Bontrager Hub Rebuild

Old September 11th 03, 12:23 AM
Chris

Default Bontrager Hub Rebuild

My '02 Bontrager Race Tubeless rear hub needs a bit of TLC...it's been
through enough water, mud, and miles to warrant a rebuild anyway, but now
the tire spins pretty hearty when the cranks are spun backwards.

I'm planning on doing this myself - if I screw up my friends at the LBS will
bail me out - but have a question.

I downloaded the service .pdf from Bontrager's site, but amongst all the
varying hubs, '02 Race Tubeless isn't listed. There is a listing for '02
Race/Race Disc, which I imagine to be the same thing, but since they
differentiate between Race and Race Disc I'm thinking there's a possibility
they would do so for tubeless...even though the disc and non-disc hubs are
very different, and warrant diferentiation. I can't picture the Race
"normal" differeing from the Race Tubeless, but you never know. Maybe you
do...that's why I'm asking.

And yes, Carla, I would have e-mailed Bontrager, but they've been too slow
in my experience

And yes, JD, I'm aware Bontrager wheelsets are utter crap

Also, I'm going to repack (which is, I guess, an outdated term for cartridge
bearing hub relubing) with Park Polylube 1000...any problems/advice there?

Word.

Chris

Old September 11th 03, 10:34 AM
bomba

Chris wrote:

I downloaded the service .pdf from Bontrager's site, but amongst all the
varying hubs, '02 Race Tubeless isn't listed. There is a listing for '02
Race/Race Disc, which I imagine to be the same thing, but since they
differentiate between Race and Race Disc I'm thinking there's a
possibility they would do so for tubeless...even though the disc and
non-disc hubs are
very different, and warrant diferentiation. I can't picture the Race
"normal" differeing from the Race Tubeless, but you never know. Maybe you
do...that's why I'm asking.

Surely it's the rims that are tubeless, not the hubs...

a.bmx FAQ: http://www.t-online.de/~jharris/bmx_faq.htm
Old September 11th 03, 12:30 PM
Super Slinky

Chris said...

And yes, Carla, I would have e-mailed Bontrager, but they've been too slow
in my experience

I recently emailed Bontrager and got a response the same day. You might
want to look at the American Classic and Hugi web sites. I have a set of
Bontrager Race Disc and the hubs are rebadged Hugi Onyx.
Old September 11th 03, 10:48 PM
Chris

--

Yes, of course. Who am I, Travis?

I'm just covering my ass...since they listed every other model explicitly,
I'd like confirmation of my assumption before prying back the seals and
popping out cartridge bearings. Someone has to know more about Bontrager
hubs than me...even if it's the garbage man (just for you, JD).

Chris