injuries. All you can produce is a tiny handful ... so we can safely
conclude, as have all the medical bodies, that mountainbiking is relatively
safe.

Your statistics don't interest me since we do not know what is
being measured. A few stories explain the situation better than any of your
meaningless numbers (data).

The statistics don't interest you because they disprove what you would like to state as fact. As a result, you'd prefer to highlight a tiny handful of reported incidents and pretend that they are somehow indicative of a wider malaise. We are measuring, and you are reporting, injuries and fatalities ... as such, whilst the precise metrics (fatalities per million miles, serious injuries per thousand exposures etc) may vary they allow us to, quite sensibly, compare different activities. And, on doing so, mountainbiking comes up as relatively safe; safer than driving, skiing, rugby, american football etc etc. In this case, it's not the statistics that are trying to lie ... it's you !

[...]

Too asinine to even merit a comment. Dishonest or scientifically stupid; which is it Ed ?

You are posting some meaningless numbers which no one is ever

going to connect with. I am posting a few stories (among hundreds)

from all over

the world which bring home how dangerous biking on trails is.despite

all the

propaganda to the contrary.

If it's so dangerous Ed then why CAN'T you find any numbers to

back you up as to the relative risk ? Out of context your stories are
completely worthless.

Media reports are better than any numbers. The facts are that
hiking is safe and biking on trails is not safe.

Very funny. Your logic seems to, as ever, revert to a statement of what you were originally attempting to prove. A wonderful demonstration of circular logic.

Still, at least it serves to allow me to prove that your logic is as in error as your premises. I think your premises stand comprehensively disproved..
Old July 11th 14, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

Hiker accidents are extremely rare in comparison because it is safe.

Look at the real stats Ed. Hiking is safer, yes, but it is

not absolutely safe ... nothing is. Both hiking and mountainbiking are in
a natural, untrammeled environment and therefore subject to very similar
risks.

The risks are not similar at all. Riding a bike on a trail
designed for walking is a circus act, chock full of risks at every
turn.

So, if that is the case, why do the 3.5million rides EVERY DAY result in so few fatalities and serious injuries ? You simply either don't understand probability or you are dishonest ...

I will shortly be posting more reports of serious accidents and deaths for you to contemplate.

Further, the biker accidents that do occur are normally quite serious

requiring

rescue services and emergency rooms. You simply do not know what you

are

blathering about.

At least I bother to read around the topic and find data ... you

just think that your opinions count as fact. I reiterate, the demonstrated
KSI figures show that mountainbiking is pretty safe ... not absolutely,
certainly, but the risks are low.

The risks are high, especially on alpine trails. Even very
experienced riders suffer horrible accidents, but newbies are most at risk.

I'm inured to this kind of blather now. You have never produced one iota of evidence to back this up. It's your biased opinion, nothing more, and it's incorrect.

Read the reports I am posting. That is the “iota” of evidence.

[...]

The reports and evidence of the dangers of biking on trails are pouring in from all directions. The only one who is blind, deaf and dumb are you and your cohorts.
[...]

That is your job, I am sure you will find that hiking is as
safe as walking around the block compared to biking on a trail - which is as
dangerous (and as stupid) as going over Niagara Falls in a barrel.

Too asinine to even merit a comment. Dishonest or scientifically stupid; which is it Ed ?

You are the Asshole who thinks it is cool to engage in extreme sports, not me!
[...]

Media reports are better than any numbers. The facts are that
hiking is safe and biking on trails is not safe.

Very funny. Your logic seems to, as ever, revert to a statement of what you were originally attempting to prove. A wonderful demonstration of circular logic.

Still, at least it serves to allow me to prove that your logic is as in error as your premises. I think your premises stand comprehensively disproved.

Unlike you, I cannot get around the facts. Hiking is safe, biking on trails on is not safe. That is what the reporting from the field shows without any doubt at all.

Old July 11th 14, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message news
Blackblade considered Fri, 27 Jun 2014
06:47:09 -0700 (PDT) the perfect time to write:
[...]

Edward Dolan wrote:

Your statistics don't interest me since we do not know what is
being measured. A few stories explain the situation better than any of your
meaningless numbers (data).

The statistics don't interest you because they disprove what you would like to state as fact. As a result, you'd prefer to highlight a tiny handful of reported incidents and pretend that they are somehow indicative of a wider malaise. We are measuring, and you are reporting, injuries and fatalities ... as such, whilst the precise metrics (fatalities per million miles, serious injuries per thousand exposures etc) may vary they allow us to, quite sensibly, compare different activities. And, on doing so, mountainbiking comes up as relatively safe; safer than driving, skiing, rugby, american football etc etc. In this case, it's not the statistics that are trying to lie ... it's you !

If anything, the statistics have a tendency to overstate the danger of

simple trail riding, as it generally gets lumped together as "MTB"
along with competitive downhill racing and similar extreme sport
cycling.

It's a bit like trying to judge hiking based on statistics which

include mountaineering and fell running.

Running on trails is strictly for the insane. Climbing is only slight less insane. But bike riding on trails, at least here in the US, is a sport more than it is anything else. Blackblade approves of extreme sports which is why is I consider him such an idiot. But even so, I do not want any bikes on hiking trails since it is conflict of both means and purpose. Deaths of course in any sport are somewhat rare, but serious accidents are not rare at all. Bike riding on trails is rife with serious accidents.

Old July 16th 14, 01:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Blackblade[_2_]

The risks are not similar at all. Riding a bike on a trail

designed for walking is a circus act, chock full of risks at every

turn.

So, if that is the case, why do the 3.5million rides EVERY DAY

result in so few fatalities and serious injuries ? You simply either don't
understand probability or you are dishonest ...

I will shortly be posting more reports of serious accidents
and deaths for you to contemplate.

You would have to post a very large number indeed when you are comparing to so many rides per day. As I said, you are either dishonest or don't understand probability ...

At least I bother to read around the topic and find data ...

you

just think that your opinions count as fact. I reiterate, the

demonstrated

KSI figures show that mountainbiking is pretty safe ... not

absolutely,

certainly, but the risks are low.

The risks are high, especially on alpine trails. Even very

experienced riders suffer horrible accidents, but newbies are most at

risk.

I'm inured to this kind of blather now. You have never

produced one iota of evidence to back this up. It's your biased opinion,
nothing more, and it's incorrect.

Read the reports I am posting. That is the "iota" of
evidence.

No, Ed, do stop trying to move the goalposts. Your proposition is that mountainbiking is very dangerous. Mine is that the KSI stats suggest otherwise. Simply posting reports of accidents does nothing to provide any evidence to justify your position.

I could just as easily post the Lake District Mountain Rescue report, with three hiker fatalities just last year !

[...]

Your pitiful handful of posts counts as 'pouring in' ? I think not.

That is your job, I am sure you will find that hiking is as

safe as walking around the block compared to biking on a trail - which

is as

dangerous (and as stupid) as going over Niagara Falls in a

barrel.

Too asinine to even merit a comment. Dishonest or

scientifically stupid; which is it Ed ?

You are the Asshole who thinks it is cool to engage in extreme
sports, not me!

I do. How is it germane to your point ?

You really want to contend that mountainbiking is as dangerous as going over Niagra Falls in a barrel ? ! :-)

Media reports are better than any numbers. The facts are that

hiking is safe and biking on trails is not safe.

Very funny. Your logic seems to, as ever, revert to a

statement of what you were originally attempting to prove. A wonderful
demonstration of circular logic.

Still, at least it serves to allow me to prove that your logic

is as in error as your premises. I think your premises stand
comprehensively disproved.

Unlike you, I cannot get around the facts. Hiking is safe,
biking on trails on is not safe. That is what the reporting from the field shows
without any doubt at all.

No, Ed, it just doesn't. If it were you wouldn't be finding a handful of reports now and then ... there would be a daily flood of thousands.

In the US, in 2010, 33 people died as a result of being bitten by dogs ... even a rare occurrence will appear if enough people are exposed.

Old July 16th 14, 04:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Edward Dolan wrote:

I will shortly be posting more reports of serious accidents
and deaths for you to contemplate.

You would have to post a very large number indeed when you are comparing to so many rides per day. As I said, you are either dishonest or don't understand probability ...

There is nothing to understand about reading a simple report of a stupid accident that should never have happened if everyone had even a modicum of common sense.
[...]

Read the reports I am posting. That is the "iota" of
evidence.

No, Ed, do stop trying to move the goalposts. Your proposition is that mountainbiking is very dangerous. Mine is that the KSI stats suggest otherwise. Simply posting reports of accidents does nothing to provide any evidence to justify your position.

I could just as easily post the Lake District Mountain Rescue report, with three hiker fatalities just last year !

You could not post many such reports whereas I could post many thousands of such reports. That is the difference!
[...]

The reports and evidence of the dangers of biking on trails
are pouring in from all directions. The only one who is blind, deaf and dumb are
you and your cohorts.

Your pitiful handful of posts counts as 'pouring in' ? I think not.

Way too many to ignore.
[...]

You really want to contend that mountainbiking is as dangerous as going over Niagra [Niagara] Falls in a barrel ? ! :-)

It is just as stupid ... but you are immune to intelligence. Your brain has been rattled by too many extreme sports.
[...]

Unlike you, I cannot get around the facts. Hiking is safe,
biking on trails on is not safe. That is what the reporting from the field shows
without any doubt at all.

No, Ed, it just doesn't. If it were you wouldn't be finding a handful of reports now and then ... there would be a daily flood of thousands.

There are a monthly flood of thousands. I have better things to do than spend my time posting reports of accidents for idiots like you. Find your own reports of mountain biking accidents.