Wheels and Tires for Velocity Squared

Old December 27th 03, 06:21 PM
Bob Slebodnik

Default Wheels and Tires for Velocity Squared

I am interested in making my 2003 Rans Velocity Squared (XL) a bit
lighter and faster. I have considered using the new, lighter Zephyr
seat and switching to Velocity Thracian wheels and faster tires.
However, this would be a bit pricey. I'm wondering about just
switching to the lighter seat cushion (which would save about 11 oz).
Does anyone know if one loses alot of comfort by switching to this
cushion? Also, any thoughts on keeping the standard Deore/Alex DA 16
wheels and switching to lighter (but still sturdy and dependable
tires)? Any suggestions for tires? Right now I'm using Schwalbe
Marathons (26 x 1.5 @ 600 grams and 20 x 1.5 @ 426 grams). I don't
know what the Deore/Alex wheels weigh but I'm sure the Velocity
Thracians are lighter at 564 grams in the front and 1038 grams in the
rear. I ride mostly on paved roads that are usually in good condition
in hilly upstate NY. Thank-you in advance for your comments and
suggestions.
Bob Slebodnik
Old December 27th 03, 10:20 PM
Mark Sperry

Bob,
I just replaced my R40 Deore/Alex DA16 wheels with the Velocity Thracians.
I weighed them during the switch. The front Thracian is 200 gr lighter and
the rear one is 425 gr lighter. That's well over a pound of weight. Also
saving weight on the wheels/tires results in a much greater energy saving
than on the seat. I use a 406X32 IRC Metro (285 g.) and 559X32 Avocet
Fasgrip City K (395g.) I have had zero problems with flats although I only
have about 1000 miles on them. I ride mostly pavement, but some of it is
very rough. If you can't afford the Velocity wheelset try some lighter
tire/tube combos. My only complaint is the rear Avocet seems to have less
traction than I would like. The IRC Metro might be better if you can find
it in 559X32. Problem is you can seldom find the right tires for front and
rear at the same source. I think Hostel Shoppe has the best selection.
There are good folks to deal with. Mark

om...

Old December 27th 03, 10:47 PM
Tom Sherman

Mark Sperry wrote:

... Also saving weight on the wheels/tires results in a much greater energy
saving than on the seat....

Incorrect "conventional wisdom" dies hard.

Tom Sherman – Close to 41½? N, 90½ W

Old December 28th 03, 12:07 AM
Robert Milligan

I get the Velocity Thracian wheel set on my V2. Also put Cont
grand prix on front and rear. 20x1 1/8 26x1 . My pedals weigh
260g I am at less 2 mph faster with a top speed of 29 mph on the flats.
` Bob Milligan V2

Old December 28th 03, 01:34 AM
Mark Leuck

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message

Mark Sperry wrote:

... Also saving weight on the wheels/tires results in a much greater

energy
saving than on the seat....

Incorrect "conventional wisdom" dies hard.

Tom Sherman - Close to 41½? N, 90½ W

He is correct but in the wrong sport, that is the case with motorcycles but
not bicycles

Old December 28th 03, 04:44 AM
mike s

(Robert Milligan) wrote in message ...
I get the Velocity Thracian wheel set on my V2. Also put Cont
grand prix on front and rear. 20x1 1/8 26x1 . My pedals weigh
260g I am at less 2 mph faster with a top speed of 29 mph on the flats.
` Bob Milligan V2

On our Barcroft Columbia tandem we switched from the standard RANS
seat cushion to the thin seat cushion. To me the switch is not so
much about weight but freeing up the gluts from being immersed in foam
and thus neutralizing their use (Dave Balfour noticed this and after
the switch I tend to agree with him). What surprised me is the
comfort is still there (and less bouncing). As to the wheels etc. I
would suggest trying a different tire before forking out the big money
for wheels. The Schwalbe Marathon is a nice tough tire. I now ride
them on my Rocket. I switched from Comp Pools which had given me flat
problems. But the tradeoff is that they are noticeably slower than
the low rolling resistance tires. My solution, if you will consider a
narrower tire, is the Stelvio. I have them on my Barcroft Virginia.
Front tire is still original and no flats in 3200 miles. Back tire
was replaced at 1300 miles due to a sidewall cut and no flats on the
new one since then (1900 miles). And they have very low rolling
resistance An alternative is Continental Grand Prixs. They are
tough tires (I think a little tougher than Stelvios) and fast too, but
I found their ride to be a little harsher. If the change in tires
doesn't give you the increase you are looking for then look at new
wheels. Just a suggestion.

Mike S.
ST. Louis, MO.

Barcroft Virginia