MTB disc brake caused wild fire

Old March 26th 18, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default MTB disc brake caused wild fire

Remember when some folks here scoffed at that risk? Bernd Ullrich in the
German language bike NG posted this link but it is in German:

http://www.rp-online.de/panorama/aus...-aid-1.7479241

Here are link with photos and a video of the fi

http://www.vol.at/vorarlberg-waldbra...rsberg/5722558

http://vorarlberg.orf.at/news/stories/2903197/

Long story short it says that a Swiss MTB rider parked his MTB in grass
after a downhill ride. Then ... phut ... smoke and flames. He and two
other guys were unable to put out the fast-spreading fire. Two
helicopters over 100 fire fighters were required to get this under control.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old March 26th 18, 09:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 12:15:26 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
Remember when some folks here scoffed at that risk? Bernd Ullrich in the
German language bike NG posted this link but it is in German:

http://www.rp-online.de/panorama/aus...-aid-1.7479241

Here are link with photos and a video of the fi

http://www.vol.at/vorarlberg-waldbra...rsberg/5722558

http://vorarlberg.orf.at/news/stories/2903197/

Long story short it says that a Swiss MTB rider parked his MTB in grass
after a downhill ride. Then ... phut ... smoke and flames. He and two
other guys were unable to put out the fast-spreading fire. Two
helicopters over 100 fire fighters were required to get this under control.

The scoffers are so sorry to have scoffed! We will now proceed to hysteria! http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/wwfeatures/w...p/p03lcphh.jpg

-- Jay Beattie.

BTW -- note to Swiss MTB rider: if your bike has flaming hot rotors, lay it down on the right side or lean it against a tree.
Old March 26th 18, 09:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 3/26/2018 12:15 PM, Joerg wrote:
Remember when some folks here scoffed at that risk? Bernd Ullrich in the
German language bike NG posted this link but it is in German:

http://www.rp-online.de/panorama/aus...-aid-1.7479241

Here are link with photos and a video of the fi

http://www.vol.at/vorarlberg-waldbra...rsberg/5722558

http://vorarlberg.orf.at/news/stories/2903197/

Long story short it says that a Swiss MTB rider parked his MTB in grass
after a downhill ride. Then ... phut ... smoke and flames. He and two
other guys were unable to put out the fast-spreading fire. Two
helicopters over 100 fire fighters were required to get this under control.

Grant Petersen was right.
https://www.rivbike.com/pages/disc-brakes

Old March 26th 18, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/26/2018 2:15 PM, Joerg wrote:
Remember when some folks here scoffed at that risk? Bernd
Ullrich in the German language bike NG posted this link but
it is in German:

http://www.rp-online.de/panorama/aus...-aid-1.7479241

Here are link with photos and a video of the fi

http://www.vol.at/vorarlberg-waldbra...rsberg/5722558

http://vorarlberg.orf.at/news/stories/2903197/

Long story short it says that a Swiss MTB rider parked his
MTB in grass after a downhill ride. Then ... phut ... smoke
and flames. He and two other guys were unable to put out the
fast-spreading fire. Two helicopters over 100 fire fighters
were required to get this under control.

When an e-bike battery blows up and immolates Cameron Park,
THAT will be news.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 26th 18, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-03-26 13:57, sms wrote:
On 3/26/2018 12:15 PM, Joerg wrote:
Remember when some folks here scoffed at that risk? Bernd Ullrich in
the German language bike NG posted this link but it is in German:

http://www.rp-online.de/panorama/aus...-aid-1.7479241

Here are link with photos and a video of the fi

http://www.vol.at/vorarlberg-waldbra...rsberg/5722558

http://vorarlberg.orf.at/news/stories/2903197/

Long story short it says that a Swiss MTB rider parked his MTB in
grass after a downhill ride. Then ... phut ... smoke and flames. He
and two other guys were unable to put out the fast-spreading fire. Two
helicopters over 100 fire fighters were required to get this under
control.

Grant Petersen was right.
https://www.rivbike.com/pages/disc-brakes

Quote "But the idea that hub-disc brakes are an advancement or even
desirable for general purpose riding ... is nonsense"

If that's really his reasoning then he hasn't got a clue. Yesterday I
coasted back down a hill with a friend and a nasty hail storm set in. He
had disc brakes and could always stop on a dime. I was on my road bike
with rim brakes and they started to fail miserably. I had to keep them
partially engaged almost the whole time to make sure I had enough brake
actions when needed.

Old March 26th 18, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-03-26 14:18, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/26/2018 2:15 PM, Joerg wrote:
Remember when some folks here scoffed at that risk? Bernd
Ullrich in the German language bike NG posted this link but
it is in German:

http://www.rp-online.de/panorama/aus...-aid-1.7479241

Here are link with photos and a video of the fi

http://www.vol.at/vorarlberg-waldbra...rsberg/5722558

http://vorarlberg.orf.at/news/stories/2903197/

Long story short it says that a Swiss MTB rider parked his
MTB in grass after a downhill ride. Then ... phut ... smoke
and flames. He and two other guys were unable to put out the
fast-spreading fire. Two helicopters over 100 fire fighters
were required to get this under control.

When an e-bike battery blows up and immolates Cameron Park, THAT will be
news.

This one in 2017 was caused by a failing E-bike battery. Kept 70 fire
fighters and 30 fire trucks busy:

http://www.kn-online.de/Nachrichten/...nd-in-Parkhaus

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C4E8oUHVcAEjtoN.jpg

Old March 26th 18, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/26/2018 5:42 PM, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-03-26 13:57, sms wrote:
[...]

You had to squeeze your levers almost the whole time?

Oh, the humanity!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 26th 18, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-03-26 13:57, sms wrote:
[...]

It's not the squeezing, it's the constant grinding noise. Grinding noise
+ several miles = rim abrasion.

Disc brakes are simply superior in that and many other domains.

Interestingly, the grinding noise from the Koolstop pads was worse than
from the much cheaper Clarks pads. Braking efficiency in that weather
was equally lousy.

Old March 27th 18, 03:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 27/03/18 09:27, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-03-26 15:11, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I just got home from a ride in the rain. I used my rim brakes for quite
a way down the 2km descent to home. I didn't notice any grinding noise.
I washed a little aluminium oxide from the rims and brakes when I got
home.

No big deal.

--
JS
Old March 27th 18, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, March 26, 2018 at 7:05:08 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 27/03/18 09:27, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-03-26 15:11, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Road discs are relatively new, at least for an old guy like me. I rode in the rain for decades with rim brakes. I didn't die.

But, discs are better in the rain -- they stop better and don't grind down rims, which can happen after months of riding in the rain, particularly for a heavier rider who uses a lot of braking force. I work with a big guy who was going through a pair or rims every two years, and he paid others to re-rim his wheels -- so he spent some real dough. He shifted to discs a couple of years ago. I've been on a commuter with cable discs for 12 years and a year or two on hydraulics for the fast rain bike. Its nifty being a bicycle plumber.

-- Jay Beattie.