rain commuting - cheap plastic pants?

Old November 5th 08, 10:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Judoman

Default rain commuting - cheap plastic pants?

I commute 30 minutes, sometimes it rains. I'm not sure whether I want
to just ride in clothes that can get soaked, and I'll change at
work ... or if I should wear waterproof clothes. I'm concerned that
I'll just get very hot & sweaty, and so still end up all wet. So I'd
like to test wearing rainproof clothes with _cheap_ plastic pants,
rather than paying a lot of money for expensive snazzy wet weather
gear.

Any idea where I can get some plastic pants, and a jacket maybe?

thanks!
Old November 5th 08, 11:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

On Wed, 05 Nov 2008 02:31:01 -0800, Judoman wrote:

Any idea where I can get some plastic pants, and a jacket maybe?

cheap == kmart, big W, etc

Otherwise, above, motorcycle place, or workwear place.

If you have mudguards, then also consider a rain cape. That can help with
hot and sweaty, but doens't stop the flick up from tyres.

Old November 5th 08, 10:09 PM posted to aus.bicycle
thefathippy

On Nov 5, 9:31*pm, Judoman wrote:
I commute 30 minutes, sometimes it rains. *I'm not sure whether I want
to just ride in clothes that can get soaked, and I'll change at
work ... or if I should wear waterproof clothes. *I'm concerned that
I'll just get very hot & sweaty, and so still end up all wet. *So I'd
like to test wearing rainproof clothes with _cheap_ plastic pants,
rather than paying a lot of money for expensive snazzy wet weather
gear.

Any idea where I can get some plastic pants, and a jacket maybe?

MCAS (www.mcas.com.au) or pretty well any motorbike accessories place
will have bike specific plastic pants. Should cost ~$20-25. They don't
breathe, though...

Repairs are easy - a tube of seam sealant from your local camping
supplies store.

But... on the deadly treadly, I prefer to wear lycra tights in the
rain. You get wet, but stay warm, and they are heaps more comfy than
anything plastic. the cheapo option is to go to Target and get some
women's tights - $10-20.

Tony F
Old November 6th 08, 02:09 AM posted to aus.bicycle
John Pitts[_2_]

On 2008-11-05, Judoman wrote:
I commute 30 minutes, sometimes it rains. I'm not sure whether I want
to just ride in clothes that can get soaked, and I'll change at
work ... or if I should wear waterproof clothes.

Where do you live? If it's warm enough, you're better off just getting
wet.

I'm concerned that I'll just get very hot & sweaty, and so still end
up all wet.

That's why.

Since I moved to sunny (hah!) Queensland, where it doesn't actually get
cold, I don't worry about the rain. I wear knicks and a polo shirt, and
shower and change when I get to work. My bike does have mudguards,
which makes the ride much more pleasant.

So I'd
like to test wearing rainproof clothes with _cheap_ plastic pants,
rather than paying a lot of money for expensive snazzy wet weather
gear.

You will sweat in cheap waterproofs, whereas the expensive stuff will be
made of fancy materials which wick the sweat away. But no matter what
you wear, I think you'll still get hot. The rain cape mentioned by
another poster sounds like a better option.

--
John
ALL CAPS TALK LEADS TO B1FF T4LK. B1FF T4LK LE4D$ 2 W4r37_t4LK. W4r3Zt/\1k
Old November 6th 08, 08:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
F Murtz[_2_]

Judoman wrote:
I commute 30 minutes, sometimes it rains. I'm not sure whether I want
to just ride in clothes that can get soaked, and I'll change at
work ... or if I should wear waterproof clothes. I'm concerned that
I'll just get very hot & sweaty, and so still end up all wet. So I'd
like to test wearing rainproof clothes with _cheap_ plastic pants,
rather than paying a lot of money for expensive snazzy wet weather
gear.

Any idea where I can get some plastic pants, and a jacket maybe?

thanks!

If you live anywhere near Burwood NSW At the old post office there is a
discount type shop with some for about $10 [zippers down both legs lined
velcro everywhere very clever things]
Old November 6th 08, 12:26 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Graeme Dods

John Pitts wrote in news:01224a72$0$20627$c3e8da3
@news.astraweb.com:

You will sweat in cheap waterproofs, whereas the expensive stuff will be
made of fancy materials which wick the sweat away.

Maybe I'm just a sweaty bugger, but not even the fanciest of breathable
materials have been able to wick away anywhere near enough to keep me dry
on the inside whilst cycling. The wetter the breathable fabrics get on the
outside, the less they're able to breathe. So the more you need them, the
less they work.

As others have said, get wet but stay warm and you'll be fine. The only
trouble I find is the (fake) chamois in the shorts can leave you rather red
and itchy if you cycle far when it's drenched.

--
Graeme