Registration Plates

Old August 12th 12, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Mondeo-Man-Yes

Default Registration Plates

On 12/08/2012 19:05, S wrote:
On 12 Aug, 12:11, Judith wrote:
On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 10:27:57 GMT, (Cassandra)
wrote:

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 09:19:34 +0100, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=AEi=A9ardo?=
wrote:

On 11/08/2012 22:14, Cassandra wrote:
On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 13:28:18 +0100, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

You know, it's odd but I have a vague memory of several people loudly
shouting that it is impossible to affix a registration plate to a
bicycle and that no one should attempt to do so or even to request that
it should be made a legal requirement for bicycles to be registered.
Apparently it is a technical problem of unsurmountable complexity.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...n_1825451b.jpg

Or is it?

I don't see the Olympians complaining about it, or suggesting that it's
going to kill them.

All you need to do now is register several million bicycles and track
changes of ownership . Something which the DVLA manage at minimal
expense and almost error free

Considering the volumes they deal with they don't do too badly.

Take every motor vehicle. Throw away their existing number plate. Have
them register again from scratch. No I can't see that costing anything
in time and money.

Its amazing how motorists who are obsessed with cyclists paying road
tax are willing to **** 100s of millions away in pointless
registration schemes.

Rubbish

Any training, testing, licensing, and insurance should all be self-financing by
the cyclists themselves.

At 0 CO2 emission the VED would be 0, so the cost of administration
would have to be paid by someone else.

Well, given their frequent BO problem from their three minute ride from
home to the station, then their second three minute ride from the
station to work, plus the need to noisily scoff bananas to replace all
the energy they've used as they've postured their way to work whilst
delaying as many motorists as possible on the way, they should be
charged double. Come to think of it, given their farting capacity and
their hot air expenditure in making sure that they're way up there in
the smugness stakes, it should be trebled.

--
OUT OF MY WAY you plebs!
Old August 12th 12, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
®i©ardo

On 12/08/2012 19:08, Cassandra wrote:

wrote:

You know, it's odd but I have a vague memory of several people loudly
shouting that it is impossible to affix a registration plate to a
bicycle and that no one should attempt to do so or even to request that
it should be made a legal requirement for bicycles to be registered.
Apparently it is a technical problem of unsurmountable complexity.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...n_1825451b.jpg

Or is it?

I don't see the Olympians complaining about it, or suggesting that it's
going to kill them.

All you need to do now is register several million bicycles and track
changes of ownership . Something which the DVLA manage at minimal
expense and almost error free

They already manage 33 million motorists without many problems. The
cost is easily met by taxing cyclists for using the roads. We could
call it 'Road Tax'.

They manage vehicles that have been registered since manufacture and
motorists who have already been though a driving test. Tracing several
million bicycles and several million cyclists from scratch would be
very hard to do and a huge waste of money.

Rubbish, if they are charged appropriately for the service like other
road users are forced to do it could be self-financing.

--
Moving things in still pictures

Old August 12th 12, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 19:11:57 +0100, (Steve Firth) wrote:

Cassandra wrote:

All motorists should be retested out of their own pocket every three
years.

Not only do I agree but I have stated this very clearly several times in
the past. It will thin out the morons on the road and hopefully let us
return to a saner age of driving.

And if not for everyone - certainly for those over 65

Old August 12th 12, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

wrote:

[...]

Who said that the satire boom had ended?

Old August 12th 12, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Mondeo-Man-Yes

On 12/08/2012 19:48, Squashme wrote:
On Aug 12, 7:23 pm, "John Benn" wrote:
"S" wrote in message

On 12 Aug, 11:34, "John Benn" wrote:

"Cassandra" wrote in . ..

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 16:52:03 +0100, "John Benn"

wrote:
"Rob" wrote in messagenews

John Benn wrote:
|| "Steve Firth" wrote in message
k...
|| You know, it's odd but I have a vague memory of several people loudly
|| shouting that it is impossible to affix a registration plate to a
|| bicycle and that no one should attempt to do so or even to request
|| that
|| it should be made a legal requirement for bicycles to be registered.
|| Apparently it is a technical problem of unsurmountable complexity.
||http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...n_1825451b.jpg
|| Or is it?
|| I don't see the Olympians complaining about it, or suggesting that
|| it's going to kill them.
|| ================================
|| I've been told that it is totally impossible to fit a registration
|| plate to a bicycle. A physical impossibility.

Nonesense, simply make the tax and insurance disk holder bigger, with
room
to include a reg number. Sorted.

=========================

I agree, I was being sarcastic. Some of the hardened cyclists in the
cycling newsgroups have previously laughed at the practicality of
mounting
registration plate on a bicycle. They are terrified of it becoming a
legal
requirement. There is no reason why a bicycle can't be fitted with an
identifying plate.

It would certainly stop cyclists commiting parking offences,
speeding, or out running the police helicoper.

Although prosecutions of ten year olds for registration offences would
rocket.

Don't be silly. There are plenty of road traffic offences carried out by
cyclists, on and off the pavement. The only reason many of them never getYawn
of pedestrians being hit by cyclists or cars being damaged by cyclists
only
for the cyclist not to stop and go cycling off into the distance?

Actually, only certain members of uk.legal seem to be affected by this
menace. It's never happened to me in my 50 years or any of my
relatives or friends.
===========================

Never happened to me either but I regularly read about these incidents
happening.

It must make you so angry.

Yawn! No, we leave the "anger" bit to you and your ilk!

"How dare they try and treat us like road users when we're so busy doing
our green bit and trying to save the planet by holding up buses and cars
whenever we can."

--
OUT OF MY WAY you plebs!
Old August 12th 12, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 11:05:08 -0700 (PDT), S wrote:

snip

Rubbish

Any training, testing, licensing, and insurance should all be self-financing by
the cyclists themselves.

At 0 CO2 emission the VED would be 0, so the cost of administration
would have to be paid by someone else.

No chance - just call it "Cycle Tax"

Old August 12th 12, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
North Wales Yorkie

Bertie Wooster wrote:

Simpler still would be to allow people to use human powered machines
unlicensed and unregistered, otherwise some idiot will start calling
for skateboards, roller skates, wheelchairs and supermarket trolleys
to be licensed and registered.

The local trolls don't think things through. Their time would have been
better spent listening to today's File on Four program on diesel engine
emissions.
Old August 12th 12, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
North Wales Yorkie

John Benn wrote:

Re-testing at regular intervals is necessary I believe. 3 years is
probably too short a time. Perhaps every 5-10 years for drivers.

It's the elderly motorists with failing eyesight that really scare me.

Old August 12th 12, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

wrote:
"Rob" *wrote in messagenews

John Benn wrote:
|| "Steve Firth" *wrote in message
k...
|| You know, it's odd but I have a vague memory of several people loudly
|| shouting that it is impossible to affix a registration plate to a
|| bicycle and that no one should attempt to do so or even to request
|| that
|| it should be made a legal requirement for bicycles to be registered.
|| Apparently it is a technical problem of unsurmountable complexity..
||http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/..._1825451b..jpg
|| Or is it?
|| I don't see the Olympians complaining about it, or suggesting that
|| it's going to kill them.
|| ================================
|| I've been told that it is totally impossible to fit a registration
|| plate to a bicycle. *A physical impossibility.

Nonesense, simply make the tax and insurance disk holder bigger, with
room
to include a reg number. Sorted.

=========================

I agree, I was being sarcastic. *Some of the hardened cyclists in the
cycling newsgroups have previously laughed at the practicality of
mounting
registration plate on a bicycle. *They are terrified of it becoming a
legal
requirement. *There is no reason why a bicycle can't be fitted with an
identifying plate.

It would certainly stop cyclists commiting *parking offences,
speeding, or out running the police helicoper.

Although prosecutions of ten year olds for registration offences would
rocket.

Don't be silly. *There are plenty of road traffic offences carried out by
cyclists, on and off the pavement. *The only reason many of them never getYawn
of pedestrians being hit by cyclists or cars being damaged by cyclists
only
for the cyclist not to stop and go cycling off into the distance?

Actually, only certain members of uk.legal seem to be affected by this
menace. It's never happened to me in my 50 years or any of my
relatives or friends.
===========================

Never happened to me either but I regularly read about these incidents
happening.

It must make you so angry.

Yawn! No, we leave the "anger" bit to you and your ilk!

Yes, you can see how riled I must be. Yawn. And I have no ilk, man.
Though the m'ilk man comes every other day.

"How dare they try and treat us like road users when we're so busy doing
our green bit and trying to save the planet by holding up buses and cars
whenever we can."

You are too lazy and stupid to even bother to look for a useable quote
from some arrogant prick "green" cyclist. You just made up some
meaningless bull**** and put quotes around it. My Lord, you are a card
and no mistake.

Old August 12th 12, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.transport,uk.legal,uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

On Aug 12, 7:11*pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
Cassandra wrote:
All motorists should be retested out of their own pocket every *three
years.

Not only do I agree but I have stated this very clearly several times in
the past. It will thin out the morons on the road and hopefully let us
return to a saner age of driving.

And you'll need to dust off your bike then.