Volae Reports Anyone?

Old December 6th 03, 08:02 AM
Tom Sherman

Default Volae Reports Anyone?

Seth Jayson wrote:
Post that Brevet schedule. I'd like to get out and ride some longer
distances, although that may be a ways off. I got creamed this weekend
by Gary Toy out in Barrington....

Gary rides a proper lowracer, not one of those nosebleed bikes.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth
Old December 7th 03, 09:46 AM
nogoslow

(Seth Jayson) wrote in message om...
Boy Seth,

You must be on the payroll dude!
I beg to differ with you but a strong rider will make that bike
"wiggle".
I guess you don't know what that would be about though.
And, I do believe you live in Chi-town?
We will have to go for a ride sometime?
The Wisconsin Brevet schedual should be out soon I will post it. Hope
to see you and your Volae there.
Sharon is real close to you.
Looking forward to seeing you next season.

No pay, Kev, but I do get to ride a loaned Team for free. We bought
the one my wife rides. (I've purchased Bacchettas too... I got enough
love for everyone...)

As for wiggling, anything will do that if you crank on it hard enough,
I suppose. My point is that there are a lot of people speculating who
have never ridden the Volae. It is not a noodle.

I'm pretty sure it wiggles less than an Aero, (others have said the
same thing) but on the other hand, the Team does weigh a couple pounds
more since it's not Ti.

Post that Brevet schedule. I'd like to get out and ride some longer
distances, although that may be a ways off. I got creamed this weekend
by Gary Toy out in Barrington. I'm outta shape big time.

See you at the Chitown party.

Hi Seth,

I still have to disagree with you on this open forum.
The best "high racer design is the Bacchetta bikes".
I had the first prototype Aerocycle which is pretty much the same as
the Volae and it was a very wippy machine. The Aero is much stiffer at
the boom and of course with the thicker tubing it will be stiffer for
climbing.
The Volae is a older design sold at a reasonable price. But if you
want performance get an Aero. Ti is great and fatter tubes make for a
more effecient frame.
Sure you are not on the Payroll Seth?
My post is to bennifit those who are still shopping.
I could care less what bike anyone buys.
The Aero is the best high racer design. period.
Bacchetta has the fastest riders on there team. Did not see one fast
rider on a Volae.
I did ride one and it is like my old Aerocycle. It did "wiggle" and a
lot. The Aero is stiffer at the boom.
Like I said I could care less what bike anyone buys but if you want
performance the Ti Aero is the way to go.
You get what you pay for.
BTW, Richard Schwinn will build anything for a price. He wants a job
shop to keep his factory going.
I was there this summer. He was flabergasted by the Aero's design.
He can't build a bike like it with his current setup.
Just the facts.
I don't care what anyone of you thinks.
The truth is the truth. someone has to say it.
Old December 7th 03, 10:03 AM
nogoslow

Tom Sherman wrote in message ...
Seth Jayson wrote:
Post that Brevet schedule. I'd like to get out and ride some longer
distances, although that may be a ways off. I got creamed this weekend
by Gary Toy out in Barrington....

Gary rides a proper lowracer, not one of those nosebleed bikes.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

Hi Tom,

I am faster than Gary on my Aero.
I am faster than you on my MTB.
The only Chi-town guy I did not beat up on was Alan Arial on his Razz
Fazz with tail fairing.
Just the facts jack.
BTW, I hope not to read your Obit from riding a bike that is at
tailpipe height of your average SUV.
Hey, America is about choices dude....
You make yours I will make mine.
I suggest that you shut up when it comes to the speed department.
You don't have any on that sunset.
Old December 7th 03, 01:47 PM
Robert Siegel

My Volae Team is an exceptionally well designed and beautifully built
recumbent AND Hostel Shoppe's support (and return policy) is unbeatable.
The Volae is a pleasure to ride, handles extremely well and is very FAST. I
am 5'10", weigh 175 pounds and have not experienced ANY boom or frameset
"wiggle".

The Volae Team weighs only two pounds more than an Aero and has equal or
better quality components. My Volae Team costs about $1,000 less than an
Aero. In addition, the 6% sales tax on the no-mail-order Aero adds another
$250. The Volae Team goes as fast as I can make it go, which is faster ...
for me ... than any of the other six high quality recumbents I have owned.
I'm not a racer but at age 75 keeping up with the non-racing upright members
of the Gainesville Cycling Club is plenty good enough for me.

Finally, Rolf Garthus and his entire team are absolutely first class people
and a total pleasure to do business with. They rank right up there with the
two other class acts in the business: John Schlitter and the Bacchetta
folks and Gardner Martin and the Easy Racers group. All three provide
superb customer support but Rolf has gone the extra mile for me in fine
tuning and even volunteering to change some parts and specs on my new Volae
Team without my even asking. Very unusual in this day and age.

Bob Siegel in Gainesville FL

Old December 7th 03, 11:16 PM
Tom Sherman

nogoslow wrote:
Gary rides a proper lowracer, not one of those nosebleed bikes.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

Hi Tom,

I am faster than Gary on my Aero.

I will take your word on this.

I am faster than you on my MTB.

I have never ridden your MTB, so I do not see how you can say this.

The only Chi-town guy I did not beat up on was Alan Arial on his Razz
Fazz with tail fairing.
Just the facts jack.
BTW, I hope not to read your Obit from riding a bike that is at
tailpipe height of your average SUV.

Well, it would make Mr. Edward Dolan happy.

Hey, America is about choices dude....
You make yours I will make mine.

I have no problem with anyone riding a highracer (or an upright for that
matter.

I suggest that you shut up when it comes to the speed department.
You don't have any on that sunset.

I suggest that you learn the meaning of the following emoticon []. The
"nosebleed" comment was a joke - if you did not find it funny, you are
certainly free to voice an objection, but understand that it is a joke.
For what it is worth, I might purchase a highracer someday, and it might
even be a Bacchetta Aero.

As for my speed on the Sunset, I was faster on my Rocket two years ago
than I am on the Sunset now. Does that mean that the Rocket is a faster
bike than the Sunset? Of course not.

Final point. From the publicly available evidence (postings to Internet
forums) it would appear that you have bad relations with certain people
in the Chicagoland area that we are both acquainted with. From the tone
of your response it would appear that you are assuming that I am taking
their side in the grudge match. Nothing could be further from the truth
- the only time your name has come up in a conversation that I was part
of was with someone who is NOT part of the Chicagoland group, and he was
merely mentioning that he had ridden with you. The only real comment I
have on the differences between you and the others that I am acquainted
with is that it would behoove everyone to be civil. I am not pointing
fingers here, since I have not followed certain forums closely (e.g.
BROL's message board), and I do not care who was uncivil first, since be
treated uncivilly is not an excuse to return the behavior.

I have no problem with you, Bacchetta, or the Bacchetta Aero. If I were
in a better state of health and conditioning I would be happy to ride
with you, unless you did not want my company, in which case I would
politely let you go on your way while I went on mine.

Tom Sherman - Downstate Illinois

Old December 8th 03, 01:01 AM
Tom Sherman

Robert Siegel wrote:

Well said, Tom. All of it. You are mellowing. I would enjoy riding with
you.

You are welcome.

Tom Sherman
Old December 8th 03, 07:47 AM
nogoslow

I have no problem with you, Bacchetta, or the Bacchetta Aero. If I were
in a better state of health and conditioning I would be happy to ride
with you, unless you did not want my company, in which case I would
politely let you go on your way while I went on mine.

Tom Sherman - Downstate Illinois

Tom,

I have no problem with you either.
I just don't understand why you post where you don't seem to have any
real interest like this thread?
Free country I guess.
BTW, I agree with you on most issues and disagree with Mr. Dolan (or
whoever he is) most of the time.
I have more miles than anyone I know of on the high racer design so I
think that gives me some right to air my opinion.
My post was geared to those who are shopping and reading this forum.
Simple as that.
My next bike will be a lowracer.
Take care...

Kevin

Old December 8th 03, 02:53 PM
Robert Siegel

As I said at some length in a previous post, I bought a Volae Team and I'd
do it again.

However, I would TRY an Aero ... IF ... the Aero was close to the Volae's
price ... AND ... Bacchetta offered Hostel Shoppe's return option (a 5%
restocking fee, plus round trip shipping for $180 and no sales tax).

As always, though, YMMV.