Wireless on recumbents (RANS Stratus)

Old December 23rd 03, 12:14 PM
John Tserkezis

Default Wireless on recumbents (RANS Stratus)

RVC wrote:

I've just purchased a Stratus and wonder if any improvements have been made
in the wireless computer world ? I've read the archives and it appears the
main problem(s) is/are transmission distance and durability. I can mount by
Garmin eTrex Vista on the bike as a solution, but would prefer a bike
computer.

Any recommendations, to include waiting for improvements! :-)

I've mentioned this 'trick' on another cycling group some time back, but
unless you're specifically looking for it, you probably won't stumble across it
with google.

I had serious problems with the Polar HRM and the wireless wheel sensor on my
upright. I found the Polar transmitter/receiver set is somewhat directional,
and the wheel transmitter just happened to be positioned in the worst possible
orientation- which also was the only possible place it could be mounted. It
was unreliable at best even with the transmitter power turned right up.

I solved the problem by using a passive antenna retransmitter. A simple
solution involving only wire. A coil around the transmitter, another similar
coil around the receiver, and the two joined by a wire pair.

Use thin wire, not critical at all, but the thinner the better (less space).
Wind about ten turns around two fingers (large enough to fit over the
transmitter) and a similar one near the receiver. Join the two coils together
with a pair of wires twisted together.

The idea being that the transmitter signal is received by the coil around it,
the signal travels along the wire pair to the other coil, and is effectively
re-transmitted to the nearby receiver.
Sure this is not an efficient system, but plenty good enough for the purpose.

So much so, that I could turn the Polar transmitter powers to minimum, which
saves on their battery power.

The wheel and cadence sensors that used to be the least reliable, are now the
most reliable. The chest strap transmitter is now the relatively unreliable
one, because it's still susceptible to interference, the others now appear immune.

I did the same thing on the 'bent, works perfectly.

Disadvantages are cosmetic, as it's now wired. But basically, your
alternative is to have a beautiful bike with a computer that doesn't work.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622 http://counter.li.org