dull

Old April 16th 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Andre

Default dull

I don't know, but I found today's race dull. By the way, Hoste was run
down by a motor bike when he and Boonen were coming back to catch the
second group. Boonen was able to avoid the crash by swerving
violently. Leif said that together with Tom they would have caught the
Flecha group much earlier. It may have been a different race then.

Andre

Old April 16th 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RonSonic

On 15 Apr 2007 16:23:36 -0700, "Andre" wrote:

I don't know, but I found today's race dull. By the way, Hoste was run
down by a motor bike when he and Boonen were coming back to catch the
second group. Boonen was able to avoid the crash by swerving
violently. Leif said that together with Tom they would have caught the
Flecha group much earlier. It may have been a different race then.

Who were the douchebags who didn't take their mechanical problems off the road
and caused a pile-up?

Ron
Old April 16th 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Andre" wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't know, but I found today's race dull. By the way, Hoste was run
down by a motor bike when he and Boonen were coming back to catch the
second group. Boonen was able to avoid the crash by swerving
violently. Leif said that together with Tom they would have caught the
Flecha group much earlier. It may have been a different race then.

You found it dull that one of the most deserving riders in the peloton
pulled away out of nowhere and that the rest of the chase group lost ground
to him all the way to the finish?

Old April 16th 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Apr 15, 4:23 pm, "Andre" wrote:
I don't know, but I found today's race dull.

The cyclingnews live report made it sound dull too, in part because I
didn't have a good sense of the key moments, O'Grady kept appearing
and disappearing. But the followup report gave a much better sense of
the unfolding of the race, the well-timed attacks and the missed
opportunities. And the Gazzetta made it sound positively like a
historical epic...

Old April 16th 07, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

You found it dull that one of the most deserving riders in the peloton
pulled away out of nowhere and that the rest of the chase group lost
ground to him all the way to the finish?

There are certain guys whom we'd really *LIKE* to see win, because they've
paid their dues and we like their style & manners. But if you want a winner
based on lifetime achievement or some-such, then you'd better stick to the
Academy Awards.

You can make a case that, in a given race, circumstances might have
transpired against someone and caused him to be unfairly denied a victory,
but aside from that, much as I'd like to see a Stuart O'Grady or Jens Voight
or Erik Zabel win because they play fair, work hard and say the right
things... that doesn't make then deserving of a win. If they can do all that
*and* cross the finish line first- THEN they deserve to win.

But maybe that's not what you meant by "deserving?"

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old April 16th 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
t...
[...]

Obviously we have different ideas of what "deserving" means. O'Grady has
been finishing at the front and just missing it for years and years. No one
has worked harder and no one had more hard luck and stuck to it.

This wasn't a case where the rest of the pack missed the turn and went down
the wrong road.

Old April 16th 07, 07:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kenny

On 16 apr, 05:51, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
[...]

the wrong road.- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

Finishing at the front? missing it for years and years? i hope
you're not talking about his P-R record. His best result was an 18th
spot in 2003 and 2005. You could not consider him as a top favourite
for this race. He was an outsider, based on his form and top-10's
this year so far.

You can't deny the fact that the favourites were spending most of
their time marking Boonen. We never saw a Cancellara-Boonen-PVP-
Flecha-Gusev-Hoste battle like last year. That makes it a little
dull. Nonetheless, O'grady was very strong, never panicked, did it
tactically very well.

Old April 16th 07, 07:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni

On Apr 15, 11:32 pm, "Kenny" wrote:

Obviously we have different ideas of what "deserving" means. O'Grady has
been finishing at the front and just missing it for years and years. No one
has worked harder and no one had more hard luck and stuck to it.

This wasn't a case where the rest of the pack missed the turn and went down
the wrong road.

Finishing at the front? missing it for years and years? i hope
you're not talking about his P-R record. His best result was an 18th
spot in 2003 and 2005. You could not consider him as a top favourite
for this race. He was an outsider, based on his form and top-10's
this year so far.

snip

Dumbass -

What the **** are you thinking? Look at to whom you are replying.
O'Grady deserves it because he's from an English speaking country.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.