Recumbent Urination

Old November 28th 03, 04:54 PM
J.Davis

Default Recumbent Urination

"Bob Slebodnik" wrote in message
om...
Recently, a gentleman send a letter to Recumbent Cyclist News about a
phenomenon that he has noticed: the increased need for (productive)
urination while riding a recumbent that disappears when not riding a
recumbent. I, too, have noticed this in my 6,000+ miles on
recumbents. I find that I have to stop every 45 minutes or so and
that sensation of needing to stop starts after only about 25 minutes.
Again, it is productive of a normal amount of urine when I stop so and
I don't notice this phenomenon in other aerobic activity or when not
riding a recumbent. I do not drink alot of fluids when I ride (though
I know that I should). I am not diabetic and do not seem to have
prostate problems. As far as ergonomics go, I have noticed this on my
Rans Tailwind and now on my Rans Velocity Squared. I would be
interested in knowing if this is a widespread phenomenon or not and if
anyone knows what causes it. Thank-you in advance for your assistance.

Sincerely,

Bob

Do you suppose there might be a way to use a hydration pack hooked up in
sort of a reverse fashion to increase the range between stops?

Frequent stopper,
jd

Old November 28th 03, 05:28 PM
Denny Voorhees

"
Do you suppose there might be a way to use a hydration pack hooked up in
sort of a reverse fashion to increase the range between stops?

Frequent stopper,
jd

I've thought about that on a number of uncomfortable occasions. My big
concern is that I would get confused
Denny in Sayre, Pa
"Bent but not Broken"

Old November 28th 03, 07:42 PM
Tom Sherman

"J.Davis" wrote:

Do you suppose there might be a way to use a hydration pack hooked up in
sort of a reverse fashion to increase the range between stops?...

See http://www.stadiumpal.com/. For disposal of waste without
stopping, see
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?action=serve&item=/Aircraft/Accessories/ReliefTube.html.
This device "Provides suction to outlet tubes and horn for ejection."

There was a long discussion on this topic on a.r.b.r. several years ago.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth
Old November 28th 03, 07:45 PM
Dean Arthur

Early biplane-era pilots had similar problem. Solved by fitting a bit
of tubing alongside seat and exiting the rear end.

Earliest airborne version of "golden showers." HI HI!
Old November 28th 03, 09:08 PM
Eddie H

Another health benefit of bents - regularity!
No fiber supplements necessary.
Bent-a-mucil.

you might be on to something Denny, I do think it has something to do
with the legs churning higher up, for me though, it brings on the old
#2! I'm real careful not to eat right before riding now.

Denny Voorhees wrote:
I've noticed it also. When I first went over to the Vrex from a BikeE, it
was URGENT urination. I applied the rule that "anywhere can be a bathroom",
many times.
The problem has pretty much gone away after the first year with the 'Rex. I
now ride a Giro. I do believe there is a more frequent urination thing
happening. It is not of the URGENT nature I experienced that first season on
the Vrex, more than 10,000 miles ago.
I think it may be due to the SWB, perhaps having the legs higher is a
contributor. Then again maybe its just old age manifesting itself in some
new and exciting way..
Denny in Sayre, Pa
"Bent but not Broken"

Old November 28th 03, 09:44 PM
Mikael Seierup

"Tom Sherman" skrev...

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/cgi-bin...s/ReliefTube.h
tml.
This device "Provides suction to outlet tubes and horn for ejection."

We had something similar in some of the older polish gliders
when I flew those. A rubber cup and a hose leading outside.
Once one of the pilots had flown a long time and had too much coffee
and decided to use this excellent system. I guess he forgot it in the preflight
check tho cause the tube was blocked. So he had to balance
the cup and contents all the way back to the field and while landing.

Beats the one who flew a more modern type where you were recumbent
in a sort of plastic tub. He had really to go and eventually he couldn't hold
it back anymore and the tub ensured it soaked his back.
He then landed out on a field somewhere and the farmer comes up and
chats with him. At some point the farmer then remarks "Wow, you sure
sweat a lot in those things." To which the poor pilot had to mumble some
affirmative noises.

M.

Old November 28th 03, 10:07 PM
Gene Cosloy

Joao de Souza wrote in message ...
Bob Slebodnik wrote:
Recently, a gentleman send a letter to Recumbent Cyclist News about a
phenomenon that he has noticed: the increased need for (productive)
urination while riding a recumbent

I noticed that on my very first recumbent ride. I even mentioned it on
my loooong report to the MARS mailing list (see
http://list.marsride.org/scripts/wa....=lf&S=&P=12473)

And yes, it still happens. I have to control my fluid intake a lot more
carefully when riding a bent.

Yes I too have experienced the same phenomenon: need to releive myself
after less than an hour of riding. Raises a question about the need
for a new product I dub the "Camel Front". You have your Camel Back
for hydration, and now the Camel Front for dehydration. The problem
with just relieving yourself in the woods or on some lonely back road
is: your never sure if and when someone with a small child will wiz by
and have you arrested for wiz-ing in public. I know it sounds paranoid
but stranger things have happened.
I usually kayak once a week, if the weather is not too cold and solve
the problem with a wide mouth Coleman plastic camp bottle. With the
spray skirt on , who's to know? We need something analagous for the
bent experience!

Gene
Old November 28th 03, 10:38 PM
Tom Sherman

Gene Cosloy wrote:

Yes I too have experienced the same phenomenon: need to releive myself
after less than an hour of riding. Raises a question about the need
for a new product I dub the "Camel Front". You have your Camel Back
for hydration, and now the Camel Front for dehydration....

Catheter/collection bag devices are available commercially.

The problem
with just relieving yourself in the woods or on some lonely back road
is: your never sure if and when someone with a small child will wiz by
and have you arrested for wiz-ing in public. I know it sounds paranoid
but stranger things have happened....

At my old cycling club, one member used to sing arias while relieving
himself. One time while doing so at a very small rural park, a young
adolescent girl happened to ride by. He had his back to the road, but I
believe that she understood what was happening.

I usually kayak once a week, if the weather is not too cold and solve
the problem with a wide mouth Coleman plastic camp bottle. With the
spray skirt on , who's to know? We need something analagous for the
bent experience!

A bodysock or a hard-shell fairing would provide sufficient privacy.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth
Old November 28th 03, 10:41 PM
Mikael Seierup

"Gene Cosloy" skrev...
Yes I too have experienced the same phenomenon: need to releive myself
after less than an hour of riding. Raises a question about the need
for a new product I dub the "Camel Front". You have your Camel Back
for hydration, and now the Camel Front for dehydration.

Better make the two tubes _very_ easy to tell apart. ;-)

Old November 28th 03, 10:47 PM
Dan Burkhart

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and have never posted before. This
one interested me because I thought all along it was just me. I am 50
years old, have no prostrate or urination issues. That is untill I get
on my Quetzal recumbent then it seems I have to go all the time. I do
drink a lot of water while riding, ( I'll empty a 100 oz camelback a
couple of times on a 90 k ride) but I drink a lot of water at other
times too. ( Always have, I'm not diabetic or anything) Definitly
something about the riding position