*Two* cyclists on Letterman last night

Old June 18th 08, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default *Two* cyclists on Letterman last night

Kind of a surprise when Steve Carell starts talking about his bike racing
days when he was 12 years old. At first you're thinking, uh-huh, yeah,
really, but then he gets into tubulars and hairnets (which I'm not sure made
sense, given that he's... well, OK, looked it up, he's 46 so maybe). It
would have been fun to see both Steve and Lance on stage at the same time
talking about cycling. Lance was there to promote his new all-encompassing
fixes-everything website (but I don't think he did a very good job of it).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old June 18th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Jun 18, 12:17 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:
Kind of a surprise when Steve Carell starts talking about his bike racing
days when he was 12 years old. At first you're thinking, uh-huh, yeah,
really, but then he gets into tubulars and hairnets (which I'm not sure made
sense, given that he's... well, OK, looked it up, he's 46 so maybe). It
would have been fun to see both Steve and Lance on stage at the same time
talking about cycling. Lance was there to promote his new all-encompassing
fixes-everything website (but I don't think he did a very good job of it).

Didn't this topic come up recently on this newsgroup...?
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...3b4cb29c45bbd#

I agree with your assessment, but I disapprove of your laggardly
reporting. ~

Old June 18th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
Lance was there to promote his new
all-encompassing fixes-everything website (but I don't think he did a very
good job of it).

Does it cover not getting thrown out of an exclusive restaurant with
mafia based spaghetti sauce ?

Old June 19th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

Didn't this topic come up recently on this newsgroup...?
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...3b4cb29c45bbd#

I agree with your assessment, but I disapprove of your laggardly
reporting. ~

I didn't scroll down far enough. My bad! You had the scoop. And your
analysis was spot-on.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old June 19th 08, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jun 18, 12:17*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

At first you're thinking, uh-huh, yeah,
really, but then he gets into tubulars and hairnets (which I'm not sure made
sense, given that he's... well, OK, looked it up, he's 46 so maybe).

No maybe about it. I'm 42 and raced juniors with a Cinelli hairnet and
my favorite wheelset was a set of 28 spoke Campy high flange hubs
(straight skewers) with were Fiamme red label (hard silver) rims.
Raced strada 66 tires on those most of the time. Training wheels were
various GP4 type rims on Campy record hubs. Pretty much standard stuff
for the time period.

Clinchers back then sucked. My dad made the early jump to wired-ons
and rode 27" Weinman concaves with Avocet hubs for a long time. Those
wheels were bulletproof, we even used them on our tandem with no
problems. I had offered to keep gluing tubbies for him but he saw the
future as clinchers and adopted early :-)

Mark

Old June 19th 08, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Jun 18, 8:08 pm, wrote:

Clinchers back then sucked. My dad made the early jump to wired-ons
and rode 27" Weinman concaves with Avocet hubs for a long time. Those
wheels were bulletproof, we even used them on our tandem with no
problems.

That brings back memories of the front wheel I rode across country on
in 1980. It's still on that same bike and I still ride it. It's
going to take some Kryptonite or a silver bullet to kill that thing.

Old June 19th 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:02:57 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
wrote:

On Jun 18, 8:08 pm, wrote:

Clinchers back then sucked. My dad made the early jump to wired-ons
and rode 27" Weinman concaves with Avocet hubs for a long time. Those
wheels were bulletproof, we even used them on our tandem with no
problems.

That brings back memories of the front wheel I rode across country on
in 1980. It's still on that same bike and I still ride it. It's
going to take some Kryptonite or a silver bullet to kill that thing.

I rode Weinman concaves across the US in 1984.

Old June 19th 08, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

wrote:
On Jun 18, 8:08 pm, wrote:

Clinchers back then sucked. My dad made the early jump to wired-ons
and rode 27" Weinman concaves with Avocet hubs for a long time. Those
wheels were bulletproof, we even used them on our tandem with no
problems.

That brings back memories of the front wheel I rode across country on
in 1980. It's still on that same bike and I still ride it. It's
going to take some Kryptonite or a silver bullet to kill that thing.

I rode Weinman concaves across the US in 1984.

I've wondered about the apparently negative aerodynamic aspect of the
concave rim, but since I'm not a weight or air wienie, and I'm cheap
and don't like having to replace perfectly good things, I doubt I'll
ever get rid of that wheel. I pretzeled the wheel riding up an
incline at an angle with a fully loaded bike, and used a telephone
pole to coax it back roughly into shape so I could ride. Wham!
Wham! Trued it up that night and, well, I'm still riding it.

What route did you take, JT? I rode West to East to take advantage of
the prevailing winds, but the wind was reversed the year I went.
Murphy's Law. My nephew is one of the group leaders this year for
Bike and Build on one of their cross country routes. http://bikeandbuild.org/cms/
Great organization and a lot of fun. And I'm totally jealous.

Old June 19th 08, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Schwartz[_2_]

RicodJour wrote:
On Jun 18, 8:08 pm, wrote:
Clinchers back then sucked. My dad made the early jump to wired-ons
and rode 27" Weinman concaves with Avocet hubs for a long time. Those
wheels were bulletproof, we even used them on our tandem with no
problems.

That brings back memories of the front wheel I rode across country on
in 1980. It's still on that same bike and I still ride it. It's
going to take some Kryptonite or a silver bullet to kill that thing.

I had a pair of those. If I hadn't thrown them out because they
sucked I'm sure they'd still be good today.

Bob Schwartz
Old June 19th 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Jun 18, 10:35 pm, Bob Schwartz
wrote:
RicodJour wrote:
On Jun 18, 8:08 pm, wrote:
Clinchers back then sucked. My dad made the early jump to wired-ons
and rode 27" Weinman concaves with Avocet hubs for a long time. Those
wheels were bulletproof, we even used them on our tandem with no
problems.

That brings back memories of the front wheel I rode across country on
in 1980. It's still on that same bike and I still ride it. It's
going to take some Kryptonite or a silver bullet to kill that thing.

I had a pair of those. If I hadn't thrown them out because they
sucked I'm sure they'd still be good today.

I'm sure you get asked this a lot, but define what you mean by suck.