If Finish Line Lube is so obviously grossly overpriced, why is it sold in every LBS?

Old January 24th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

Default If Finish Line Lube is so obviously grossly overpriced, why is it sold in every LBS?

Is this just a conspiracy to extract every possible dollar from cyclists?

If so, who are the conspirators? Are LBS prohibited from selling cheaper,
just as good, lubes?

Regular RBT contributors know I am commuting year round 20 miles daily in
Chicago. I recently bought a bottle of
http://www.finishlineusa.com/product...untry-lube.htm . It seems to
be an effective winter chain lube. I expect this bottle will easily last
until spring. So we are not talking about big bucks here.

Thanks for any info - J.

Old January 24th 08, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Luke

In article , Jay
wrote:

Is this just a conspiracy to extract every possible dollar from cyclists?

If so, who are the conspirators? Are LBS prohibited from selling cheaper,
just as good, lubes?

Regular RBT contributors know I am commuting year round 20 miles daily in
Chicago. I recently bought a bottle of
http://www.finishlineusa.com/product...untry-lube.htm . It seems to
be an effective winter chain lube. I expect this bottle will easily last
until spring. So we are not talking about big bucks here.

Thanks for any info - J.

I'd like to know why that gastronomical obscenity, The Big Mac, is sold
in every McDonalds. A greater conspiracy by far!
Old January 24th 08, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Chicago. I recently bought a bottle ofhttp://www.finishlineusa.com/products/cross-country-lube.htm*. It seems to
be an effective winter chain lube. I expect this bottle will easily last
until spring. So we are not talking about big bucks here.

Thanks for any info - J.

If you read from the offered link IRT chain care, you might have
noticed a difference between doing it one of the "right" ways, and the
Other Way, which is to have a handy-dandy little bottle of CHANE LOOB
(with drip applicator) that you carefully and sparingly drip on the
chain, wipe off excess on go on, compared to (right way) taking the
chain off, exhaustively cleaning it, including getting all the solvent
out somehow or another, then soaking in a pan of lube and dealing with
the resulting messy de-panning, excess lube removing, and remounting.
And de-canting and re-canting of the "bulk" lube, of course. Including
coffee filter strainer setup for solvents and lube.

One thing I do wrong on purpose although I may change my ways if the
swap to 10 speed occurs this Spring as scheduled. --D-y
Old January 24th 08, 05:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Jay wrote:
Is this just a conspiracy to extract every possible dollar from cyclists?
If so, who are the conspirators? Are LBS prohibited from selling cheaper,
just as good, lubes?
Regular RBT contributors know I am commuting year round 20 miles daily in
Chicago. I recently bought a bottle of
http://www.finishlineusa.com/product...untry-lube.htm . It seems to
be an effective winter chain lube. I expect this bottle will easily last
until spring. So we are not talking about big bucks here.

People actually ask for it (and similar products ) by brand and 'latest
version'. Do you have any idea how many styles/labels of White Lightning
exist? I don't, but there sure are many.

If you ask for Product X, I'll hand you one from the display rack. If
you ask my advice, I'll gladly expound on lubrication. But I'm not
religious enough to pick a fight over lubricants. Or pseudo lubricants.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old January 24th 08, 01:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

http://www.finishlineusa.com/product...ntry-lube.htm*. It seems to
be an effective winter chain lube. I expect this bottle will easily last
until spring. So we are not talking about big bucks here.

People actually ask for it (and similar products ) by brand and 'latest
version'. Do you have any idea how many styles/labels of White Lightning
exist? I don't, but there sure are many.

If you ask for Product X, I'll hand you one from the display rack. If
you ask my advice, I'll gladly expound on lubrication. But I'm not
religious enough to pick a fight over lubricants. Or pseudo lubricants.
--
Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

OK, I think I am beginning to see this from the LBS perspective. The
quickest and easiest thing to do is hand the customer a little bottle,
and say, 'this is what we use in the shop'. And after all, the LBS is
a for-profit business, not a free information service.

J.

Old January 24th 08, 01:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

On Jan 23, 7:36*pm, " wrote:
On Jan 23, 6:21*pm, "Jay" wrote:

[...]

The only reason I lube my chain is to avoid metal-on-metal sounds like
squeaks, chirps, etc. The only time I remove my chain is to replace
it. I think proper chain maintenance makes sense for $200 titanium
chains. But for my $15 chains, a little bottle of chain lube, and
prompt replacement at the wear indication, is a good strategy.

J.

Old January 24th 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

wrote:

If you read from the offered link IRT chain care, you might have
noticed a difference between doing it one of the "right" ways, and the
Other Way, which is to have a handy-dandy little bottle of CHANE LOOB
(with drip applicator) that you carefully and sparingly drip on the
chain, wipe off excess on go on, compared to (right way) taking the
chain off, exhaustively cleaning it, including getting all the solvent
out somehow or another, then soaking in a pan of lube and dealing with
the resulting messy de-panning, excess lube removing, and remounting.
And de-canting and re-canting of the "bulk" lube, of course. Including
coffee filter strainer setup for solvents and lube.

Actually, many chain care sites explicitly do not recommend removing the
chain, including Sheldon's (unless you use a Craig Super Link or SRAM
PowerLink). You can clean a chain on the bicycle in much less time, and
get it cleaner than soaking it.

Similarly, there is no need to sit there dripping chain lube on every
link, much of which is wasted. Go to a motorcycle parts store, buy a can
of foaming chain lube for non-O ring chains, and spray it on in about 30
seconds. It gets into the inner reaches of the chain.

Really no need to filter the solvent either, there isn't that much of
it. You can store the dirty solvent until you have enough to bring to
the hazardous waste disposal.

If you use the right procedure and products, cleaning and lubing is a
process that takes less than five minutes per bicycle.

Look at the bright side--at least no one is still hot-waxing their chains!

Old January 24th 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 24, 7:50*am, SMS wrote:

Actually, many chain care sites explicitly do not recommend removing the
chain, including Sheldon's (unless you use a Craig Super Link or SRAM
PowerLink). You can clean a chain on the bicycle in much less time, and
get it cleaner than soaking it.

I've never had a problem with chains put together with a pin tool,
ever.

Not to say there's something wrong with "quick links", but it's how I
started. I'm still 9 speed, so things will change (repeating) if the
move to 10 happens.

Cleaner on the bike? Well... "show me".

Similarly, there is no need to sit there dripping chain lube on every
link, much of which is wasted. Go to a motorcycle parts store, buy a can
of foaming chain lube for non-O ring chains, and spray it on in about 30
seconds. It gets into the inner reaches of the chain.

I tried a couple of MC lubes, they left a sticky residue. I don't "sit
there..." etc. etc., either.

Really no need to filter the solvent either, there isn't that much of
it. You can store the dirty solvent until you have enough to bring to
the hazardous waste disposal.

Well, I don't filter because I don't use it in the first place g.
But, if I went to the (for example) gallon-milk-jug chain cleaning
method (agitate, changing "washes" of solvent until clear), I'd be
filtering in consideration of cost and environmental impact.

If you use the right procedure and products, cleaning and lubing is a
process that takes less than five minutes per bicycle.

Wipe off, hold the stinger over the chain, spin the crank and drip
while moving, wipe off again. Should be under five minutes, agreed
g.

That's the religion I believe in. I was going to go check my odometer
to report how many thousands of miles I've gotten out of the last 9sp
chain but the s on the end of thousand there will suffice.

Back when I could get Sedisport chains for four or five bucks, I just
changed them when they got dirty. Thousand, twelve hundred miles or
so. Time is money.

Look at the bright side--at least no one is still hot-waxing their chains!

I think you're wrong there. Many Believers follow that path to this
day.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadin...nce/chain.html

Yep, "ferver", that's the right word all right. --D-y
Old January 24th 08, 04:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

wrote:

I think you're wrong there. Many Believers follow that path to this
day.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadin...nce/chain.html

Yep, "ferver", that's the right word all right. --D-y

That's a pretty old post. Someone would have to be really stupid to
still be hot waxing.
Old January 24th 08, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 18:21:20 -0600, "Jay" may have
said:

Is this just a conspiracy to extract every possible dollar from cyclists?

Only the generalized conspiracy that is modern capitalism in action.

If so, who are the conspirators?

Everyone, really.

Are LBS prohibited from selling cheaper,
just as good, lubes?

Indirectly, yes. Profit is generally acknowledged as the only valid
basis for being in business. Shelf space costs the same amount
regardless of whether the revenue generated from it is miniscule or
considerable; ergo the usual goal is to generate the most profit both
per sale and per square foot of shelf space. If the markup is the
same across a range of products of varying price but identical
function, then the most profitable one to sell (assuming that you
aren't going to lose sales due to exceeding the purchasing public's
price tolerance point) is the most expensive one.

Regular RBT contributors know I am commuting year round 20 miles daily in
Chicago. I recently bought a bottle of
http://www.finishlineusa.com/product...untry-lube.htm . It seems to
be an effective winter chain lube. I expect this bottle will easily last
until spring. So we are not talking about big bucks here.

And there you have it; the price is close to the limit of what you're
willing to pay, and therefore they probably aren't losing any sales.