Critical Mass can clear a street for emergency vehicles.

Old March 2nd 12, 07:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default Critical Mass can clear a street for emergency vehicles.

Here is an excerpt from a car-free network email.

"...In the USA, automobile congestion is a major factor in emergency
response delays, causing additional loss of life. (In contrast there's
no delay when there's a critical mass ride when a fire truck needs to
get through, because bicyclists clear the street almost instantly,
whereas motor vehicle gridlock has no option..."

Of course, the same applies to ambulances.

-- .
Critical Mass London.
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk
"We aren't blocking traffic, we are traffic".

Old March 2nd 12, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 02/03/2012 06:13, Doug wrote:
Here is an excerpt from a car-free network email.

"...In the USA, automobile congestion is a major factor in emergency
response delays

In the UK we have Blues & Two's which seem to work....

University
Old March 2nd 12, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"Dave - Cyclists VOR" wrote in message
On 02/03/2012 06:13, Doug wrote:
Here is an excerpt from a car-free network email.

"...In the USA, automobile congestion is a major factor in emergency
response delays

In the UK we have Blues & Two's which seem to work....

University

They're pretty effective but there's a piece of film from "Police Camera
Action" of a police unit carrying a transplant from Stansted to one of the
Hospitals in Kensington which shows some pretty awful failures to get out of
the way, Two stick in my mind, a lorry/van on the M11 and a German car in
London which pulled to the right (natural for the driver) rather than the
left. They made the run in about 30 minutes which is amazing even allowing
for police at junctions and outriders clearing the way.

Old March 2nd 12, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Doug wrote:
Here is an excerpt from a car-free network email.

"...In the USA, automobile congestion is a major factor in emergency
response delays, causing additional loss of life. (In contrast there's
no delay when there's a critical mass ride when a fire truck needs to
get through, because bicyclists clear the street almost instantly,
whereas motor vehicle gridlock has no option..."

Of course, the same applies to ambulances.

American streets incorporate a central 'Fire Lane' which you are not allowed
to stop in, just so that emergency vehicles can get through

Old March 2nd 12, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
Doug wrote:
Here is an excerpt from a car-free network email.

"...In the USA, automobile congestion is a major factor in emergency
response delays, causing additional loss of life. (In contrast there's
no delay when there's a critical mass ride when a fire truck needs to
get through, because bicyclists clear the street almost instantly,
whereas motor vehicle gridlock has no option..."

Of course, the same applies to ambulances.

American streets incorporate a central 'Fire Lane' which you are not
allowed to stop in, just so that emergency vehicles can get through

Some American streets in some towns. It's by no means universal.

Old March 3rd 12, 01:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
roger merriman

Doug wrote:

Here is an excerpt from a car-free network email.

"...In the USA, automobile congestion is a major factor in emergency
response delays, causing additional loss of life. (In contrast there's
no delay when there's a critical mass ride when a fire truck needs to
get through, because bicyclists clear the street almost instantly,
whereas motor vehicle gridlock has no option..."

Of course, the same applies to ambulances.

On the whole cars and what not do the same, pull up on the kerb both
sides and a ambo can can barrel though even a rushhour dual carrage way.

roger
Old March 3rd 12, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

"roger merriman" wrote in message
Doug wrote:

Here is an excerpt from a car-free network email.

"...In the USA, automobile congestion is a major factor in emergency
response delays, causing additional loss of life. (In contrast there's
no delay when there's a critical mass ride when a fire truck needs to
get through, because bicyclists clear the street almost instantly,
whereas motor vehicle gridlock has no option..."

Of course, the same applies to ambulances.

On the whole cars and what not do the same, pull up on the kerb both
sides and a ambo can can barrel though even a rushhour dual carrage way.

roger

20 years ago that was true, the cars were less well sound insulated and
drivers seemed more alert, the old two-tones seemed much louder than the
modern electronic variety, people did clear a path and emergency vehicles
did rocket through. Not nowadays, I am amazed at how many people seem
totally unaware of an ambulance (for instance) coming up behind them and
then seem unable to work out where to go. Recently I slowed because an
ambulance was coming up from behind, there was a long traffic island coming
up so the ambo needed to go through first, as it got nearer, the car behind
decided to overtake me! , totally oblivious to the flashing lights and
sirens behind him/her. This caused the ambo to slam the brakes on and lose
most of his speed.

Old March 3rd 12, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On Mar 3, 12:10*am, (roger merriman) wrote:
Doug wrote:
Here is an excerpt from a car-free network email.

"...In the USA, automobile congestion is a major factor in emergency
response delays, causing additional loss of life. (In contrast there's
no delay when there's a critical mass ride when a fire truck needs to
get through, because bicyclists clear the street almost instantly,
whereas motor vehicle gridlock has no option..."

Of course, the same applies to ambulances.

On the whole cars and what not do the same, pull up on the kerb both
sides and a ambo can can barrel though even a rushhour dual carrage way.

Problem is they are much wider than bicycles and when you get two cars
abreast in a two lane traffic jam there is nowhere for them to go.
Bicycles, OTOH, are much more maneuverable in traffic and Critical
Mass will have cleared a large section of traffic out of the way
anyway.

-- .