What Right-Wing Governance Does For Cycling

Old March 18th 11, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

Default OT - Moving to Japan --Talking about intelligent design, reactorsand bike lanes

On 3/18/2011 10:03 AM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the
Stop the Bull**** Campaign wrote:

We have discussed so many issues here, but I remember that we
discussed stupid design in the engineering of bike lanes and city
planning...

Well, a smart listener called in NPR and reminded the experts that
"Tsunami" is a Japanese word and they could have placed easily the
reactors on higher ground expecting such events. That would have been
INTELLIGENT DESIGN.

Some would say that intelligent design would be to perfect fusion.

But I wouldn't pick on the Japanese. US has plants on fault lines.

For example check the safety section in this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_Canyon_Power_Plant

or
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42103936...-asia-pacific/

We hear that the technology is in place to protect us and that the risk
is acceptable. WRT the potential danger here I doubt both of those claims.

Wherever we turn though we see stupid design, particularly when it
comes to bike facilities, a very low priority in safety since we are
the only casualties. We have mixed paths that mix people, dogs and
bikes and we have bike lanes that disappear. The issue is --more than
an oversight-- that we live in a hierarchical system --forget
democracy-- where decisions are taken without the feedback of the
people, who must shut up and accept what they get.

I think that the majority of decisions are taken based on profit
projections.
Old March 18th 11, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

while listening to BBC and considering dikes as a manadatory Japanese
Nuke structure, I learned used rods were place in the attic.
How effective.

Old March 18th 11, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

orhttp://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42103936/ns/world_news-asia-pacific/

We hear that the technology is in place to protect us and that the risk
is acceptable. *WRT the potential danger here I doubt both of those claims.

I see, but notice the Japanese plants survived the earthquake but not
the Tsunami.

Wherever we turn though we see stupid design, particularly when it
comes to bike facilities, a very low priority in safety since we are
the only casualties. We have mixed paths that mix people, dogs and
bikes and we have bike lanes that disappear. The issue is --more than
an oversight-- that we live in a hierarchical system --forget
democracy-- where decisions are taken without the feedback of the
people, who must shut up and accept what they get.

I think that the majority of decisions are taken based on profit
projections.

Got it. Perhaps decisions are solely based on profit, and then ****
happens.

What worries me that every project seem to be closed to feedback from
the bottom, whether that's cyclists testing a facility or a
catastrophic event. For example, everybody knew a major hurricane
would overwhelm the dams in New Orleans and nobody took action.
Old March 18th 11, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

On 3/18/2011 2:47 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the
[...]

In the case of New Orleans, it's worse than that.
Money was allocated to take action but then funding was cut by George Jr.

http://www.historycommons.org/timeli...katrina_t mln

Good job Brownie. It's not always an engineering problem.
Old March 18th 11, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 18, 3:02*pm, Duane Hebert wrote:
[...]

http://www.historycommons.org/timeli...dly=true&katri....

Good job Brownie. *It's not always an engineering problem.

Well, it's always a political issue somehow intertwined with the
engineering.

Now all the streets are being rebuilt with the largess of the Obama's
funds while other projects go hungry. Public transportation is one of
those. And so is bicycling as the ultimate simple solution to our
local transportation woes.
Old March 18th 11, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

On Mar 18, 2:02*pm, kolldata wrote:
while listening to BBC and considering dikes as a manadatory Japanese
Nuke structure, I learned *used rods were place in the attic.
How effective.

QUESTION:
“Spent fuel rods stored in the attic and emergency generators in the
basement.
Hindsight is 20/20 and all that but, isn't it rather obvious that this
is precisely backwards?”

FEEDBACK:

"Three engineers at GE quit over the stupidity of this design - 45
years ago. They predicted exactly the design flaws which have
occurred. If you think about these incredibly stupid nuclear reactors,
you can't help wondering how much greed and cost-cutti*ng enters into
the design of all nuclear reactors."

"Engineers designed this crap. WTF? Heat rises, flooding shuts down
diesel generators*. D'uh!"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/social..._80893873.html

OT - Ping wing RONSERESURPLUS Racing 0 July 5th 07 03:40 PM
FSA Wing Pro handlebar 42cm, 31.8mm wing profile Mapei58 Marketplace 1 July 21st 06 03:06 AM
FSA K-Wing Carbon Fiber Ross Techniques 1 January 31st 06 07:02 AM
The Militant wing of u.r.c David Martin UK 12 May 3rd 05 03:58 PM
FS: Profile Air Wing TT bar Jimworx Marketplace 0 April 20th 05 04:29 AM