Free mount a Big One?

Old December 8th 03, 07:36 PM
elares

Default Free mount a Big One?

Still a newby, I've only managed to free mount my 20" a dozen times or
more. Now I've acquired a Coker and can't conceive a free mount there.
Any advise to speed the epiphany?
Thanks very much in advance. Great to have found this group!
So sorry if this has been asked and answered many times. Point me to an
URL if available and I'll check it out.

R.

--
elares
elares's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5012

Old December 8th 03, 07:47 PM
one wheeled stallion

I don't own a Coker myself, but I've heard they're for intermediate
riders only. Quite hard to ride I think and very dangerous if you don't
(even if you do, I guess too) know how to use it properly!

--
one wheeled stallion - Getting There! :-)

OWS
one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

Old December 8th 03, 08:03 PM
onefiftyfour

I recommend watching 'these videos'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/cokertricksters) .

Can you ride the coker with an assisted mount? (For example, mounting
while grabbing a car or lightpost) If not, I would start there before
the free-mount.

Goodluck and keep with it.

-Eric

--
onefiftyfour - Eric
onefiftyfour's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3495

Old December 8th 03, 08:07 PM
onefiftyfour

and 'this thread' (http://tinyurl.com/yaib) might help.

-eric

Old December 8th 03, 08:31 PM
elares

Thanks for the tips so far. I'll check out the links.
Yes, I can ride it w/ assisted mount. Quite a rush. My goal is to ride
it to work (15miles) in the spring.

Old December 8th 03, 08:38 PM
onewheelwizzard

What I do with the Coker, and I've gotten to be quite good at
freemounting it, is I rotate the wheel until the back crank is just
below horizontal and the front crank is just above horizontal. Then I
put the seat in, step on the back crank, *here's the important part*
grab the wheel to stop it from moving, bring my left foot to the front
crank, and start riding. I can freemount without doing this but it
isn't nearly as easy. Actually, on any uni with a short enough seat
post, you can start with the cranks horizontal, grab the wheel, bring
your other foot up, and ride away without a quarter-revolution
backwards. It's the easy way out, but it works.

Oh look, as I type this, the video onefiftyfour referenced downloaded,
and the 9-year old in it did exactly that (only as a running mount). I
haven't tried it running yet. Well, I hope it proves my point that
grabbing the wheel to immobilize it can help ...

--
onewheelwizzard - Rincewind, Wizzard Inept

What, my name? Well, usually people call me "Get him!" Of course, when
they want to be formal they'll say "Don't let him get away!"
onewheelwizzard's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3955

Old December 8th 03, 08:53 PM
shadowuni

i am the owner of the coker that the afforementioned onewheelwizzard
practices on, and i can tell you that holding the tire is kind of easy,
but it is easier to get used to just putting one foot on, and then
hopping up on it and putting the other foot on. if you do it right the
wheel shouldnt move, plus you can use the now free hand to stabilize
yourself. cokering is fun, and its funny to hear little kids say, "im
going to put one of those on my bike". thats when i laugh at them.

--
shadowuni - Level 4.5 Unicyclist

"No one is taller than the last man standing"
shadowuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4806

Old December 8th 03, 08:56 PM
nick

There are quite a few ways I can get onto my coker (Im 6.1 by the way,
it probably helps to be taller rather than shorter in this case.)

anyways, at first Id do a roll back mount, but I'd grab onto the tire to
help roll it back, it worked out pretty well.

Or a roll back mount, with no tire grabbing.

or a rolling mount, where you put the pedals horizontal (i think thats
where I have them anyways) step onto the forward pedal, push down, hop
on, and ride.

or a jump mount, pedals horrizontal, hold onto the seat, jump on, go.

Suicide mount, same as a jump, just dont hold on.

Im trying kick up mounts, but im pretty afraid of breaking the coker, so
I dont try very hard.

Oh, I guess I can do a side mount too.

In all seriousness, If you have the height for it, Id start jump
mounting it.

--
nick - jerk on one wheel

- nick http://www.extreme.unicyclist.com
nick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/349

Old December 8th 03, 09:35 PM
JonM

I'd say practice freemounting on a normal-sized unicycle first. If you
practice freemounts there, you should be able to get consistently good
within a few hours.

I only had access to a Coker for one weekend (but I did ride something
like 13 miles that weekend), but here's how I was able to freemount
it:

- Address the cycle, placing the dominant foot (right, in my case) on
the appropriate pedal, and the saddle between your legs.

- The pedal should be about 40 degrees below horizontal. If you're
having troubles mounting, tweak this to suit you.

- Make sure the cycle is vertical (straight up and down). This may be
hard if you're short (I'm 5'11", with a 32" inseam).

- With your left leg, push forward and up. Pushing forward will cause
the rear pedal to rise, allowing you to put weight on it.

- Use the momentum you got from pushing forward to step up with your
right foot and quickly place your left on the other pedal.

- Start pedaling. You're going to have to fight the wheel, so unweight
the right pedal and shift your weight to the left.

- Once you're moving, get settled and continue riding. This is the easy
part.

-Jon

--
JonM - My other wheel is in my mouse...
JonM's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1759

Old December 9th 03, 05:35 AM
tomblackwood

JonM wrote:
*I only had access to a Coker for one weekend (but I did ride
something like 13 miles that weekend), but here's how I was able to
freemount it:*

I was fortunate to witness how quickly JonM picked up the freemount on
the above mentioned weekend. I've probably got 350 or so miles on mine,
and I still struggle with a standing or roll-back freemount.

What works best for me is a two-step rolling mount. I start with my
dominant right side crank horizontal and pointing at (closer to) me. I
put my left foot forward, grab the front of the seat, then take two
steps...right foot, left foot....to gain a little speed. My left foot
hitting corresponds with the right crank being just past bottom and on
it's way up to horizonal again. I push off harder with my left foot,
bring my right up onto the rising right pedal, and use my momentum to
carry me immediately into pedaling.

Ain't elegant, but I can hit it with 80%+ success now.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....