A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Mountain Biking
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Mountain Biking Carnage

Old January 13th 13, 11:56 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default Mountain Biking Carnage

On Sunday, January 13, 2013 1:55:50 PM UTC-8, Blackblade wrote:
If you had any sense, which you obviously don't, you would admit that I'm right. If you think you are right tell me again about my masters in statistics! IDIOT. You really are getting desperate aren't you ? Either that, or you have forgotten what you have previously written. I suppose that much ordure must affect the brain ! From your own website "I have an M.A. in Mathematics (including study in Statistics) from Harvard University."

So where do you see "Masters in Statistics"? Can't you even READ?????

So, stop equivocating and address the fundamental issue; you, who claim to know statistics, are observing a very rare occurrence of death for an activity which is daily engaged in by tens of millions.

Another lie.

You can try and obfuscate all you like but you know that this means that the likelihood of such an events is incredibly low. Of course, it's not zero so there will be some deaths ... but, critically, far less than die from many many other factors.

That's not the point. The point is that moubntain biking is far more dangerous than anything you mentioned. Danger isn't measured by total deaths, but by deaths per hour of the relevant activity. You are only demonstrating your utter ignorance of statistics.

And, PS, Harvard is only ranked fourth in the world ...http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...ties-2012#data

So what degree did you get, and where? I know you are bluffing, or you would have told us already!
Ads
Old January 14th 13, 03:59 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Blackblade
external usenet poster

That's not the point. The point is that moubntain biking is far more dangerous than anything you mentioned. Danger isn't measured by total deaths, but by deaths per hour of the relevant activity. You are only demonstrating your utter ignorance of statistics.

Mike, you don't get to suddenly decide how statistics are applied. I simply took the published figures.

Also, just to put you straight, the usual measure when applied to transport is Death per Mile Travelled (or x miles travelled) ... no need to thank me by the way !

I already invited you, if you want to come up with something more, to provide data. I don't have deaths per hour ... I highly doubt you do either.

However, to play the game, let's do a strawman ...

Let's say that the US's 50 million mountainbikers ride, on average, once every two weeks for 15 miles. You postulate that the distance is higher on your website but, hey, let's give you a chance on this.

That means that the total distance covered in a year is 19.5 billion miles.

You have about 12-15 deaths on your list ... but that's for the whole world ... not just the US. However, let's give you an even bigger chance and say that it's 24 fatalities per annum in the US alone.

That means that there are 0.00123 fatalities per million MTB miles travelled.

However, the figure for driving in the US is 1.5 per million miles travelled.

So, they are not even close ... as I said ... even if you make the MTB figures ridiculous (say 2,400 deaths per annum in the US ... which is certainly not the case) you still only come up with 0.123 deaths per million miles.

Quad Erat Demonstrandum ...

So what degree did you get, and where? I know you are bluffing, or you would have told us already!

Appeal to authority = Logical Fallacy.

I am not playing your stupid games.

However, given that I am British (as you know) and that there is only one British university on the list above Harvard I thought you might have figured it out. Ho hum !
Old January 15th 13, 03:40 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, January 14, 2013 6:59:35 AM UTC-8, Blackblade wrote:
Mike, you don't get to suddenly decide how statistics are applied. I simply took the published figures.

They aren't relevant, as I already explained. I guess you are too dumb to understand statistics.

Also, just to put you straight, the usual measure when applied to transport is Death per Mile Travelled (or x miles travelled) ... no need to thank me by the way !

That would be fine, but you don't provide that.

I already invited you, if you want to come up with something more, to provide data. I don't have deaths per hour ... I highly doubt you do either.

It's obvious.

However, to play the game, let's do a strawman ...

Let's say that the US's 50 million mountainbikers

There aren't 50 million mountain bikers in the U.S., liar.

ride, on average, once every two weeks for 15 miles. You postulate that the distance is higher on your website but, hey, let's give you a chance on this.

That means that the total distance covered in a year is 19.5 billion miles.

You have about 12-15 deaths on your list ... but that's for the whole world ... not just the US. However, let's give you an even bigger chance and say that it's 24 fatalities per annum in the US alone.

That means that there are 0.00123 fatalities per million MTB miles travelled.

However, the figure for driving in the US is 1.5 per million miles travelled.

So, they are not even close ... as I said ... even if you make the MTB figures ridiculous (say 2,400 deaths per annum in the US ... which is certainly not the case) you still only come up with 0.123 deaths per million miles.

Quad Erat Demonstrandum ...

Appeal to authority = Logical Fallacy.

I am not playing your stupid games.

However, given that I am British (as you know)

No, I don't.

and that there is only one British university on the list above Harvard I thought you might have figured it out. Ho hum !

That only indicates your stupidity. You have to look at how they were rated when I graduated from Berkeley & Harvard, when your university probably wasn't on the map. I can't believe you ever went to a university, to make such a simple blunder.

So tell me again about my "masters in statistics"! LIAR!
Old January 15th 13, 02:04 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Blackblade
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:40:30 AM UTC, Mike Vandeman wrote:
On Monday, January 14, 2013 6:59:35 AM UTC-8, Blackblade wrote:

They aren't relevant, as I already explained. I guess you are too dumb to understand statistics.

That would be fine, but you don't provide that.

I think you will find, if you can be bothered to read the entire post, that I estimate exactly that !

I already invited you, if you want to come up with something more, to provide data. I don't have deaths per hour ... I highly doubt you do either..

It's obvious.

No, it's not. And as some sort of, albeit very poor, scientist you should know that. The data suggests that the death rate from MTB is orders of magnitude lower than driving ... so your 'obvious' is complete crap.

There aren't 50 million mountain bikers in the U.S., liar.

The Journal of Park and Recreation Administration estimated that there were 45.2 million back in 2006. IMBA states that there are 50 million. Where do you get your data ? Oh, sorry, I forgot ... you magically make numbers up and they are axiomatically true !

No other comments on the logic/proof ????? Instead, you go back to my university education which, like yours, is completely irrelevant to the point. Neither of us have degrees in Mountain Biking !

So, no refutation that driving is orders of magnitude more dangerous than mountainbiking ? Thought not ...

That only indicates your stupidity. You have to look at how they were rated when I graduated from Berkeley & Harvard, when your university probably wasn't on the map. I can't believe you ever went to a university, to make such a simple blunder.

"As the oldest university in the English-speaking world, Oxford is a unique and historic institution."

Ha ha. I think you'll find that my university existed long before even the USA :-)

You really are lazy aren't you ? Can't be bothered to do a five second check to determine the veracity of anything ? That's why no-one believes you anymore ... you spout opinion as if it were fact and then change the subject when you're called on it.
Old January 16th 13, 12:20 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 5:04:04 AM UTC-8, Blackblade wrote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 2:40:30 AM UTC, Mike Vandeman wrote: On Monday, January 14, 2013 6:59:35 AM UTC-8, Blackblade wrote: Mike, you don't get to suddenly decide how statistics are applied. I simply took the published figures. They aren't relevant, as I already explained. I guess you are too dumb to understand statistics. Also, just to put you straight, the usual measure when applied to transport is Death per Mile Travelled (or x miles travelled) ... no need to thank me by the way ! That would be fine, but you don't provide that. I think you will find, if you can be bothered to read the entire post, that I estimate exactly that ! I already invited you, if you want to come up with something more, to provide data. I don't have deaths per hour ... I highly doubt you do either. It's obvious. No, it's not. And as some sort of, albeit very poor, scientist you should know that. The data suggests that the death rate from MTB is orders of magnitude lower than driving ... so your 'obvious' is complete crap. There aren't 50 million mountain bikers in the U.S., liar. The Journal of Park and Recreation Administration estimated that there were 45.2 million back in 2006. IMBA states that there are 50 million. Where do you get your data ? Oh, sorry, I forgot ... you magically make numbers up and they are axiomatically true ! No other comments on the logic/proof ????? Instead, you go back to my university education which, like yours, is completely irrelevant to the point. Neither of us have degrees in Mountain Biking ! So, no refutation that driving is orders of magnitude more dangerous than mountainbiking ? Thought not ... That only indicates your stupidity. You have to look at how they were rated when I graduated from Berkeley & Harvard, when your university probably wasn't on the map. I can't believe you ever went to a university, to make such a simple blunder. "As the oldest university in the English-speaking world, Oxford is a unique and historic institution." Ha ha. I think you'll find that my university existed long before even the USA :-) You really are lazy aren't you ? Can't be bothered to do a five second check to determine the veracity of anything ? That's why no-one believes you anymore ... you spout opinion as if it were fact and then change the subject when you're called on it.

Tell me again about my "masters in statistics", Oh Great Oxford Scholar. What WAS your major? Football? Ping Pong? Please enlighten us, Oh Great One.
Old January 16th 13, 01:53 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Blackblade
external usenet poster

Tell me again about my "masters in statistics", Oh Great Oxford Scholar. What WAS your major? Football? Ping Pong? Please enlighten us, Oh Great One..

So you concede the major point then I assume. Mountain Biking is far less dangerous than driving a car. I assume this because, as usual when you lose, you then flail around on ancillary points as here.

I hereby rescind any comment about any ability of yours in statistics ... you clearly have none.

If "I have an M.A. in Mathematics (including study in Statistics) from Harvard University." as quoted on your website means you have no mastery of statistics then the great institution of Harvard must be very disappointed in you.

And, as I said, my undergraduate and postgraduate qualifications have zero to do with the argument. I am not claiming any authority by dint of my educational background ... simply letting the facts speak for themselves. I just thought it very funny that, yet again, your presumptions were provably wrong.
Old January 17th 13, 02:59 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman[_4_]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, January 16, 2013 4:53:02 AM UTC-8, Blackblade wrote:
Tell me again about my "masters in statistics", Oh Great Oxford Scholar.. What WAS your major? Football? Ping Pong? Please enlighten us, Oh Great One.

So you concede the major point then I assume. Mountain Biking is far less dangerous than driving a car. I assume this because, as usual when you lose, you then flail around on ancillary points as here.

I hereby rescind any comment about any ability of yours in statistics ... you clearly have none.

If "I have an M.A. in Mathematics (including study in Statistics) from Harvard University." as quoted on your website means you have no mastery of statistics then the great institution of Harvard must be very disappointed in you.

And, as I said, my undergraduate and postgraduate qualifications have zero to do with the argument.

But the fact that you refuse to answer a simple question proves that you are ashamed of your education and have something to hide, and are thoroughly dishonest.

I am not claiming any authority by dint of my educational background ... simply letting the facts speak for themselves. I just thought it very funny that, yet again, your presumptions were provably wrong.

I'm not going to waste any more time responding to dishonest mountain bikers. You don't answer questions, proving that you have something to hide and aren't being honest, you lie frequently, you can't reason logically. and you keep repeating assertions that I have already refuted.
Old January 17th 13, 04:13 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Tom $herman
external usenet poster

On 1/15/2013 7:04 AM, Blackblade wrote:
No other comments on the logic/proof ????? Instead, you go back to my university education which, like yours, is completely irrelevant to the point. Neither of us have degrees in Mountain Biking !

Mikey V. has honorary doctorates in "Usenet Trolling", "Tree-Fort
Building" and "HANDSAW Combat".

--
Tom $herman
Old January 17th 13, 11:13 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Blackblade
external usenet poster

I'm not going to waste any more time responding to dishonest mountain bikers. You don't answer questions, proving that you have something to hide and aren't being honest, you lie frequently, you can't reason logically. and you keep repeating assertions that I have already refuted.

Good, then go away ! This is alt.mountain-bike ...

Aside from anything else, I don't know why you bother when you keep getting bettered by mountainbikers using logic and facts instead of the ad-hominem, circular logic, false dichotomies and baseless assertions you employ. You don't refute anything ... you state that it's the case and then call everyone liars when they point out the lack of backup in facts and logic.